It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson: ET and DNA

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
While you are busy laughing your ass off I suggest you recheck the definition instead of trying to play 'gotcha' which is rather juvenile:

The only juvenile behavior I see here is your selective ignorance. How convenient it is when One can just toss out valid data as if it were nothing. And then have the temerity to claim there is no data.

edit on 19-3-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418

The only juvenile behavior I see here is your selective ignorance. How convenient it is when One can just toss out valid data as if it were nothing. And then have the temerity to claim there is no data.

Did you present some valid data? If so, please repost it.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
Except very few people these days and, as far as I see, nobody in this thread or in this forum has started that they think we are alone.

I'll jump in. We're alone until we find somebody else.

You can throw out numbers and talk about probabilities versus possibilities all you want. But hypothetical aliens don't really exist. If there's a real alien somewhere in a galaxy a hundred million light years away that we'll never know about or interact with, on a practical basis, they don't exist.

IF tree falls in the forest, and there is no one around to hear it; does it make a sound?

Ya know man...using modern physics I can prove that a sound was made, without needing to actually "hear" it, even IF I can't get specific about that actual unique sound that was obviously made.

Same applies to Extraterrestrials...I do not have to produce one to prove they exist!

The root of your fallacy - we know trees and forests exist, and we know that trees fall down - even in the forest.

Harte

Your point?

We know that habitable environments exist around other stars. We know life exists on other worlds. We know that evolution works. We know that some of these other worlds are as old and older than Sol / Earth.

You give the tree a sound because it is logical, yet you deny ET his existence...seems a bit racist, as opposed to logical, sensible.

From where I view things, you are the one with a fallacy...you fail to complete the reasoning process.

edit on 19-3-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

We know life exists on other worlds.

We do? When was that definitively established?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

We know life exists on other worlds.

We do? When was that definitively established?

That was in the data you threw out because you didn't like it.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

That was in the data you threw out because you didn't like it.

What data?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
Except very few people these days and, as far as I see, nobody in this thread or in this forum has started that they think we are alone.

I'll jump in. We're alone until we find somebody else.

You can throw out numbers and talk about probabilities versus possibilities all you want. But hypothetical aliens don't really exist. If there's a real alien somewhere in a galaxy a hundred million light years away that we'll never know about or interact with, on a practical basis, they don't exist.

IF tree falls in the forest, and there is no one around to hear it; does it make a sound?

Ya know man...using modern physics I can prove that a sound was made, without needing to actually "hear" it, even IF I can't get specific about that actual unique sound that was obviously made.

Same applies to Extraterrestrials...I do not have to produce one to prove they exist!

The root of your fallacy - we know trees and forests exist, and we know that trees fall down - even in the forest.

Harte

Your point?

We know that habitable environments exist around other stars. We know life exists on other worlds.

We "know" no such thing.

Being in the habitable zone doesn't make a planet habitable. Is there life on the Moon? What about Mars?

Several asteroids are also within the Sun's habitable zone.

You give the tree a sound because it is logical, yet you deny ET his existence...seems a bit racist, as opposed to logical, sensible.

Again, we have met trees. Any trees on the Moon?

Please quote me denying the existence of anything.

I pointed out the flaw in your thought process. Both the flaw and the process are very real - we see the results of both in this thread.

originally posted by: tanka418From where I view things, you are the one with a fallacy...you fail to complete the reasoning process.

From here, it appears that you failed to initiate it.

Harte
edit on 3/19/2015 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

We "know" no such thing.

IF you say so...

Being in the habitable zone doesn't make a planet habitable. Is there life on the Moon? What about Mars?

Moon, asteroids no. Mars, at one time, perhaps still. By the way; the probability of Mars still sporting something living is virtually 1...so...y'all can take that to the bank!

I pointed out the flaw in your thought process. Both the flaw and the process are very real - we see the results of both in this thread.

Flaw...flaw...sorry not on my part...seriously, I am at a complete loss to "see" what you think you did...perhaps you could show it again, maybe with a bit more clarity?

What I find so incredible is the degree of willful ignorance you exhibit.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

We "know" no such thing.

IF you say so...

Moon, asteroids no. Mars, at one time, perhaps still. By the way; the probability of Mars still sporting something living is virtually 1...so...y'all can take that to the bank!

Really?
Why didn't evolution "work" there, as you claimed?

