It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas high school finds 27 positive tuberculosis cases

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I know they had found a student with active TB, but now they have tested the students and found 27 positive cases thanks to the one active case. Oh, and it's not over either.

People whose tests were negative for tuberculosis will be notified by letter, they said. They will be retested on May 5 because it can take up to eight weeks for the bacteria to show up in a test after exposure.

Yeah, mom, you sent me to Olathe Northwest High and all I got was this lousy case of TB. I do hope its not the drug resistant strain.

I also wonder where the first case came from.

Maybe letting our borders just be open to whomever wants to walk across them isn't such a good idea.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Isn't it just as likely it was a US citizen that was the first case?

We are talking Kansas here, not exactly a border state.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I knew it, politicize everything and not one word of compassion for those infected. True to form...good job!

May God show his mercy on those in need!

edit on 18-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The I-35 corridor is one that is used a lot by illegals and drug and human traffickers. It comes up from Texas through Oklahoma and past Wichita into KC and further north through Iowa. There are many of the undocumented in this city.

Most people overlook Kansas City, but we have several significant immigrant populations, legal and otherwise, here - Somali and Hispanic of various origins along with several Asian populations from different countries. It's quite the vibrant food scene. The middle school I taught at had over 30 different languages in the student body at one point.

We have a downtown farmers' market every summer that is a real cross section of everything. If you are ever here, I highly recommend it on a Saturday morning.

I just wish we had some reasonable health screenings at our border and a sane immigration policy so that we didn't also have to worry about the reintegration of contagious diseases.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Hell no it isn't a good idea to have open borders. However, as Sremmos stated, It may have been a U.S. citizen who they are talking about here. I hope the one who has it will recover and that if any of the rest of them get it, the same hope is for them. My GrandPa had it when He was younger and recovered,
I do have to knock Olaru some here, who got on You for not showing compassion, when they did the same! LOL!!!

edit on 18-3-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

nice edit! see my post right above this one!LOL!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak

nice edit! see my post right above this one!LOL!!!

Yes, I saw the error of my ways and tried to make it right; albeit a little late.

Perhaps you too can find a way to blame TB on the libs as well. Let's politicize the suffering of others, right?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I don't doubt you have them there, just seems like a stretch to automatically equate this to the immigration issue.

TB exists rather there is undocumented people or not, US citizens are not immune to it.

Bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) is a vaccine for tuberculosis (TB) disease. This vaccine is not widely used in the United States, but it is often given to infants and small children in other countries where TB is common. BCG does not always protect people from getting TB.

www.cdc.gov...

Just in case we go the vaccine route.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't see the need to ostentatiously show much compassion beyond expressing my hope this is not the drug resistant strain. It doesn't make me any more or less of anything.

Olaru is just ticked because I rained on his religion bashing parade. He's trying to engage me in a Kafka trap where I defend myself. I didn't see him expressing any compassion for the homeless there, only contempt for the religious although he may have edited it since.

Latent cases of TB do not make you sick and the active case should be curable with antibiotics unless this is the drug resistant strain. So all of these kids should be able to get cured, and hopefully the rest will test clean in May. Too bad they have to worry until then.

The real point is that TB was vanishingly rare in this country until recently. So where exactly did it come from? It may have been a case from a native, but the fact that no one in this area will report anything at all on who patient zero is speaks volumes.

Not only that but there were less than 10,000 active cases of TB in the US in 2013 and 2/3 of them were in foreign born patients. So, no, it doesn't have to be foreign, but it is more likely.

www.kansascity.com...

In 2013, a total of 9,582 TB cases were reported. That’s a rate of 3 cases per 100,000 persons.

In 2013, almost two-thirds of reported TB cases in the United States occurred among foreign-born persons.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
So ketsuko wants to wrap the entire continuous united states in bubble wrap so them evil foreigners don't bring in their diseases.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
There is no way to know if it is an immigration issue or not with the info given. It could have been someone visiting someone from anywhere that brought the illness in or someone could have picked it up on a vacation or cruise trip.

