It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

W.H.O. Report Links Ingredient in Roundup to Cancer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Unless you're saying that "If Monsanto-aided foods are so dangerous, then why aren't global cancer rates higher in the areas that import American agricultural products?".

You understood part of it. I tend to want to lead the horse to water... (so to speak). Is Monsanto and round up used in the countries with much higher cancer rates than the US? Like Denmark or France? If round up is as bad as you purport, and GM foods are as bad as people say, wouldn't you expect the US to have the highest cancer rates? We are a huge country literally swimming in GM foods and Monsanto round up. Not only that we grow HUGE amounts of Monsanto foods using these pesticides, cancer from exposure to these things should certainly increase the cancer rates over and above ingesting the food i would think. It seems logical to me.

Also for countries that import massive quantities of US grains grown with Monsanto round up why is there not a cancer spike in those countries?

But what does that have to do with "Roundup" causing negative affects in people?

Well everything... doesn't it? The report does notsay it is cancerous does it? Does it? And the evidence i have shown says it likely does NOT cause issues. It is just a "feeling" some people have that it SHOULD cause issues because pesticides are bad and Monsanto is evil blah blah blah. That is why you are losing the argument. Because facts simply don't reside on your side. Americans live longer now than ever before and we are saturated in GMO and Monsanto foods.

If they were as evil as everyone says we would have higher cancer rates than people who don't use it and live less longer than we did prior to Monsanto - especially people who live in farming areas. Is that happening? No. Do the poor countries that import huge amounts of grain from the US have higher cancer rates?

It's junk science. That's why the report was so limp. They WANTED to slam Monsanto but they couldn't because there isn't any evidence to back up the claims by those that just feel like Monsanto is big "E" evil.

Here is another tid bit. Do you think any of the US corn is grown with roundup?
Corn producers/importers

V

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Variable

Unless you're saying that "If Monsanto-aided foods are so dangerous, then why aren't global cancer rates higher in the areas that import American agricultural products?".

You understood part of it. I tend to want to lead the horse to water... (so to speak). Is Monsanto and round up used in the countries with much higher cancer rates than the US? Like Denmark or France? If round up is as bad as you purport, and GM foods are as bad as people say, wouldn't you expect the US to have the highest cancer rates? We are a huge country literally swimming in GM foods and Monsanto round up. Not only that we grow HUGE amounts of Monsanto foods using these pesticides, cancer from exposure to these things should certainly increase the cancer rates over and above ingesting the food i would think. It seems logical to me.

Also for countries that import massive quantities of US grains grown with Monsanto round up why is there not a cancer spike in those countries?

But what does that have to do with "Roundup" causing negative affects in people?

Well everything... doesn't it? The report does notsay it is cancerous does it? Does it? And the evidence i have shown says it likely does NOT cause issues. It is just a "feeling" some people have that it SHOULD cause issues because pesticides are bad and Monsanto is evil blah blah blah. That is why you are losing the argument. Because facts simply don't reside on your side. Americans live longer now than ever before and we are saturated in GMO and Monsanto foods.

If they were as evil as everyone says we would have higher cancer rates than people who don't use it and live less longer than we did prior to Monsanto - especially people who live in farming areas. Is that happening? No. Do the poor countries that import huge amounts of grain from the US have higher cancer rates?

It's junk science. That's why the report was so limp. They WANTED to slam Monsanto but they couldn't because there isn't any evidence to back up the claims by those that just feel like Monsanto is big "E" evil.

Here is another tid bit. Do you think any of the US corn is grown with roundup?
Corn producers/importers

V

LOL wow, you started off with a nice argument and then spiraled into ridiculing, accusations, and more. But I'll bite.

First, I'm guessing you didn't read the study in the OP that says the main ingredient in Roundup may cause cancer. Those are the "facts" you should be debating. If you don't agree with the study, that's fine. But aim that at the study, not me.

