It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with The Walking Dead "Try" Episode

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
cj6

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
[SPOILER ALERT] If you haven't seen it don't read this obviously!!!

First off I'm a huge TWD fan, been watching since episode 1 but this last episode had me cringing for all the wrong reasons. Of course I'm talking about the gruesome, over the top death scene of Noah. I've heard lots of people talk about how that scene was disturbing and tasteless and even as a lifelong horror fan I have to agree. I understand it was a pivotal scene for Glenn's character having to witness it up close but was it really necessary for US to see Noah get literally torn to pieces?? Usually the death scenes are pretty quick or some are even implied but not always shown, why the need to show Noah, a seemingly harmless and innocent character, get brutalized like that?? Again I get that this is what happens on this show but not to this degree, it doesn't have to be disturbing. I guess my only real gripe is that Noah was a decent character that didn't deserve to go out like that, I mean come on he was little Chris Rock...now it's Everybody ATE Chris lol By the way I also thinks it's very odd that they've chosen to kill off 3 black male characters in one season alone and all so quickly and in pretty brutal ways....I won't say it's racist but honestly...what's up with that?!?
edit on 17-3-2015 by cj6 because: Missed some words

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I watched it really quickly yesterday and i didint see that part, but the dude that gets eaten alive now that was just wow, ill re watched it tonight when i get home from work and ill make sure i pay attention.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I thought it was the best episode they have made in while.
Scrap the drama and show us some zombies doing what they do best.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

The "drama" was the reason I couldn't get into this show. The action was good, but I personally found the drama to be off putting.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I was a big fan until this season. The gay guys making out put it over the top for me and I have not watched it since. I have not wanted to watch it since.

its always been a gory show though. personally I dont really like graphic sex scenes and extreme gore but i am sure there is an audience that wants all these obscure details. I think the only extreme zombie gore I ever enjoyed was Planet Terror and the gore in that was more comical than anything else. That film was a riot in the theatre.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: agenda51

You don't have to worry about the gay guys.There hasn't really been anything much with them since. They are on to other characters and doing their usual thing.The gore from the 2 deaths the last episode was gory yes,but I mean really,if you were seeing people get eaten alive,do you think the zombies will do it politely?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
While I disagree with you on how 'brutal' Noah's death was do you really think it was worth than Lori's death/Judith's birth?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

its not really the realism stuff I just see it as kind of a distraction. the same goes for the graphic sex. I still remember the scene from season one where Shane and Lori go at it in the woods. I was watching it and thought....OK I get it...they are involved.

I am a little old school though and prefer some things left to the imagination. Most of my favorite movies are older. I can appreciate the special effects though in the show. I think my favorite was the burnings zombies they had a while back.

There are a couple seriously gory films that come to mind though. The Thing was pretty gory but i think it being an alien shape shifter made it interesting. sometimes it seems like walking dead just trys to gross people out all the time. The gore doesn't bother me as much as the sex though. I think that show will probably show zombie sex before its over just because they will run out of ways to shock people.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TacticalStats

lori's death was sad but I dont remember it being real gory. The drama was in the acting and the dialog. Gore is kind of a shortcut to get a reaction. That may have been the most dramatic moment on that show. I didnt even like lori either. She was a real witch of a woman. There have been a few dramatic moments on that show though. Like I said I was a huge fan and even bought all the seasons. I think the last show that had me going like that was probably Jericho or Lost. The first three seasons of Lost anyways.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The episode reminded me of George Romero's Day Of The Dead when Tom Savini was being torn in half by ZOMBIE'S. And said "CHOKE ON IT!"
And we got a bonus two gore scenes this episode? What's the problem? Ain't that the fan base and what we want?

Buh Bye Noah! R.I.P.! NEXT!!!!
edit on 3/18/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

cj6

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51
a reply to: TacticalStats

lori's death was sad but I dont remember it being real gory. The drama was in the acting and the dialog. Gore is kind of a shortcut to get a reaction. That may have been the most dramatic moment on that show. I didnt even like lori either. She was a real witch of a woman. There have been a few dramatic moments on that show though. Like I said I was a huge fan and even bought all the seasons. I think the last show that had me going like that was probably Jericho or Lost. The first three seasons of Lost anyways.

