It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Now Calling For Mandatory Voting in the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Talking at a town hall meeting, Obama says mandatory voting would be good.

He cited a few things like maybe the money impact on elections would ease, but the standout statement was:

"It would be transformative if everybody voted"

(new word "transformative")

Transformative alright.

I wonder what the IRS fines would be for not voting?

Always something with Obama.

You have to read the ballot so you can find out who to vote for !!

Obama Now Calling For Mandatory Voting in the U.S.

On Wednesday, Barack Obama was speaking at a town-hall event in Cleveland, Ohio when he openly endorsed the idea of mandatory voting laws.

The President mentioned the idea while in a dialogue about putting restraints on the influence that campaign donations and finances have on U.S. elections.

“It would be transformative if everybody voted,” said the politician who raised over a billion – with a B – dollars during each of his two presidential runs. “That would counteract [campaign] money more than anything. If everybody voted, then it would completely change the political map in this country.”

How would that work in the U.S. ?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
washingtontimes.com

INSTANT UPDATE

The White House Thursday walked back President Obama’s comments in favor of mandatory voting in the U.S.

“The president was not making a specific policy prescription for the United States,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest.

Looks like he spoke too soon.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't particularly see bad from his comments. I don't like any presidents but he has a point. Less and less are voting and more and more money decides elections. People get the government they deserve under a democracy.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
They need to do away with the electoral college and have the president elected through popularity vote. Also, remove the delegate nomination process because delegates can be persuaded with money.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
How could there be mandatory voting without voter id?
edit on 3/19/2015 by Sostratus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The last thing we need in this country is more uninformed voters. The Obama agenda is out in the open now. The next 22 months could make his first 6 years seem rosy.

Open borders + amnesty + hate the rich + hate whitey + mandatory voting = Emperor Obama, Destoyer of Constitutions and Republics

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

We are a Republic.

Money will always buy elections as long as it can.

How about making it illegal to donate more than a set amount and stick to it with no exceptions?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I haven't voted since I was 18. I'm 29 now, and I don't think I'll ever vote again. Even if I believed voting would make a difference, I would never believe what politicians say. Vote for the guy/gal who promises the least and this country might actually get back on track.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
Um, the significant part of this post is designated in yellow below:

The President mentioned the idea while in a dialogue about putting restraints on the influence that campaign donations and finances have on U.S. elections.

“It would be transformative if everybody voted,” said the politician who raised over a billion – with a B – dollars during each of his two presidential runs. “That would counteract [campaign] money more than anything. If everybody voted, then it would completely change the political map in this country.

The original thought, to put restraints on influencing elections with $$$$ has needed to be done, since always. Or done away with altogether would be my first choice.

The voting comment was more of an aside. But who would complain about everyone voting? It would be quite an accomplishment. So don't take off on a flight of fantasy about mandatory voting and possible repercussions if ignored. It's not going to happen. Not in our lifetimes anyway. There would be no way to enforce it.
edit on 3/19/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Obama is a disappointment to the office of the POTUS. Calamitous.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
washingtontimes.com

INSTANT UPDATE

The White House Thursday walked back President Obama’s comments in favor of mandatory voting in the U.S.

“The president was not making a specific policy prescription for the United States,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest.

Looks like he spoke too soon.

I don't know whether to believe Obama or to believe the White House.

Very confusing.

edit on Mar-19-2015 by xuenchen because: [;;'-'o'-']__sl22

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Perhaps, Obama would like to get on record who you vote for as well?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym

They need to do away with the electoral college and have the president elected through popularity vote. Also, remove the delegate nomination process because delegates can be persuaded with money.

Not a bad idea, but I think a winner would have to get 60% or face run-offs.

50%+1 isn't good enough.

But Constitutional amendments are difficult.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

Perhaps, Obama would like to get on record who you vote for as well?

That's what the National I.D. would be for.

Swipe & Vote would be the theme.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Thought I was having major deja-vu! Saw this one this morning...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
how about mandatory birth certificates and college transcripts. Better yet...mandatory lie detector tests whenever politicians make statements.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What if country like America would vote presidents from the best possible candidates out of its citizens. Do you think its happening already, does America get the best ppl to run for president?
As i see it, presidents are just faces/spoke persons from giant corporate entities and some of the most greediest families on earth.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Will someone please tell our President that the United States is not located in Australia ? Or China , Or Iraq , Or Cuba , or The West Bank , or well just about anywhere else ? That possibly we dont want to be like them ? That we have certain unalienable rights in this country ? The same right to vote also gives us the choice to not vote as a way of voicing our opinion as well . That possibly ,if we dont vote there was no one on the ballot worthy of our vote. Sheesh what is next ? 2 more years of this ineptness and attempting to establish a monarchy in our country . Can we survive?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51
how about mandatory birth certificates and college transcripts. Better yet...mandatory lie detector tests whenever politicians make statements.

Imho it should be freekin law that politician should speak the truth, maybe we should get a law that when they get busted from lie, they should be punished like the traitor to its country and punish em correctly.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: romilo

originally posted by: agenda51

Imho it should be freekin law that politician should speak the truth, maybe we should get a law that when they get busted from lie, they should be punished like the traitor to its country and punish em correctly.

I was thinking like a little device on their forehead. whenever they start lying it blinks red.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join