It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help locating the origins of an "Urban legend" needed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Many years ago I was told an urban legend orally, It may have even been before the days of the internet, I have never been able to find anything about it and every once in a while it pops back into my head.

It's possible that the person who told me simply made it up but they were not much of a prankster or even very creative.

The story as I remember it was that one morning the residents of a small town (country unknown) woke up to find that every single house had a biscuit(cookie) taped to there front door, all exept one.

The likely suspects were rounded up but all had alibies. Nothing was ever found out, it never happened again and the single man who lived in the only house not to have been "biscuited" could not figure out why his house singled out.

It drifted into curiosity for the town but the man could never figure out why and eventually commited suicide quoting the unknowing as the reason for his death.

A very silly story, I would love to know if anyone else had heard it or something similar.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Sounds more like a "Fable".

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Maybe he gave out the cookies ?

That's why he didn't get one.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Sounds more like a "Fable".

I thought a fable had a moral to the story?

I called it an urban legend as I am pretty sure it is untrue and there is a death involved.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Maybe he gave out the cookies ?

That's why he didn't get one.

Yes but that would not explain him commiting suicide would it not?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Never heard that one before-poor guy killing himself over not knowing why he didn't get a biscuit?
Sheesh,unlucky that man..

One that often does the rounds here in the UK is
"I went to mcdonalds/the bank or wherever today and some irish/russian/middle eastern man dropped his wallet without noticing.
I returned the wallet to him and he said in a whisper"thanks,here is a piece of advice-don't go to the city center this friday morning at 9am."

Been going since at least the 1970's that one.
edit on 20/3/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Not heard of that one.

I do know the source of a urban legend involving Eddie Murphy. I was working part time as a teen and one of the girls came back from a holiday to LA where she was in a lift with Eddie Murphy. He said "hit ground floor" for the button and she threw herself against the lift wall corner petrified , then kind of crouched, thinking she was going to be robbed. And she heard a familiar laugh but didn't see who it was until they got her up and talked to her and made her laugh and she was all embarrassed and star struck.

Anyway she had pics with him in the foyer and other LA snaps we all looked at in the tea room and oooohd and ahhhhhd .

Then I heard the story about 5 years later as a Urban legend. where a new part of her having her hotel room paid for by eddie saying "thanks for the best laugh in years, Eddie Murphy" was added to what I recall of the original story and in the urban legend she didn't see it was Eddie in the lift at all. So leads me to think there is a grain of truth to urban legends!

edit on 20-3-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Often if it is an old story there are parts told wrong. It sounds as though someone takes a treat to each house in a village (so why would they haul people it for that). Also tape was probably wrong if this is an old tale, maybe wrapped biscuits were left on the doorsteps.

If someones house were missed and it was that meaningful to them it may have come from a religious view that they were left out and therefore treated as though maybe God did not love them in the village from then on. So i would check religious holiday tales from places where they use the word biscuit.

Like this Norwegian legend.

The legend of Santa Lucia: In the early hours of the morning of December 13, a young woman of rich and noble parents, dressed in a white gown, with a red sash and a crown of lingonberry twigs and blazing candles, would go from one farm to the next. She carried a torch to light her way and brought baked goods to each house. She returned home by sunrise. Every village had its own Lucia.

www.ricksteves.com...
edit on 20-3-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That's a new one to me. Sorry I can't help. It sounds like an interesting story though.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That's a new one to me. Sorry I can't help. It sounds like an interesting story though.

ETA: I ran a Google search but all I found were other urban legends and cookie recipes.
edit on 20-3-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

interesting one here may be related to Cupid and The only surviving Norfolk ritual is Jack Valentine, otherwise known as Old Father Valentine or Old Mother Valentine.

The enigmatic Mr or Mrs Valentine disappear into thin air after knocking at the door and leaving their gifts.
Read the comments at the bottom also.

I grew up on the Norfolk-Suffolk border and Norfolk acquaintances speak very warmly and affectionately of Jack Valentine visiting their houses at around 6 p.m. on 14th February to leave a small gift on the doormat.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 20-3-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I don't have even the vaguest of hints of a story you suggest with this legend. I'v never heard anything remotely similar.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I've heard a variation of that one, only it's the hotel celebs will often stay at out here (Adam's Mark I think) and this version is a black man and big Shepard dog. She gets in the elevator, and about halfway down the man orders sit really loudly, so she does.

The next day when she goes to pay, there is a note for her along with a paid bill:

"Sorry I scared you when I told my dog to sit. That was the best laugh I've had in a long time. -- Lionel Richie"

* Obviously has to be urban legend because how would he know who she was and what room to pay off?

edit on 20-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

A few months ago I went out of town and my brother stayed at the house alone. Now he is young and strong (23 and 6 years my junior), boxes, lifts weights, multiple sports AND most importantly well armed. Also important to know, we live on a large bit of family land, in the country the driveway and house is on it's own - one way in, private drive, gravel road set back 100 yards from old highway (which is less traveled because of a new highway).

So, I am out of town 6 hours away and despite being a big tough guy, with his lab, and armed, he's been listening to the 911 episodes of The Last Podcast on the Left and gotten himself unnerved (along with the Richard Ramirez episodes) and he's gotten himself a bit unnerved.

One night he notices the motion sensor light go on outside. Weird, but he chocks it up to animals, etc. Next night he wakes up to his lab sitting straight up growling at his closed bedroom door with it;s hair on end. He finally gets it calmed and back onto the bed.

Then the third night. He has decided he is going to sleep in the living room (don't know why as it;s a huge open room with a large picture window, but i guess he think... i can watch the front door.
So he's laying there on the couch with the dog and a gun watching t.v. All of a sudden at 3:00 AM! a light knock on the door. He jumps up. Adrenaline pumping. He calls me and tells me. He's not sure though. Was it real, was it a stick blown against the door or an animal? I don't know as I am half away a state over, i tell him it's probably nothing and as he is about to hang up.. a deliberate hard as a person can bangs on the door, three knocks that shake the door in the frame. Now we are both scared and I am a state over. My bro yells he's got a gun, gets off the phone and calls the cops who arrive in just moments (he told hte 911 op to make sure the officer knew he was putting the gun away. The cops comwe but no one is around.

He doesn't get another knock. Nothing. I come home and have never experienced it.

I post this because ;t has bothered me ever since. I mean, he didn't open the door for fear, if it were me though... i'd have to. I'd open with thegun and flashlight, but I would have to know.

Who was on the edge of my woods, on my land, in the middle of nowhere, at 3 in the morning, trying the doors before finally pounding it nearly off the hinges.

We will never know.

new topics

top topics

join