Flaw...flaw...sorry not on my part...seriously, I am at a complete loss to "see" what you think you did...perhaps you could show it again, maybe with a bit more clarity?

I'm not surprised you can't see it. Although I suspect "won't" is a better choice than "can't."

What I find so incredible is the degree of willful ignorance you exhibit.

And I'm not even the one claiming we "know" aliens exist. Imagine that!

Harte

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
*****ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS*****

We would like to remind you that we expect civility and decorum in all forums, topics, and discussions. Continuing to post in a manner not in accordance with the T&C's can and will result in post removals and/or posting bans. Please continue your discussions with an eye on the topic and not your fellow members. Please also remember to stay on topic and cease any and all attempts to derail the thread/discussion before you.

Thank you.

You Are Responsible For Your Own posts.

We Expect Civility & Decorum In All Topics.

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Courtesy Is Mandatory

*** Do Not Reply To This Post ***

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: undo>>>> I've felt for some time now that we just don't fit on this planet like many would have us believe. I think the evolutionists are on shakier ground than creationists when it comes to how we evolved and became the species we are. Sure we have our origins here, but its also pretty obvious that we've had help in the not too distant past. Maybe hundreds of thousands of years ago, maybe tens of thousands of years ago, maybe a few million years ago. Maybe even more recently. Who did it and why, that's the question.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Interesting video thanks

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: tanka418

according to quantum physics, as long as there is a recording device to record it and sufficient elemental soup *atmosphere*, then it does. if there isn't a recording device to record, it doesn't, and will remain a quantum possibility. since critters, insects and even some forms of viri and bacteria have various types of recording devices, the sound would be audible at the moment of its creation, regardless of the presence/absence of sentient lifeforms

there may be something in the chemical composition of atmosphere that also acts as a recording device, so that even if every critter, viri and bacteria were absent, the sound would still be audible

either way, the secret ingredient is the recording device.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
neil's ufo commentary has one glaring flaw (and several small ones), and that is his statement that people are unscientifically addressing the phenomenon of ufos if they claim an unidentified flying object is an ufo, without evidence to back it up. but that's what an ufo is: an unidentified flying object. the observer doesn't care whether anyone else thinks it's an ufo at the time of the sighting, all they know is it is an unidentified flying object to the observer. the rest of the question is literally irrelevant until it is identified by the observer.

edit on 20-3-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo
either way, the secret ingredient is the recording device.

That's the key...your proxy?

No, sorry...recording device is the same as "someone" being present to actually "hear" it. And, the Cat doesn't count either...

Understand that this doesn't depend on any proxy, it is purely an exercise in rather normal physics. You should also understand that since this is "a tree" in a forest; then there is already plenty of life around to observe, the important caveat is that YOU are not there.

And of course, the correct answer is ; YES. It does make a sound...in fact it would be rather improbable that it wouldn't.

This same notion hold true for Extraterrestrial life...in that it does not require the observation, nor permission of some Terrestrial Human...that life only requires that its own conditions be met which is nearly always the case on One's home world.

The active denial of existence does not affect ET, though he may wonder why those denying do so with such energy, especially in light of the realities involved...and known to the denier.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dutchowl
a reply to: undo>>>> I've felt for some time now that we just don't fit on this planet like many would have us believe. ... Maybe even more recently. Who did it and why, that's the question.

Well, while there are many who will vehemently deny this;

When: starting about 10,000 years ago.
Who: two species.
1. the Nommo; from "Sirius",
2. Anunnaki; Pleiadians.

Why: by accident / exposure. They were here; y'all watched with great interest, and y'all learn very fast.

There is actually rather good evidence of this in Terrestrial myth and legend.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

the recording device causes data to manifest from superposition soup, is what the information suggests. otherwise, it violates conservation of energy. observation alone wasn't enough. there also had to be something capable of recording the observation, such as memory, which is a function of time.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm just wondering whether Neil Tyson has ties to the CIA...who seems to display similar UFO debunking rants from the likes of the late J. Allen Hynek and Jacques Vallee.
edit on 20-3-2015 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

the recording device causes data to manifest from superposition soup, is what the information suggests. otherwise, it violates conservation of energy. observation alone wasn't enough. there also had to be something capable of recording the observation, such as memory, which is a function of time.

It seems as of late that the "Law of conservation of matter and energy" has been replaced with the "Law of conservation of data"...so there would be no violation, as the data would still be unchanged.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join