It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police commander resigns in wake of Homan Square revelations

page: 1

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Resignation of Nicholas Roti, a veteran police officer who operated over the controversial police warehouse, comes as attorneys announce civil rights lawsuit.

A senior Chicago police commander in charge of a major unit operating out of the controversial Homan Square police warehouse has resigned, the Guardian has confirmed.

The news came as attorneys for three Homan Square victims announced that they would file the first civil rights lawsuit over the facility with the aim of shutting down the complex likened by attorneys and activists to the domestic law enforcement equivalent of a CIA “black site.”

Chicago police commander resigns in wake of Homan Square revelations

Now the firing/resignations begin as a first step in the white wash of the Chicago black site at Homan Square. The liquidation of facts in the case of this sort of site is a given in order to reduce structural failures of the system. It also will serve to reduce the incumbent power structures exposure to the revelations of the brutal reality of what has become of government involvement in human rights violations run rampant in the US.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Those who have historically enjoyed mocking the tin-foil conspiracy about the inevitability of this kind of police state do not like having Homan Square brought up in the least!!

It is funny how more and more of these theories become fact!

Strange world indeed!

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Thank you for this ... enthusiastic flag and star! This is very good
news; if for no other reason to put the CPD on notice that 4th
and other constitutional violations on the citizenry are going
to be prosecuted. The whole idea of the site is mind blowing.

I am too close to Chicago for comfort, and it wouldn't have mattered
if it had been anywhere else... it's supposed to be America where we
live, not Gitmo on the Bridgeport. Separate story, same problem.
edit on 21-3-2015 by derfreebie because: Vote for Bagman and nobody gets hurt...

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove
Those who have historically enjoyed mocking the tin-foil conspiracy about the inevitability of this kind of police state do not like having Homan Square brought up in the least!!

It is funny how more and more of these theories become fact!

Strange world indeed!

Stranger than fiction, EG. It can make you wonder about the
nature of the act and location-- and how many more go unnoticed.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

The truth is the enemy of the state in this day and age I am afraid. When the government is afraid of the truth it has reached its end in useful propose to the people.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

The truth is the enemy of the state in this day and age I am afraid. When the government is afraid of the truth it has reached its end in useful propose to the people.

The silver lining I see in this wonderful quote good sir is that the real truth of the matter, when you have a highly evolved civilization there is no need for government! It has served it purpose and as we work towards reclaiming our true power and inherent sovereignty we shall collectively see this more and more!

Fun fact about the etymology of the word government- Gubernare- to control and the term mens - mind, I will go ahead and reference someone who has quickly become my favorite researcher Mark Passio

If you have never heard of him, I hope you enjoy his work, I know I have!
edit on America/ChicagoSaturdayAmerica/Chicago03America/Chicago331amSaturday2 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Fun fact about the etymology of the word government- Gubernare- to control and the term mens mind, I will go ahead and reference someone who has quickly become my favorite researcher Mark Passio

He needs to research his Latin a bit more, I'm afraid. There's more "-mentum" than "mens" there.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Did you watch the video? He goes on to explain his research.

Could you expand upon your understanding of where "mentum" comes from, I being very ignorant of the Latin language thought his explanation made sense, perhaps you could help me with yours

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Did you watch the video? He goes on to explain his research.

I'm sure. And he's incorrect.

Mens/mentis DOES mean mind (or chin...) but never as a suffix. "-mente" is a helper suffix to convert adjectives to adverbs, "mentum" to nouns. It's the English equivalent to adding "-ly" or "-wise" so that it means "in this manner". So you take kybernum "to steer" and add on mente and you get "to steer in this way". The root of it in Latin was "men" -> "concrete result".

