It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will too many coats of paint be detrimental to the resale value of my house?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Definitely one of the more bizarre things I've heard of. As someone who has worked in the painting trade off and on since I was 12 years old, I would HATE to have to deal with fixing such an issue. I definitely wouldn't take the contract, and I'm sure few painters would.

If it becomes that much of a hurdle towards selling the house, the OP might just be better off ripping out the drywall and replacing it and redoing the taping/mudding/painting from scratch. I can't imagine painting a house that often by choice, and without compensation. I hate the trade personally, but still. Wow.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla
a reply to: Xaphan

Imagine how beautiful a wall could be!! This was done on a rock!

reddit.com

edit on 3/18/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/18/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am so desperate to see a picture of these walls, any chance of an upload OP!!!

To answer your question, yes it will decrease house value.
That said, some places can look like hells gate and and they hold or increase value due to location location location!

If it is a run of the mill area, then it may be worth having the plaster walls removed.
Paint your front door perfectly, have a great bathroom, and ace the kitchen prep area and you will make more money.
Get the advice of a local agent maybe?

Z

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Am I the only one who realizes this is a joke?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Pictures, or it didn't happen!😜

I would get an appraisal by a property appraiser.
Don't ever let a relator give you the number on it.
It is there main goal to sell the house. If they are 20k under market for a guranteed fast sale, the loss of commission is small to them and 20k less for you.

Rehanging the drywall is going to be the fastest route vs. trying to remove. Drywall is fairly cheap. It will be a total mess though. Base and case trim will probably be needed. If you need to go that route, I would have a contractor bid out the whole job. You could do a nice neutral color and save there. Sounds like you may have the experience.😜

I would get an appraisal as is, and go from there. You could take an appraisal, have them write it two ways. One way, all repaired market value and one as is. You could also sell it market less repair quote.

Good luck.

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: sp.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

This is a joke right . Did you not notice your doors are 40 inches thick and no longer close . In fact how do you get through your doors . April first is still a ways off .

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Double
edit on 19-3-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Repainting a door today - again -
and was reminded of this thread. Did the maths and each wall would have added 9.5 inches to the thickness.

Thanks for the laugh ATS!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I sincerely hope you are not selling soon.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Oh! Not my door - his walls. LoL!

No, unfortunately for me, "million dollar red" looks more like "a buck fifty orange" so had to repaint it. Apparently Benjamin Moore was crunk when he named that color.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I just went through that with Colonial Merlot, becoming baby kaka orange. 5 coats later.....Im considering buying a new door.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join