The problem is why did the numbers get so high? Why wasn't this caught until now. Someone can be sick for a long time before they get tested for TB. I had a friend who had it, I had stayed over their house for the night while I was up there and I had to go get tested. Him and his girlfriend were to the doctors many times before they tested for TB. The doctors kept telling them they have some sort of stubborn virus at first, then it changed to pnemonia. If they hadn't wound up in the hospital, they would have never known what it was.

They both stayed in isolation at the hospital for over a month after that.

Where did the TB they had come from? Who knows, there aren't many immigrants up in our area but there are plenty of tourists who could have brought it in.

People coming to this country should be screened better for diseases. I'll agree with that. People taking vacations in foreign countries bring diseases back too, so do people who go to places like disney world where people all over the world visit. Bubble wrap sounds pretty good to me.
edit on 18-3-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Aww, come now, I'm not trying to instigate anything here. I was just pokin you in fun a little for the way your post was to begin with. Nice change in it BTW, and actually I thought you would catch it and do an edit. No Prob. I m not trying to politisize anything, ok? I just don't think open borders are a good idea. There least should be some regulations. Ya know? And those regulations should be stood by, for ALL who enter this Country. Just sayin'.
But that's topic for another thread. So , please take that first comment of mine to Ketsuko in a lighthearted manner, as was My intention. Thanx, and Later, Syx.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Here I thought you were going to go after the anti-vaxxers. But no. You blame immigration.

I too hope it's not the drug resistant strain. But the way things are going biologically, it won't be long.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The fact is TB was pretty rare in the U.S., particularly among not-at-risk groups...like fricking high schoolers. It's honestly so tiresome when people get upset when the obvious is stated - unchecked immigration is causing diseases to reemerge...

originally posted by: muse7
So ketsuko wants to wrap the entire continuous united states in bubble wrap so them evil foreigners don't bring in their diseases.

It's "contiguous".

But I feel certain she would be satisfied with common sense and basic enforcement of existing laws.

edit on 3/18/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

The government as usual due to its amnesty agenda in the working will never let the rest of the population know if the first case was from an immigrant or not, we all know that when the big rush of so call "children" migrating from south American hit the US many cases of diseases on children started to sprout all over, then we found out that many of the so call "immigrant children" were spread all over the nation to states that would take them by the Federal government.

So I would not be surprised is the problem in that one school is related to migrant children.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I was thinking the same thing. They had bussed hundreds of those kids all over the USA, some States never even got a warning that they were being dropped off there. These kids had other diseases at the time. I wouldn't be at all surprised either if it's from illegals. Illegals do not have health checks and we don't know what they might be carrying.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

This right here, "It's honestly so tiresome when people get upset when the obvious is stated." covers a whole lot more topics than just this one! That's for sure! It's just Perfect!!!

May I suggest adding that to Your Signature, Or I just might!LOL!
I think everyone who reads that statement would tend to agree with it. Well, EveryOne except Trolls that is. LOL!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Isn't it just as likely it was a US citizen that was the first case?

We are talking Kansas here, not exactly a border state.

Nope. The disease has been well controlled in the US for a long time.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak

Hell no it isn't a good idea to have open borders. However, as Sremmos stated, It may have been a U.S. citizen who they are talking about here. I hope the one who has it will recover and that if any of the rest of them get it, the same hope is for them. My GrandPa had it when He was younger and recovered,
I do have to knock Olaru some here, who got on You for not showing compassion, when they did the same! LOL!!!

True compassion is addressing and stopping the reasons for the spread of a disease not permitting it to spread under misguided notions of "compassion."

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yes, is a few links that will tell the corralection of a spike of certain child diseases to the time that the immigrant children were spread around.

I remember reading that some military hospitals were getting overwhelmed by some of this children because they were getting sick.

You are right I used to work with migrant children in southern GA and most of the children in school age were lacking vaccinations, many never had any at all and neither their parents.

In many south American countries only major cities can afford to offer vaccinations to the population, but small towns are not so lucky.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join