It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory voting? Obama says it would be 'transformative'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

mandatory has not room in Americas laws

I was being a bit facetious - but - for the sake of argument... Taxes are mandatory. And America DOES allow mandatory military service aka conscription aka "the draft." For example.

Conscription in the United States, commonly known as the draft, has been employed by the federal government on three occasions. ....the Selective Service System remains in place as a contingency plan; men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register so that a draft can be readily resumed if needed

True, the US Constitution does not protect anyone's right to vote (although various amendments have expanded voting rights).

So what's the real issue here? Is it "freedom v/s responsibility" thing? Or more basic?

Use it or lose it

Is this a timely warning?

?????

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Ha, ha, sofi, I know you been stretching the point, I agree, I think that people should vote regardless, is our duty and our right, if we want to appoint our leaders, but as the years has gone buy, it seems that our politics are nothing but a statement and so is voting, are we truly choosing our leaders? or is just the wants of somebody else and that is why choices are not abundant.

It seems that the same trash recycle over and over during every elections.

And lest me say that yes taxes are mandatory, but you don't work you don't pay and work is not mandatory, but is a necessity, while voting is a duty as a citizen.

I also read in the article that he is actually catering to immigrants voters too.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I vote "kiss my ass."

This is absolute genius!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
OK, I'll throw the first partisan stone into the pond, then... We live in a country where *almost* half of the nation pays zero net taxes at the end of the year and 47% receive some manner of assistance, entitlement, or benefit check. Traditionally, whether true or otherwise, the Democrat party is seen as the mighty endorser of kickbacks to the poor and lower middle class while Republicans are seen as the great protector of incomes of the middle middle class and up.

Uh, you do realize that a good chunk of that touted 47% consists of seniors and veterans who traditionally don't vote Democrat, right?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'll vote mandatorily just as soon as there's a government issued electronic ID chip in my ass.

Until then, the entire system can go to hell.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Indigo5

You know what your government does for you? We'll stop that.

That's a hard message to sell today.

Yes it is hard to sell that massage to an ignorant bunch that thinks the government is the people for the people like it was meant to be. The thought of our government not wasting trillions of dollars starting illegal wars killing millions is a breath of fresh air. Many governments treat their people like retarded sheep, testing chemical, germ and radiation warfare scenarios on them without their consent. Our government continues to side with big business destroying our beautiful landscape and wildlife while stealing the wealth of the true people of our country (was going to put my country but that is selfish and arrogant). To pay for military action in just 2012 you'd have to start back in 53,000 BC paying a dollar every second, absurdity at it's best.
The reason why this would be transformative is because they would then have full consent. A true democracy is founded on the principle that the governed must want to be governed. If I vote for someone, I am giving my consent for them to govern me, why would I ever do that? The people in these positions can not govern themselves so forget them looking after millions. Right now in our country the government has about 20% of citizens support. How could you ever bring an act into law without the majority of the country backing you? It would be similar to having a vote on what movie to watch with ten people present and me saying, so me and her want to watch this so you other eight don't matter, it's what we want.
I really hope one day that people can wake up and start critically thinking. Do we need military? Yes as there are still hostile nations and threats out there. Should we invade foreign countries to intervene? Yes only if that nation has asked by majority for help. Do we need medical? Yes but a much more efficient system than is in place currently. Do we need a government saying: you can't eat this, you can't smoke that, you must wear this, you can't do that, we can but you can't...and the list goes on and on and on? No, our governments roll should cover the basics, utilities, proper education, medical, military/security (police, fire), transportation and maybe a couple social programs but very limited. The more you request your government to do the more it has to grow. Eventually it grows so big it becomes a tumor and kills the host. I had the privilege of seeing our province's leader in the dog and pony show with her assistants scoping crowd appeasement. She then went on to change what she was wearing to better suite the crowds opinion, pathetic on the lowest level. One day my dreams will come to fruition as a dream that does not come to fruition is a hallucination.

Cheers, Nuts

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The government forcing you to do anything is a bad idea and tyrannical. Just like the ACA. They would probably just like to collect the fees from people not voting more than anything.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
actually..... the idea would only work IF and only if they extended the voting days instead of one freaking day. Alot of people do not vote because its ONE DAY and during the work week. It dont need to be mandatory really though

Also... how many times have those 112 year old SS numbers voted? 6.5 million votes all democrat. now add the 10 million illegals. Fair? not hardly.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Eh, I could go for mandatory voting. People like to hide their laziness behind American "freedom" for many reasons, voting should never be one of them. If you live in the US, it comes with unavoidable things like paying taxes, and jury duty, right? Why, pray-tell, should it be easier to avoid voting than to avoid jury duty? I don't give a rat's butt about Joe Schmoe's murder charge, but I do give one about who's running things in all tiers of government. Shouldn't voting people in have a higher participation rate (or at least have participation held to a higher personal standard) than "Meh, whatever"?