2nd, there was a follow up post showing how Roundup was linked to many cases of sicknesses & a lot of deaths globally. You should probably read that post & reply to it. I read it & replied to it. I added that I'd seen reports on links between Roundup & autism, but wasn't sure how credible they were. But I stated that if the links to deaths that were reported in said post were true, then that would be the game changer. I stand by that belief.

As for those other countries & cancer rates. As I've already stated, there are almost 200 countries globally and the US has the 6th highest rate of cancer in the world. How do you not see that as problematic or as proof of a large rate of cancer? It was your own link, and it puts us at #6. Furthermore, I checked the populations of the 5 countries with cancer rates than us and here are the result:

Denmark 5.6 million people, France 66.6 million people, Australia 23.7 million people, Belgium 11.2 million people, Norway 5.1 million people, and then USA 320 million people. In other words, the US has almost 3 times as many people as all of those countries combined! (112.2 million people compared to 320 million people). That means we'd have vastly more people with cancer than those countries, since your link listed cancer rates per 100,000 people. So your link is actually proving my point for me. And once again, out of the nearly 200 countries in the world, your link showed that only 5 other countries have higher rates of cancer than us. And all of them have substantially smaller populations than us so the number of people with cancer would be smaller as well.

As for causing cancer. If you actually read the other posts I've made in this thread, you'll see that in no way do I think Roundup is the only cause of cancer. I even made a detailed post describing how many different types of cancer there are (200+) and that 40% of those can be avoided by our actions & lifestyles. So what are you even talking about?

Honestly, I don't even know why you're being so condescending. Just because something can cause cancer doesn't mean that it will cause cancer. Otherwise we'd all have skin cancer from the sun; anyone who's ever been near wood smoke would have lung cancer; and anyone who's ever smelled most petroleum based fuels would have cancer as well. Because all of those can cause cancer. The point is that once you know something can cause cancer, you usually try to create guidelines on how much is safe. And if there is no safe amount, you usually ban it and/or recall it.

Oh and as for the poor countries that import American crops. Which ones? Have you listed which countries you're talking about or are you just assuming it's the poor countries that are importing them? I ask this because I provided a link earlier showing that 90% of food in Africa came from small farms, not from imports. FYI, Africa is the second most populous continent, with more than 1 billion people. And the ironic part is that not a single one of Africa's 50+ countries is on the list for the world's highest cancer rates that you provided. Let me repeat that. Not a single African country is on the list for the world's highest cancer rates that you provided. So how does that hurt my argument? But I noticed you ignored that part.

Oh, I also provided a link to a story from India highlighting their remarkable increase in crops yields, that also coincided with a remarkable increase in cancer rates. And the link says they are looking at the increased usage of pesticides used in the concerned areas. But you conveniently ignored that as well

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Hopefully this will help get it off the market.

F&S&

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
For those of you on the fence, why not lean towards caution instead of throwing your opinion out for the wind (in this case, mass marketing and out & out lies)?

en.wikipedia.org... ::

Revenue Increase $2.82 Billion USD (2013)
Net income Increase $174.4 Million USD (2013)

The company's principal consumer brands in North America are Scotts, Miracle-Gro, and Ortho. In addition, Scotts is Monsanto's exclusive agent for the marketing and distribution of consumer Roundup.

On January 27, 2012, Scotts Miracle-Gro agreed to plead guilty in federal court and pay $4.5 million in fines for selling 73 million units of bird seed from November 2005 to March 2008 that was coated with pesticide known to be deadly to birds and fish. Pesticides were added to protect the product from insects during storage, notwithstanding that Storcide II, one of the pesticides used, was clearly marked as extremely toxic to birds. Records show that its own experts warned of the risk in the summer and fall of 2007 and yet Scotts continued to sell the deadly product until March 2008. In 2008, Scotts Miracle-Gro also falsified pesticide registration numbers required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on its products.[5]

Scotts Miracle-Gro’s UK subsidiary, The Scotts Company, recently purchased the Solus brands which includes Yeoman hand tools. Although Scott’s is the leading garden care company in the world[/], it lacks a competitive hand tools brand. Yeoman will fill a gap in Scott’s brand portfolio in the UK, and if this move is successful, Scott’s can adapt the strategy worldwide.
blog.euromonitor.com...

