It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 off duty cops drive wrong way on highway, crash into tractor trailer, guess who got breathalizer?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

The problem with a mouth swab vs breath test is that the swab will hit positive on anything that had alcohol in it that was in your mouth. Like say mouthwash.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So...you are saying that anyone who is involved in a fatal car accident would receive a breathalyzer, even when it is obvious as to who caused the accident.

It doesn't always have to involve a fatality I worked for the Illinois department of transportation for many years and if we were involved in any accident fault or not we had to go for a urine and breath test, I've been hit parked on the shoulder more than once in my career and had to drop for the state even though it was not my fault.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Makes sense. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Working jobs that mandate drug testing does not account for everyone. I understand that some jobs require a higher level of responsibility, so there for the drug testing. However if I were involved in a fatal accident and was not at fault, I would not expect to be drug tested.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Everyone involved in any fatal accident receives either a breath test or blood test..

Standard procedure

you admit the officers were likely "hammered out of their gourds"

and I'll agree to the above quoted being fully in agreement

the driver of the tractor-trailer passed a breathalyzer test and does not appear to be at fault.

but if he'd had a beer or 2 and it'd registered no matter how slightly
you and I know who'd have the blame thrust upon...

since we're discussing this as adults...

regards

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AdamuBureido

Of course it would have been on the truck driver. As I said before, truck drivers are held to a much higher standard. I've heard of truckers that hit drunks that were charged with crimes because they were over hours.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

She said the driver of the tractor-trailer passed a breathalyzer test and does not appear to be at fault.

That's just official-double-speak gone nuts.

'Does not appear to be at fault'...that's a classic.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I heard a report on this accident yesterday on radio that said the driver of the car was something like twice the legal limit according to the blood samples drawn at the hospital. I've searched and can't find the story and I have no idea what agency was reporting since I was waiting in an office that had a radio playing. The story said that charges were expected to be brought against the driver.
Here is the latest I can find about the story: www.mycentraljersey.com...
Apparently this wasn't his first time being drunk and driving....this story brings up a whole mess of new questions.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
So apparently the driver had a previous DUI crash while employed at the dept, and furthermore has a total of 8 vehicular accidents:

www.nj.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

The strip club toast to starting a family was a nice touch too!

ETA: Make that TWO PREVIOUS DUIS WHILE EMPLOYED AT THE DEPARTMENT:
www.nj.com...

As well as multiple arrests..... And he was still on a PD payroll!?!?!? Wow.

edit on 25-3-2015 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

If he had been over his hours it would have been his fault.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
I heard a report on this accident yesterday on radio that said the driver of the car was something like twice the legal limit according to the blood samples drawn at the hospital. I've searched and can't find the story and I have no idea what agency was reporting since I was waiting in an office that had a radio playing. The story said that charges were expected to be brought against the driver.
Here is the latest I can find about the story: www.mycentraljersey.com...
Apparently this wasn't his first time being drunk and driving....this story brings up a whole mess of new questions.

Best part of the article...

Abad's driver's license was suspended for 210 days on Oct. 16, 2013, following a Feb. 26, 2013, accident in Rahway in which he received violations for driving under the influence and refusing to submit to a chemical test, according to Elyse Coffey, Motor Vehicle Commission of New Jersey spokeswoman.

The suspension ended on May 14, 2014, when his driving privileges were restored, but the Rahway Municipal Court judge also required Abad to drive with an ignition interlocking device on his vehicle, used to measure a driver's breath alcohol content before the vehicle will start. Coffey said the 180-day period ended on Sept. 11, 2014.

It is unclear if, or how, Abad continued to work as a police officer during that time without a valid driver's license.

I wonder if the police department let him drive a cop car regardless during the day time, essentially letting him break the law over and over again, ignoring the rules.

edit on 3/25/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj
He refused to submit a sample in an earlier incident, that is obstruction of justice here..how could this guy still be a cop..we all know why. You can only sweep it under the rug for so long before you have a bigger mess(dead people) to deal with than if it was properly dealt with early.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Wow.....this is just so wrong...so this jerk off with a driving record like that was still driving and because they just kept sweeping it under the rug there are now people dead because of it...that is a classic example of the injustice system at work....

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
So apparently the driver had a previous DUI crash while employed at the dept, and furthermore has a total of 8 vehicular accidents:

www.nj.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

The strip club toast to starting a family was a nice touch too!

ETA: Make that TWO PREVIOUS DUIS WHILE EMPLOYED AT THE DEPARTMENT:
www.nj.com...

As well as multiple arrests..... And he was still on a PD payroll!?!?!? Wow.

Apparently one of the DUI's he crashed into a supermarket so bad the only thing showing of his car was his trunk.

Police subsequently charged Abad with driving while intoxicated and careless driving.

Abad was taken to University Hospital in Newark, and another Roselle officer went to the hospital with a blood test kit and blood was drawn from Abad, the report states. The results of that test were not listed in the report or immediately available from borough officials.

After the Roselle accident, the New Way Supermarket remained closed for a month because of the damage, said Ravi Patel, co-owner of the store.

"The entire car was inside the store, except for the trunk," said Patel, whose family has owned the store for more than 20 years. The store was closed at the time of the accident.

Source

I think the co-owner of the store said it the best...

"A few days later some people said it was a cop who was driving but we never knew for sure," he said.

"Wow, that's wrong," Patel said when informed Abad was the driver who crashed into the store. "He shouldn't have been a cop anymore. If police officers are giving regular people violations for drinking and driving, why should an officer be allowed to drink and drive?"

edit on 3/25/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I am so flabbergasted by this news that I can't comment due to T&Cs.

Police wonder why we don't trust them?

Here's a prime example.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I feel bad for the other guys who got in the car and trusted this jerkoff's judgement that he was OK to drive. Clearly the wrong person died in this accident.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
You do have to wonder sometimes just what it takes to get police officers fired or charged to the same extent any other person would be. I came across this one yesterday:

thefreethoughtproject.com...

Glendale, AZ– On December 16, 2013, Deputy Sean Pearce, son of recalled State Senator Russell Pearce, was recklessly driving an unmarked Chevrolet Tahoe. He was going 81 mph in a 40 mph zone, with no lights or sirens activated as he pursued a murder suspect. The suspect was over a mile away from the officer when Pearce rammed into the vehicle of 63-year-old John Edward Harding and took his life.

Gets better:

Interestingly, nobody informed the judge that the deputy’s actions lead to a loss of life. Pearce was therefore sentenced only to attending a defensive driving class, against Arizona state law, after admitting responsibility for a criminal traffic speeding ticket only.

On March 11, Judge Delgado who presided over the case called a hearing to express his concern over not being informed about the death of Harding before handing down his ruling. He claims that he only found out about the death after a public records request was made regarding the case.

This sort of thing really does them no favours in the eyes of the public and just shows how far the graft goes in keeping them out of jail.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join