"Alright ladies & gents of the jury, Joe's guilty as sin. I don't care who our next mayor is, but fry this schmuck."

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm against mandatory voting. I get what Obama was saying here but I don't think he's accounting for the corrupting influence of money. Marketing is a very real thing, people like to pick a brand and support it. We are no different in politics. Mandatory voting actually increases the power of money because there's a greater economy of scale, additionally you no longer have to convince someone to go vote, only to vote for you. That is a very big difference and one that I don't think is beneficial for the system as it furthers an entrenchment of the two party system, which ultimately only serves to make us more polarized as a nation.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

Please quote where Obama ever says "mandatory". He was merely saying it would be better if everyone voted. He never said it should be mandatory.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

Wasn't my words - pretty sure that was the title of the article brotha

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What's funny about this proposal is it flies in the face of liberals idea that voter ID prevents people from voting. If mandatory voting was instituted, voter ID would effectively be implemented as well, in order to know who did and didn't vote. So he's either not that bright to realize this or he's just disingenuous in his beliefs. My guess it's both.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

They'd probably figure out some sort of pin system or something - you know they'd do everything they could to avoid bringing attention to that obvious of a contradiction.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is the problem with Obama, the dems and liberals. They actually believe that forcing someone to do something, against their will is a good idea. Take guns, eat crappy school lunches, stop smoking, buy health care or be fined...vote. Freedom means being able to do what you want within the law but the left has no use for that. Why just hope people do what you want when you can require them to? Not to mention the absolute belief that THEY have all the right answers...and if they are wrong, change the rules and say "see...told you so". How can such a group of people believe their individual answer is right for everyone? What is right for you may not be right for me...hence...freedom for each of us to choose. Another word for that is compromise. Another thing the left knows nothing about. Dictatorship? In that they are experts.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Vote or lose your freedom?
so lose it any way.
voting is supost to be a right ?
not any more.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
you no longer have to convince someone to go vote, only to vote for you.

And that is likely the idea. They are great and telling people who the bad guy is because they are expert liars. An out of control president forces amnesty and the reps say...we will fund homeland security, but not amnesty. The dems come back and say them reps won't fund homeland security. The problem was caused by a criminal president and the dems back him up by lying that the reps didn't want to fund HS. When in reality, the dems wanted to support the president's illegal acts and THEY wouldn't vote to fund HS. What a crock!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

I don't see how voting can possibly be viewed any differently than paying your taxes. In both, you'd be making a mandatory contribution to the betterment of the country, rather than just one being mandatory. Instead of sitting on your backside deriding everything going wrong & never casting a vote, you're prodded to get off your duff & do it. I thought the running insult for non-voters with the more conservative people was if you don't vote, you're no worthy American, therefore leave? Has this stance actually changed to fit a new narrative now?

Like with jury duty, this can be done with room for participation exceptions. I doubt they'd harass someone undergoing a scheduled surgery or unable to get off work (with verifiable proof from the employer)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

I don't see how voting can possibly be viewed any differently than paying your taxes. In both, you'd be making a mandatory contribution to the betterment of the country, rather than just one being mandatory. Instead of sitting on your backside deriding everything going wrong & never casting a vote, you're prodded to get off your duff & do it. I thought the running insult for non-voters with the more conservative people was if you don't vote, you're no worthy American, therefore leave? Has this stance actually changed to fit a new narrative now?

Like with jury duty, this can be done with room for participation exceptions. I doubt they'd harass someone undergoing a scheduled surgery or unable to get off work (with verifiable proof from the employer)

Simple...if I'm forced to do something or not do something that is my right to choose, some of my freedom has been taken. It doesn't matter if it is "better" in your opinion...maybe it isn't in mine. And who the hell are you to tell me what is right for me? You don't know me...what I want...what is important to me. Are you so intelligent and perfect that you should be able to dictate to me? Exactly how in the world do you, or anyone else KNOW what is best for me. Or even care. Or is it the dictating to others that you like? Maybe there is a title for someone who dictates to people instead of letting them do as they wish...any guess?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

So you believe that electing to not vote is a choice and an effective statement of dissatisfaction with any candidate? Didn't Obama try to claim that the alleged 2/3rds who didn't vote in the mid-terms were making a statement? And who is to say that an uneducated voter (not up on issues or even who the candidates may be) is a good thing?

Funny but liberals may not fully understand that they too will die by the sword. Obama won't always be president, there won't always be a democrat in that office and democrats may not have control of Congress. Better think twice about what you do and do not want.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join