Merriam-Webster: Origin of -MENT

Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin -mentum; akin to Latin -men, suffix denoting concrete result, Greek -mat-, -ma

eta: there was a long boring thread on this very thing here at least once. There are a lot of people who try to do amateur etymology. I particularly like "politics", "poly" meaning many, and "tics" being blood suckers. But like government = mind control, it's got a lot of flaws.
edit on 21-3-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Looking at wiktionary, it appears to validate his stance

mens as a noun- mind

In Late Latin, this construction began to be extended to other adjectives and uses as well, and in Vulgar Latin and the later Romance languages, it became a general adverbial suffix.

Ok so really it is irrelevant to the OP as to what we think about the etymology of this word, for that OP I apologize.

Back on point, Bedlam what is your take on the Homan Square scandal, I find it utterly disturbing and a good marker as to where the aggressive police state has gotten to in this country!

Everyday I feel more and more like the a German in 1938 who was trying to warn people about the controllers plans!?
edit on America/ChicagoSaturdayAmerica/Chicago03America/Chicago331amSaturday4 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Everyday I feel more and more like the a German in 1938 who was trying to warn people about the controllers plans!?

I feel the same way. The US so the world is rapidly moving into a police state framework the likes of which history has never seen. The Nazi and the East German Stazi never had the technology the modern day Technocrats possess. We are entering into the most frightening era human liberty has ever known.

edit on 03am2015-03-21T08:22:35-05:0008223America/Chicago22331 by machineintelligence because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Back when the Department of Homeland "Your papers, now!" Security was birthed, I was among the many who predicted a rather steep incline in fascism was inbound. I recall enduring the resulting poo-poo-fest, because of how important 'security' is. I was educated in how this was a 'federal' thing about "preparedness' and how it was and American iconic response "never again" kind of thing....

And then.... suddenly, and most fluidly, combat-grade military gear and methods were brought into the fold of 'police' institutions, en masse... media began to worship and entertain us with endless shows about "tactics." And citizens were increasingly pinched to "sacrifice" more and more for "security."

So, perhaps years ago, when the anecdotal evidence of the kinds of "takings" we used to only hear about in sometimes fascist regimes of old (like maybe Guatemala, Chile, El Salvador; Yemen, or Lebanon, etc.) were actually happening here; I started speculating that we probably have scores of merchant marine ships acting as the "nowhere" to which these people might be disappearing. Paint me foolish.

Things are so "secure" for the thugs in charge now, they can use any of the thousands of abandoned facilities around the neighborhood.... Local authorities won't even 'go there' because the gravy train of DHS programs is on the line....

Welcome to a new America. The saddest part is that there is now, no end to it in sight.

Tired as it may sound, security is a myth. We require an actual response from policy-makers who scoffed at us when we broached such subjects in the past. And I suggest most strongly that we leave faith out of the equation.

Not ideology, not populist tripe... I mean faith. The interests and influences that inform us need us to never believe we are safe. They provoke our faith in danger and calamity. They idolize confrontation. These kinds of practices, which legitimizes dissent are - in and of themselves - what we must be secure from. Think they'll offer up that option?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Looking at wiktionary, it appears to validate his stance

mens as a noun- mind

Except you're not using mens as a noun when you tack it on as a suffix. It's like saying there's a word in English "try" that means to attempt. So if I tack it on as a suffix, it still means to attempt. Therefore "country" means to attempt to coun.

Looking at wiktionary, if you look at the suffix form of ment and not the noun itself, it does NOT -

Etymology

From Late Latin -amentum, from -mentum via Old French -ment.
Suffix

-ment

Used to form nouns from verbs, the nouns having the sense of "the action or result of what is denoted by the verb".

Usage notes

Generally attached to stem without changes, except when the stem ends in -dge, where the -e is sometimes dropped, as in abridgment, acknowledgment, judgment, and lodgment, with the forms without -e being preferred in American English. Of these, judgment is the most significant, and usage varies globally; see Judgment: Spelling for discussion.

Go, see!

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Back on point, Bedlam what is your take on the Homan Square scandal, I find it utterly disturbing and a good marker as to where the aggressive police state has gotten to in this country!

