It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About Adam & Eve

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have been pondering about these characters and have reached the conclusion that they represent not individuals but rather two familes or tribes. In context the biblical passages make more sense.

In addition, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil represents the learnings of science while the tree of life is a representation of faith without science.

Similar interpretation can be applied to the characters of Cain & Abel. These are not individuals but each representing a family tribe

?What are your views ATS members.
edit on 20-3-2015 by Tindalos2013 because: grammar typo

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
That line of thinking would probably help support Christian viewpoints in a Genesis situation.
However, in at least the KJB they are referred to pretty succinctly as individuals. For instance, Cain being driven singularly from the garden. Eve choosing as an individual to partake of the tree of knowledge. Their lists of families and generations are explained in some detail afterwards as well.

I'm an atheist, so I see the entire story as a fable at best, but mostly engineered to establish male dominance in the Christian faith rather than how Pagan beliefs held the female in higher regard.

Here's some links that you might enjoy that I see as not enforcing my non-beliefs upon you.

www.patheos.com...
www.debate.org...
edit on 20-3-2015 by gottaknow because: changed "by" to "my"

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tindalos2013
I have been pondering about these characters and have reached the conclusion that they represent not individuals but rather two familes or tribes. In context the biblical passages make more sense.

In addition, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil represents the learnings of science while the tree of life is a representation of faith without science.

Similar interpretation can be applied to the characters of Cain & Abel. These are not individuals but each representing a family tribe

?What are your views ATS members.

Well, it gets a little difficult when they are, (As Adam and Eve) portrayed as progenitors of the human race, although many like to accommodate, "incest as being something common in those days" or, "That Bible doesn't say there were no other people around in those days" Neither make sense in any Garden of Eden, so a tree of life in the Garden of Eden represents not so much either.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tindalos2013

You should read "From Eden to Exile" By David Rohl. He proposes very similar ideas to what you have suggested here. I think you would enjoy his books. Some might call it "Pseudo Archaeology" but they would do so presumptiously. Rohl's books and theories are at the very least excellent food for thought.

S&F

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

By one man entered sin. That man was Adam. If you throw out the notion that Adam and Eve were two existing individuals, then just discard the bible entirely.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I think its a story of the development of the intellect I also think its metaphoric.There was two people and two trees, the tree of life, represents the Woman. The tree of Knowledge with the serpent in it, represents the Man.
If you think about when the woman was created for man and when he first saw her naked I believe the male would of had a sensual desire and the woman could see and feel this spiritual sensual energy, Its called concupiscence the woman can also project this energy. But when she projects this energy you can't see it like you can with a male. I believe she understood this was a fiscal and natural spiritual force. Her intellect could use this knowledge to usurp the power of the man and so its still going on today not much has changed. But I will say that woman was first to use intellect.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I don't see how you would reach such a conclusion. To believe in 'Adam' and 'Eve', you have to first believe that the Bible is accurate, and the Bible makes it quite clear that they were individuals.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I didn't say it wasn't literal. a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

edit on 20-3-2015 by Michaelfunction because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Do you take the entire book literally? Talking snakes and all?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I do and I don't the holy spirit reveals what it will. a reply to: DeadSeraph

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Do you take the entire book literally? Talking snakes and all?

Of course not. I don't take any of it to be anything more than folk tales and mythology.

I just thought the OP's was an odd conclusion, since if one believes that the Adam and Eve story has any factual basis, that belief must stem from the Biblical account, which makes it apparent that they were two individuals. That's all...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
And there is the school of thought, complete w/a "Rule Book" that starts out:

"In the beginning was Adam(u) and Lilith, created from the same dirt..." (read: equal.) At one point Adam(u) TELLS, Lilith to iron His shirts and do the dishes and this enflames Lilith because remember they are "Equal" She ended up married to the prophet Samael.

Then the Quorum, the Men who wrote the one the Abrahams keep fighting over, had "Eve" appear and how is Eve brought forth/evoked? from a bit of Adam's rib, this of course makes those who squat to pee, behind the 8-ball before the game begins.

But because We have entered the 'Yin, the Devine Feminine' this along with all the other patriarchal bull snip can exit, stage left..