Lori's death was a perfect example of how to do a death scene effectively without showing over the top gore. In fact we never actually saw her die it was just implied and it was still effective. I too like to leave a little to the imagination. I think Noah's death scene would've been more effective if we only saw Glenn's reaction...just imagine it...that's art!

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: cj6

I still think the original Night of the Living Dead is the best. The other romero zombie films didnt really impress me that much but they are fun when in the mood. There really is not much gore...no sex....in NOTLD but the atmosphere is very effective and almost gothic. I am a big fan of old carpenter Films for the same reason. The atmosphere are just great and it never really gets old.

The extreme gore we see now sometimes reminds me of the older italian horror films from the 70s and 80s. somehow it didnt feel as cheap in those though. Probably just because italian films have such a style of their own its easier to accept things far out of the norm.

Its a zombie show though after all. There is going to be a lot of blood and guts. People are going to want to show off their technical skills at special effects and its a good showcase for that so I get it. Two guys that just start making out from nowhere....I am done. that whole scene just screamed politics. Those two characters were just introduced and thrown in to a make out session for political reasons. The show always had its political undertones but that went too far for me and really caused me to lose interest in the show.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
[SPOILER ALERT] If you haven't seen it don't read this obviously!!!

By the way I also thinks it's very odd that they've chosen to kill off 3 black male characters in one season alone and all so quickly and in pretty brutal ways....I won't say it's racist but honestly...what's up with that?!?

I always know a black character will die soon, when they bring another one in.
It has been that way since the beginning.

I thought Noah's death was great. One gets his eye, while another one fish-hooks him.
Dales death was worse, I think. Even (WHOS?) Dianna's son was as bad, if not worse.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Seriously? Maybe you should run home and cry to momma about it.

I mean, wow. That anyone would complain about over-the-top violence when it concerns TWD literally cracks me up.

Noah was a pansy anyway. Hopefully the priest and Eugene go next.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The episode had a new director...maybe that had something to do with it?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Her Dad is known for some pretty disturbing stuff.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Saaaaaaaaame, get some comedic relief in that show right?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51
I was a big fan until this season. The gay guys making out put it over the top for me and I have not watched it since. I have not wanted to watch it since.

its always been a gory show though. personally I dont really like graphic sex scenes and extreme gore but i am sure there is an audience that wants all these obscure details. I think the only extreme zombie gore I ever enjoyed was Planet Terror and the gore in that was more comical than anything else. That film was a riot in the theatre.

Are you a homophobe? First off I would not really call that a make out scene, and if you remember that last season Tara had a girlfriend and I believe that they kissed too....so you are OK with girls kissing but not the guys. doesn't that make you a hypocrite?
edit on 18110000003 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Calalini

I hated Eugene until this episode, I still dislike him but not as much.

He grew a set and kicked some ass and saved that girl.

I was sad to see Noah go, I thought he was a good character with lots of potential for development in regards to the ongoing plot, but the show has gone the way of the comic book so I can pretty much predict every episode now, but I still love the show.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I enjoyed the episode and especially the revolving door scene. It was a very tense setup and I think poises a lot of "what would you do?" in that situation questions rather than "ew gross".

Some things to consider:

1. They also killed off Aiden, a good-looking white guy in a similarly brutal fashion.

2. Would you rather the majority of the cast was all white instead of multiracial? It's a zombie apocalypse show - people are going to die a lot and often. The ratings demand good and scary, gory action. And frankly, so do I.

3. The selfish guy was the one who was actually responsible for the death of both of them. If he had not chickened out, both of them could have been saved. So, this episode more closely depicts the failure and loss that comes from the lack of courage and teamwork.

4. It's important to remind us just how dangerous the zombies are and what happens in these situations. War and our brutal history have displayed at least as much gore and horror that we humans unleash upon each other. It's very real in that sense.

I did like Noah, although I can agree with many other fan's comments that he was pretty useless in general and probably wouldn't have made it to this point. I hope that jerk who abandoned them gets a similar treatment as well as the awful priest with his betrayal to the group.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: cj6

Noah was barely a main character imo. He was introduced halfway through this season. But no, him getting ripped apart was awesome mainly because it shows how brutal you can go at any time

top topics

<<   2 >>

join