It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why they keep changing the money...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
so people can not travel back in time with money......
life is that simple

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Interesting theory, I've ofthen though it would be cool to go back in time with a realtivley small amount of cash and be extremley wealthy, only to realize that they wouldn't accept my cash.

However, I'm going to let the voice of reason step in here and say that it is most likley to prevent counterfeiting. I think that time travel is probably the last thing on the Treasury Department's mind when they are designing the nex bill.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontknowanything
so people can not travel back in time with money......

Oh! You were serious?
I really doubt that.
I think para hit it right on!

Sorry about laughing, just foolin' with ya.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well perhaps one of the reason the money is always changing or revised is to avoid to much counterfeiting.

Counterfeiting is a big problem world wide.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
humm you dont need to take money with you if you go back in time to get rich.
all you need are a alumium can and a titanium kife. A few $$$ at any dollergeneral . Go back to 1920 find the nearest metal working plant go up to the owner and say alumium is the ticket laddy . Ps dont worry about changing the futcher as mabby this was the guy who invented it anyways .lol
then taking the 10 or 20 grand you get from him buy gold at 10$ per ounce and comeback and wala your a billionair.

[edit on 19-12-2004 by Simcity4Rushour]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Counterfeiting is the exact reason money keeps getting new looks.

As technolodgy available to the public advances, so must the lengths taken to keep counterfeiting down. Whether it be holograms, special threads, multicolored ink, extremely tiny print, water marks, plastic bubbles, or little strips of plastic, the treasury department will use it to cut down on counterfeiting.

They've even stopped using regular paper these days. It's now a combination of differing fibers, including cotton, that's used to make money.

As for stopping people from traveling back in time with money from the future, that really isn't a big deal. I have money in my wallet dating as far back as the 1920's, that I got as change from a $20. A lot of flea markets have at least 1 booth that sells older money as well.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It's counterfitting alright. And so that people don't change have to change currency wherever they go [Euro in some places].

It is NOT so they can't go back in time, if you could go back in time there are bigger treasures to steal and cash in!!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Well another good conspiracy would be that they have held onto so much of the money there becomes a lack and they need to create more to see how long it takes for them to amass all the new pretty money...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
How exactly are they changing your money? I find it interesting as they
changed ours a few years ago as well

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I got it from a 'Secret Source' placed high within the Government, that indeed, dontknowanything, is absolutely correct, Time Travelling shopping is becoming a major problem the Government is trying to crack down on it.

........or was the Government Official just high??.........

Spacemunkey

[edit on 20-12-2004 by spacemunkey]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I agree with the counterfieting reasons for paper bills, but why coins? They are planning to redo the US penny for Gods sake. Do you think it would be worthwhile to counterfiet 1 cent or even a million of them? They would be awefully hard to distribute or launder if you had enough of them.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yupp counterfeiting they make it harder and harder for counterfeiters to copy the money now a days with the watermarks and color and texture now... and if i were to go back in to the past or the future i would turn out like these guys

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
I agree with the counterfieting reasons for paper bills, but why coins? They are planning to redo the US penny for Gods sake. Do you think it would be worthwhile to counterfiet 1 cent or even a million of them? They would be awefully hard to distribute or launder if you had enough of them.

There is a very valid reason for changing coins and an honest one. Coin collecting is big business.What better way to save money for the government then to put out new coins looking different so people will collect them with no intention of using the to make purchases.

I guess one could call that a way of uncle sam putting money in the bank

And let us not forget in this case they do not have to pay interest to those that bought the coins.

[edit on 12/21/2004 by shots]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Shots, I know from neumesmatic news that coin collectables are a good side business for the mint, but they really must be doing good to re-do the penny! I can't believe they turn a decent profit off mint state quarters, but then again anything the mint does in mint condition will make them money - I just can't grasp them messing around with a measly pennie.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I have to add this, and maybe I shouldn't, but maybe we could start pressing our own quarters. Lets buy a 2 ton press and as a former machinist, I know a lot of guys who can make dies, engrave, and polish. We could probably counterfiet a quarter with ease!

Disclaimer :ben91069 does not endorse counterfieting, and is not purporting anyone to actually follow up on this post by actually participating in a very lucrative metal stamping opertation.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by ben91069]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If I got my hands on a time machine, I would do things in reverse.
Off I would go to mediaeval England (preferably when Richard III is king).
Collect lots of coins (pennies for example are widespread and easy to pick up, although a few gold angels would be useful too).
I would then find a nice safe place (and one that I know hasn't changed since the 1400's) and bury the coins.

Return to the 21st century, dig up the coins and sell them for a massive profit.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Here it is direct from the horse's mouth:

www.treas.gov...

For you conspiracy therorists:

www.treas.gov...

www.treas.gov...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
if you were going back in time, wouldn't it be Really easy to make counterfit money from the 50s on a laser printer? YOu counterfit olderbills out of circulation now and then go back and use it!! hell you could prolly(if you could find one)find and old machine that makes the bills. but if you do go back in time,to let say the 40s make sure you write www.abovetopsecret.com on the bill, that way there will be proof that you traveled.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I for one hope that people cannot travel time to the past for the simple reason that we haven't learned anything as a whole from history and I do not see anything that tells me people today or in the near future are capable of going to the past and making things any better. One guy travelling back in time with a bunch of countefiet cash will not put things into the favor of something righteous. We have capitalism which cannot be 'bought out'.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I wouldnt go back in time for money...

I'd take a few ciggarette lighters, a silenced gun and ammo, and one of those torches you can get that dont use batterys but you just shake and they work...

Then you go to cavemen times... who needs money when they'd worship you like a god... and if supplies run out... come back in time and get more.

(advisable to bring a live wooly mammoth home to sell to purchase more supplies).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join