It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 off duty cops drive wrong way on highway, crash into tractor trailer, guess who got breathalizer?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

I noticed the article didn't make mention the cops receiving a Breathalyzer though.

They were probably unconscious based on the wreckage in the photo you provided. They would have had their blood drawn at the hospital as protocol.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Everyone involved in any fatal accident receives either a breath test or blood test..

Standard procedure

I noticed the article didn't make mention the cops receiving a Breathalyzer though.
I don't think anyone in that car was even able to give a breath test. I'm sure blood tests will be forthcoming. Considering they left a strip club, I think the writing is on the wall that the people in the car were hammered. I think we're essentially arguing over semantics. It'll come out that the driver was plastered and then this will fade into obscurity as another cautionary tale of drunk driving.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: SirKonstantin

Then why was the information about, if the cops were given a breathalyzer or not, stated? Just the truck driver.

Did you see the vehicle they were driving? I doubt very much the survivors were able to blow into a tube. Most likely they had their blood drawn at the hospital.

Most certainly possible, but I noticed the slant in the article didn't swing that way, so it's hard to say.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Fair is fair.

I will keep on this thread to know if results were posted.

Regards,

I will keep on the situation, if I see any blood results in a future article, I will definitely share it with everyone. Good or bad results.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Fair is fair.

I will keep on this thread to know if results were posted.

Regards,

I will keep on the situation, if I see any blood results in a future article, I will definitely share it with everyone. Good or bad results.

Thank You!

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Everyone involved in any fatal accident receives either a breath test or blood test..

Standard procedure

Maybe because two are DEAD and the other two are in trauma ICU fighting for their lives?

Geezus. That's what you pick up on in this tragedy?

ATS is better than this

No. It's not.
edit on 3/20/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008
Could someone supply the "normal procedures" in writing for that area of New Jersey?

They were not in Jersey, they were in New York City.

The cops were from a small town called Linden, NJ, but near Staten Island for the accident.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

They were probably unconscious based on the wreckage in the photo you provided. They would have had their blood drawn at the hospital as protocol.

I noticed that later and made comment as such. You're right, the article made no mention of it.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

The cops were from a small town called Linden, NJ, but near Staten Island for the accident.

Yes, I am familiar with Linden, it is only a few towns over from me.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

I don't think anyone in that car was even able to give a breath test. I'm sure blood tests will be forthcoming. Considering they left a strip club, I think the writing is on the wall that the people in the car were hammered. I think we're essentially arguing over semantics. It'll come out that the driver was plastered and then this will fade into obscurity as another cautionary tale of drunk driving.

I, too, think the writing is on the wall, but I wonder if it will be covered up. I'm hoping not.
edit on 3/20/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

If breathalyzers are left up to the discretion of the officers on the scene then we are taking about judgement calls. Too bad that the truck driver isn't here to straighten things out.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Considering all the bad press the police have been getting lately, they'd have to either incredibly stupid or arrogant to try to cover up something like this.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

If breathalyzers are left up to the discretion of the officers on the scene then we are taking about judgement calls. Too bad that the truck driver isn't here to straighten things out.

Unless there is probable cause to administer one why would they do so at every accident not involving a fatality?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

So...you are saying that anyone who is involved in a fatal car accident would receive a breathalyzer, even when it is obvious as to who caused the accident.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

So...you are saying that anyone who is involved in a fatal car accident would receive a breathalyzer, even when it is obvious as to who caused the accident.

Maybe not a breathalyzer (if they are deceased) but a blood test, yes. This is standard procedure in fatalities as was pointed out by our resident LEO moderator. Who is to say that the decedent (if they were the other driver) was also not impaired? Then it would be some sort of mutual fault incident.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Maybe because two are DEAD and the other two are in trauma ICU fighting for their lives?

Geezus. That's what you pick up on in this tragedy?

So out of all the things I picked up, I quoted only one thing, because I am a cynic lately with all the messes going on, it's ok to have empathy AND be a cynic.

No. It's not.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I'm not sure that applies to my question. A car driving against the designated direction smashes into a truck traveling legally seems obvious as to fault. Why administer a breathalyzer to the truck driver? And was it a judgement call by the officer to do so, or was it standard procedure dictated by superiors for all law enforcement to adhere to?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Yes, I am familiar with Linden, it is only a few towns over from me.

I was answering someone else, but it's good that you live near the area because then if anyone has questions, we know who to go to! LOL

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

2 dead, 2 critical

New York Police Department spokeswoman Deputy Chief Kim Royster said one tractor-trailer swerved out of the way of the car on the West Shore Expressway on Staten Island, but a second didn't have enough time to veer away before the crash. She said the driver of the tractor-trailer passed a breathalyzer test and does not appear to be at fault.

Personally, I like the part I've highlighted in bold. It makes it sound like the first truck driver followed the rules of the road, but the second did not. I am not quite sure what your legal obligations are when it comes to illegally oncoming traffic in your lane heading straight for you, but I am quite sure the common sense thing to do is get out of the way if at all possible. Still, in the creation of an accident, the person driving illegally in the wrong direction would be at fault.

I went through the thread, but didn't notice... has a DUI report come back on the police yet?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Gotcha. Just a heads up when you quote previously quoted text, the BB code sometimes omits who you are replying to so it looks like you were just quoting me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join