It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope Cemetery, Barre Vermont USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This week we traveled to Montpelier, Vermont and went sugar shacking. While there, we visited Hope Cemetery . Vermont is well known for it's granite, and Hope Cemetery is a fantastic place to go to see memorial granite sculptures. Each memorial is unique and reflects the personality of the person buried there. Some of the vaults and stones had the signature/autograph of the person buried there. The stones are works of art and the cemetery is included in tourist travel information for the area. Visits are encouraged.

The cemetery itself isn't of historic or metaphysical interest to taphophiles, but it's interesting in that it's modern and has unique influence from the area. Hope Cemetery is 65 acres big and growing, and already has 10,000 stones. I am including some of the pictures we took while visiting. There was a foot or two of snow still on the ground so it wasn't the best time to go. For better viewing of all the stones, google up Hope Cemetery, Barre Vermont images and you'll see some amazing works of granite memorial art.

edit on 3/19/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Very nice...haven't been cemetery visiting in a while. This is making me want to take it up again!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

While going sugar shacking, we saw a bobcat and a bunch of deer. There were signs for moose and bear, but all we saw this time were tracks in the snow but none of the big critters. My husband got to taste test a bunch of different grades and colors of maple syrup (I cant' have it anymore) and we got to see the old' New England production of maple syrup.

The 'blue ice' was flowing off the rock cliffs in the hills and mountains. It was nice.

The above picture of the blue ice flow is about 30 feet tall.
There were lots of other flows as well.
I have more pictures, but these give a good idea.

edit on 3/19/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Wow, those are sweet! I haven't been to many cemeteries although I enjoy cemetery "art". I would love to go to places like New Orleans and see the cemeteries there. So many cool mausoleums and family crypts.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Great photos - I am a 25 year old Vermonter, born and raised and I've never even heard of Hope Cemetary. Glad I have a new spot to check out this summer. Thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well I've been waiting patiently for the ATS taphophile to create a thread about a cemetery.

Love the pics! I can't say I've ever seen any of those types of monuments before. Interesting and kind of welcoming too.

It sounds like you had a nice trip. This is what I call the pre-spring transition period, and before I knuckle down into spring cleaning and air the place out as it begins to go above zero outside, it's still too early to shelve the winter clothes for another year. However, I love maple syrup and have a few quarts on order. I live in the heart of maple syrup country.

An old dessert recipe from the French early colonists was called a tartine: Cut a 1.5 inch thick slab of fresh bread, cover it in soft maple butter and lather on some thick fresh cream. Just thinking about it takes me back to former times when I didn't even know what diabetes and high fat content were all about, lol.
edit on 19-3-2015 by aboutface because: typo

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Very interesting! I love visiting graveyards sometimes.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Thanks, nice finds and the snow adds a nice touch to the presentation of the headstone's art. Am a bit of taphophile myself, if not when ghost hunting.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Wow seriously I want that stone couch, well one just like it.

Seeking out old Cemeteries and ghost towns is a real passion of mine, great pictures.

top topics

join