Well, I'd like to say to any and all terrorists, if you have a nuclear weapon, we spit at you! And we can endure anything you do with your weapon, except for the love of Allah, do not place it in Chicago, for then we will be vanquished. Chicago or the IRS headquarters. That would be poor form.

Anyway, I find that being able to "vanish" someone for any sort of hardcore interrogation under the guise of "holding them as material witnesses" so you don't have to book them or provide them with legal counsel, food, water or sanitary facilities is exactly the sort of thing that "good cops" would refrain from. Haven't seen a lot of refraining or complaining going on. Therefore, QED.

Also if the laws regarding holding people as material witnesses permit this sort of thing, then it's obvious that police are abusing what might have been a handy tool, so it's time to take that away from them with a bit of timely legislation. Obviously what you can do to/with such a detainee needs to be better defined for them.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Back when the Department of Homeland "Your papers, now!" Security was birthed, I was among the many who predicted a rather steep incline in fascism was inbound. I recall enduring the resulting poo-poo-fest, because of how important 'security' is. I was educated in how this was a 'federal' thing about "preparedness' and how it was and American iconic response "never again" kind of thing....

And then.... suddenly, and most fluidly, combat-grade military gear and methods were brought into the fold of 'police' institutions, en masse... media began to worship and entertain us with endless shows about "tactics." And citizens were increasingly pinched to "sacrifice" more and more for "security."

So, perhaps years ago, when the anecdotal evidence of the kinds of "takings" we used to only hear about in sometimes fascist regimes of old (like maybe Guatemala, Chile, El Salvador; Yemen, or Lebanon, etc.) were actually happening here; I started speculating that we probably have scores of merchant marine ships acting as the "nowhere" to which these people might be disappearing. Paint me foolish.

Things are so "secure" for the thugs in charge now, they can use any of the thousands of abandoned facilities around the neighborhood.... Local authorities won't even 'go there' because the gravy train of DHS programs is on the line....

Welcome to a new America. The saddest part is that there is now, no end to it in sight.

Tired as it may sound, security is a myth. We require an actual response from policy-makers who scoffed at us when we broached such subjects in the past. And I suggest most strongly that we leave faith out of the equation.

Not ideology, not populist tripe... I mean faith. The interests and influences that inform us need us to never believe we are safe. They provoke our faith in danger and calamity. They idolize confrontation. These kinds of practices, which legitimizes dissent are - in and of themselves - what we must be secure from. Think they'll offer up that option?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

You are and were right, nothing less than the OWS movement brought that to the fore, which showed the breed and now the same OTT forces to bolster regional difficulties, regardless of merit, or discussion.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Gearing the police state up... Scaling back from wars to use the military tech at home, and soon resistance will be either futile or... We stop this nonsense now.

Growing up I was always told another civil war will be likely in my lifetime; Government V. The people.. I for one would like that to be handled sensibly without any harm to anyone before it gets to that point.

The best thing we have on the people's side is technology and communication. Hence why the truth, as was said earlier, is enemy#1.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Also if the laws regarding holding people as material witnesses permit this sort of thing, then it's obvious that police are abusing what might have been a handy tool, so it's time to take that away from them with a bit of timely legislation. Obviously what you can do to/with such a detainee needs to be better defined for them.

We're talking Illinois here. Specifically Chicago, the home of the original gangsters, police brutality and political corruption, Other than a few scapegoats being sacrificed, nothing much will be done and they'll move on to business as usual. If they have one of these, they have 5..... or 7 or 12. Police are not going to give up their little toys easily and you can bet there will be a lot of smoke and mirrors to make everyone think Justice is being done, but in the end, we're also talking crooked cops and we know they will get away with it. Some money will be awarded, a few will lose their jobs [ pensions intact though ] and the higher ups will have a field day harumphing in front of the cameras, saying "We won't tolerate this in our city " all the while hoping the other facilities are not found and no one uncovers more embarrassing dirt.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
does that commander think we are stupid? we know youre involved if you step down at such a convinient time!

new topics

top topics

join