Here are Scotts brands for home use and which countries they're sold in:

Scotts - US, Canada, Australia, Benelux, Germany
Miracle-Gro - US, Canada, Australia, China, UK
Ortho - US, Canada
Round-up - US, Canada, UK, Australia, France, Germany
Substral - Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Norway, Poland, Sweden
Love the Garden - UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands
Evergreen - UK
Celaflor - Germany, Hungary
Osmocote - US
Fertilgene - France
KB - France
Pathclear - UK
Scotts Ecosense - Canada
Ortho Elementals - US
Weedol - UK
Scotts Lawn Service - US
Tomcat - US

People should be boycotting Scott's products but instead, they're buying BILLIONS of dollars of product annually. Granted not all of their products contain glyphosate but the majority of them do.

Here is one person's post on information on the 80% decline of Songbirds in the US:

www.facebook.com...
Robert Jay Russell, Ph.D.,

Coton de Tulear Club of America President,

_www.cotonclub.org_ (www.cotonclub.org...)

[email protected]_ (mailto:[email protected])

(607) 693-2828

March 15th, 2012. I am shaking and near tears as I write this. I am so mad, furious, saddened and depressed I cannot express my emotions clearly. Here's the story:

For many years -- for at least between 2005 and 2008 -- Scott's Miracle Gro company sold 73 million bags of deliberately poisoned wild bird seed. Bird seed that their executives and many workers in the company INTENTIONALLY sprayed with pesticides known fatal to birds and mammals. They did so to reduce their losses in storage even though they knew when they bagged the seed for sale to consumers it would kill the very birds their buyers were trying to feed and protect!! All wildlife was at risk and so were the pets and children in our yards who had access to fallen seed. Scott's sold 2.8 billion dollars worth of products worldwide in 2011.

Wrap your minds around the horror: greedy Scotts executives had millions of consumers spending over one BILLION dollars to buy their product and kill the songbirds of America. What damage have they done worldwide? It is truly mind-boggling that a single company, for purposes of pure greed alone, may kill a major portion of the world's fauna! Is that a big enough horror story? Should that not be front page news everywhere in America?

PERSONAL NOTE: for many years I have assiduously stocked my four bird feeders with seed year round, often trekking out to the back yard through snow at 3AM to make sure the morning birds will have their seeds. I used well over a hundred pounds of seed per month. Over the years I have used, mainly, seed from Wild Birds Unlimited, but I have also, on occasion, purchased 25-pound bags of Scott's Morning Song bird seeds from Lowes, Wegmans (supermarket) and elsewhere. Unknowingly, I was KILLING the very creatures I was trying to help!! So were millions of other people nationwide. Indeed, there are current estimate of 80% declines in song bird populations here in the US. No one knows why. Now, this may well be a partial explanation for this horrible ecocide!

As a result of the backlash, National Wildlife Federation and ScottsMiracle-Gro partnership was terminated.

And now, as I previously posted, we have learned that glyphosate is being used as a desiccant (food dryer/de-humidifier), especially on wheat. It's no wonder that people are intolerant to wheat products and the numbers will only rise.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases II: Celiac spru and gluten intolerance

Abstract

Celiac disease, and, more generally, gluten intolerance, is a growing problem worldwide, but especially North America and Europe, where an estimated 5% of the population now suffers from it.

*snip*

Gut dysbiosis, brought on by exposure to glyphosate, plays a crucial role in the development of celiac disease.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

UPDATE

Monsanto Demands World Health Organization Retract Report That Says Roundup Is Linked to Cancer

...Monsanto is demanding the WHO retract the report, essentially repudiating years of research by multiple scientists. Monsanto is claiming the report was biased and that glyphosate products like Roundup are safe when the directions are followed. The company says that the WHO report contradicts regulatory findings, which can, of course, be influenced by politics and lobbying. So far, WHO has not responded.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join