Or if You're citing the Rule Book that TheGideons™ left in some fleabag hotel/motel room's desk drawer, which one? They must be up to at least a dozen different, to further divide the division...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

You should check out the story about Adam and Eve that is in the Urantia Book. It is very different from the Bible's version. The Urantia Book claims to be written by celestial beings and even though that sounds kind of far fetched when once you read the book it seems very plausible. The way the various papers are written is unlike anything I have ever seen. It is very high quality and the story of God, the Universe and our place in it makes me look forward to the future. The book is written in such a way that you are supposed to read from start to finish. I say that because names, places or terms will be used that may not make sense to you if you haven't read the preceding papers.

The Urantia Book describes a universe that is teeming with life. There are Trillions of inhabited planets and all of them have life that was purposely fostered and tailored for that planet. There is a way that is considered normal for a planet to develop and one aspect of that is for what the Urantia Book calls a Material Son and Daughter to come to the planet to be the biologic uplifters to the mortal races.

Our planet is not running normally due to the Lucifer Rebellion. We were one of 37 planets to be affected by this rebellion. Due to that we have been of quarantined. This isolation put a big strain on the mission of Adam and Eve as they did not have the normal communication with their colleagues. They defaulted and were degraded to the status of a mortal and eventually died.

The full story can be read at the link below.

Adam and Eve (www.urantia.org...)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

Thanks for the links.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

By one man entered sin. That man was Adam. If you throw out the notion that Adam and Eve were two existing individuals, then just discard the bible entirely.

It's a notion possible that the truth of the Bible in the 21st has been entirely misunderstood.
This religion of Christianity and the other Faiths perhaps should be discarded. It's entirely evident that it need a magical transmogrification.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: UB2120

Thanks for the Urantia links. What you wrote about this is intriguing.
edit on 20-3-2015 by Tindalos2013 because: I added additional text. ?Who reads these any way. no one ever bothers to write in the edit box even though they should.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Did Adam and eve have belly buttons?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Genesis 3:20 NIV
Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living.

Become being the operative word.

Doesn't this imply it was just the two of them, but they would become the parents of humankind? I don't see how that verse is supporting two tribes.

Genesis 4:1-2 NIV
Adam made love to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, “With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man.” 2 Later she gave birth to his brother Abel.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: UB2120

You should check out the story about Adam and Eve that is in the Urantia Book. It is very different from the Bible's version. The Urantia Book claims to be written by celestial beings and even though that sounds kind of far fetched when once you read the book it seems very plausible. The way the various papers are written is unlike anything I have ever seen. It is very high quality and the story of God, the Universe and our place in it makes me look forward to the future. The book is written in such a way that you are supposed to read from start to finish. I say that because names, places or terms will be used that may not make sense to you if you haven't read the preceding papers.

The Urantia Book describes a universe that is teeming with life. There are Trillions of inhabited planets and all of them have life that was purposely fostered and tailored for that planet. There is a way that is considered normal for a planet to develop and one aspect of that is for what the Urantia Book calls a Material Son and Daughter to come to the planet to be the biologic uplifters to the mortal races.

Our planet is not running normally due to the Lucifer Rebellion. We were one of 37 planets to be affected by this rebellion. Due to that we have been of quarantined. This isolation put a big strain on the mission of Adam and Eve as they did not have the normal communication with their colleagues. They defaulted and were degraded to the status of a mortal and eventually died.

The full story can be read at the link below.

Adam and Eve (www.urantia.org...)

The Urantia Book is nothing more than quasi-religious nonsense written by a small group of separatist Seventh Day Adventists in the late 1940s. Much of it was plagiarized, and every single bit of 'science' mentioned was in line with what was known in the 40's, when it was written, but has since been proven to be incorrect, so why should the rest of it be given any serious consideration? It has absolutely zero credibility as anything other than a (poor) work of mid 20th century fiction.

Looking at your username and avatar, it's quite clear that you have an agenda here, concerning the Urantia trash....

originally posted by: Tindalos2013
a reply to: UB2120

Thanks for the Urantia links. What you wrote about this is intriguing.

I strongly suggest you do some research and look at some unbiased sources (ie. not UB2120) before wasting your time reading the Urantia garbage, or even worse, believing it.
edit on 3/21/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Yet once Cain slays Abel and is expelled to the land of Nod, he pleads with God so that the people in Nod will not slay him (and God marks him)

"Behold, You have driven me this day from the face of the ground; and from Your face I will be hidden, and I will be a vagrant and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me." 15So the LORD said to him, "Therefore whoever kills Cain, vengeance will be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORD appointed a sign for Cain, so that no one finding him would slay him. 16Then Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden.

Additionally, Cain meets his future wife in Nod, further implying there were already people there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join