It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the tornado GR4

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Will the tornado GR4 get the eurojet 200 engine?

They are the same size so it will fit but the question is as to tornado will be in service for a long time will the UK government replace the RB199 with the Eurojet 200 as it simple less bits and more powerful?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I was wondering the same thing myself the other day when I was reading a comparison of the two engines. It would certainly appear that fitting the EJ200 is perfectly straight forward and would benefit the Tornado in terms of speed range and payload with the EJ200 being lighter, more fuel efficient and more powerful.

I dare say that if we were America the switch would have already happened.

replacing all the engines on the Tornado fleet wouldn't be cheap however and also acting against it is the large number of almost new Tornadoes, with engines of course, that are in storage.

The FOAS is a few years off yet and maybe a re-engining programme will be instigated once that project is fully underway, or if we were faced with a national emergency when it would be a very quick way to improve our capabilities.

It certainly gives us plenty to think about.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I would like to see the 2 seat version of the Typhoon being used as a strike aircraft,just like the F-15 and F-15E. The typhoon is better at A2A and is more manouverable which should make it better in wartime conditions.

RAB

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
I would like to see the 2 seat version of the Typhoon being used as a strike aircraft,just like the F-15 and F-15E. The typhoon is better at A2A and is more manouverable which should make it better in wartime conditions.

Well it will be used in strike but the RAF will have the Tornado GR4/A for year to come becouse it's long range strike is a world better. 100foot tarrian following at very high speeds.

top topics

join