It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US:Becoming too paranoid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Over the last few months ive noticed a shift of opinion from the US members on the forums regarding their view of the rest of the world, Europe in particular.
Since the attacks of 9/11 the US has quite understandably drawn back into herself quite a bit, nothing wrong with that as in times of crisis thats what Nations do, they put up the walls against enemies, real and imagined.
Now it seems that as a direct result of the war on terror the US seems to be looking for enemies not only in the Middle East but in Europe too. There has been a lot of talk about the EU and how powerful we seem to be becoming economically and also about if France is a friend or foe to the US, almost as though the US would love France to step of the line so to speak.
I'm a bit disturbed by this, has the US become so paranoid that she sees the Bogey man in every shadow?
This is not an attempt to bait any of the US members but i find this new stance towards Europe a bit disturbing, as a UK citizen i have always looked at the US as our natural allies, more so than the rest of Europe, and would hate to see this kind of animosity affect our relations with the US.
This is a sincere question so please no flames.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think that we definatly need to be concerned with our security but I think that racism is going to far. Racial profiling is too far for me. Also I don't think we really need to worry about Europe. The nations of Europe particuarlly Britain can handle themselves and wouldn't go against us in a militaristic way in a hundred years (unless we declare WWIII or something). I also look at the UK as a natural ally to the US so I don't think they'll ever be our enemy. France, the worst they'll do is sell various things to people we don't like.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus[/I]
Over the last few months I�ve noticed a shift of opinion from the US members on the forums regarding their view of the rest of the world, Europe in particular.h

Yes you are right and its getting worst, I do not blame the American people per say but our leaders in the present administration are the ones building these paranoia and they have been very successful.

Since the attacks of 9/11 the US has quite understandably drawn back into herself quite a bit, nothing wrong with that as in times of crisis thats what Nations do, they put up the walls against enemies, real and imagined.

I am glad that you have noticed that our country has become alienated from the rest of the world thanks to our president "war on terror" to me is more like war against the rest of the nations of the world, specially Europe and middle east.

Now it seems that as a direct result of the war on terror the US seems to be looking for enemies not only in the Middle East but in Europe too.

You are right on the spot on that one.

There has been a lot of talk about the EU and how powerful we seem to be coming economically and also about if France is a friend or foe to the US, almost as though the US would love France to step of the line so to speak.

Well taking in consideration how our present administration has taking our country in the worst deficit in history I guess I have to agree with you on that too, all you have to do is look at the value of the dollar.

And for Frances, I find very unfair that our country has taking a very shameful stance against that country when is their politicians fault of what happened in Iraq, not the people of Frances, but our administration has done nothing to make a clarification.

I'm a bit disturbed by this, has the US become so paranoid that she sees the Bogey man in every shadow?

Yes this country is very disturbed thanks to the game the present administration is playing on the minds of the regular American people.

This is not an attempt to bait any of the US members but I find this new stance towards Europe a bit disturbing,

I agree with you but as long as the propaganda keep feeding our people the animosity will keep growing.

as a UK citizen I have always looked at the US as our natural allies, more so than the rest of Europe, and would hate to see this kind of animosity affect our relations with the US.
This is a sincere question so please no flames.

I feel sad as an American to hear a fellow UK citizen to feel the way you do, after all your country has been the only faithful Allie that we have.

I see the things you see and I can sympathized with your feelings but this is the way our nation has turn into and as long as the present administration keep his hold on the people of this country I see not much change, things will only get worst as time gets by.

[edit on 18-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
very real possibility i suppose and i appreaciate the way in which you presented your idea. personally, in regards to france, i've always thought they were less of a friend then most thought. not a foe, but a friend of convenience at best. it's nothing i hold against them (if i'm right), rather just an observation. as for the banter going around about the EU...well two points. i detest globalization in any form. whether it be fear of armageddon or the NWO i simply don't think it's wise for several countries to come under influence, control, whatever of a single organization. and i apply that belief to the U.N. as well, it's just that organization is so inept it's not really a matter to worry about. second point, i truly believe much of the banter about france and europe is part of the obvious increase in competition among americans and europeans on this forum. from both sides come screams that the other is going to destroy the world, has gotten to powerful, is pure evil, is too liberal or conservative, blah blah blah. these accustaions seem to have increased in the past several months or more. as a result of that increase i think more people are becoming more hysterical, thus we have people questioning things that don't really need questioning. again though, i see that coming from both sides. later

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Paranoia us

Yes, we're paranoid. Who wouldnt be since this gov is wondering the earth making more and more enemies?

Its just a matter of time before someone will retaliate.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
in regards to france, i've always thought they were less of a friend then most thought. not a foe, but a friend of convenience at best. it's nothing i hold against them (if i'm right), rather just an observation.

Thats a very good observation allies of convience is a perfect way to describe it alot of the time we had the same enemies. Back to the old enemy of my enemy is my friend thing. Thats pretty much why the French helped us in the Revolutionary War and of course the fine work of Ben Franklin I dont know why but the french loved that guy.

French and US relations have been shaky before throughout history this is not new.

[edit on 19-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
indeed shadow. but i have no problem with the allie of convenince thing. every country has participated in such relations. they're acceptable. but it's not acceptable if we find out france circumvented our efforts to control saddam and fight in iraq.

dgtempe...damn are you a pessimistic person. i've run into your before and your views are highly paranoid and distrustful of just about everyone.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Ironic that the "paranoid" PrisonPlanet (Alex Jones) runs an article on "paranoid" American's, huh?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

dgtempe...damn are you a pessimistic person. i've run into your before and your views are highly paranoid and distrustful of just about everyone.

Well what do you expect we have indeed become a nation of paranoid and distrustful people can you blame her for it?

You either agree and become mindless or become a distrust and paranoid fighter.

I will go with the second choice myself, it may become helpful in our darkest times coming ahead.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Originally posted by Janus

There has been a lot of talk about the EU and how powerful we seem to be becoming economically and also about if France is a friend or foe to the US, almost as though the US would love France to step of the line so to speak.

For an older US citizen (well middle-aged) I see the UK as a staunch allie no matter the political climate in either country - no problem there.

The EU on the otherhand seems to have taken a decidedly anti-american stance with some of its policies presented by France and Germany for economic reasons (thats OK in my book, look after yourselves) On the political front their is a perception that France is a lost cause as far as any support of US action is concerned - Germany is not far behind.

In some respects I see this as an economic problem rather than one of pure politics both of these countries had a lot of monetary loss involved with Iraq as well as suspected tie ins with the oil for food program affecting politicians pocketbooks.

The result is understandable if not correct in my mind, thats the way of things as they go.

CHINA worries me much more than the EU in the future. I think the EU will come around to that thinking as well.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I think we need a definition of paranoia:

Paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust of others, sometimes reaching delusional proportions. Paranoid individuals constantly suspect the motives of those around them, and believe that certain individuals, or people in general, are "out to get them."

www.healthatoz.com...

The US is hardly paranoid by any accurate description of the term. While racial profiling (a politically-driven misnomer) is an insufficient strategy, race, ethnicity and national origin are salient features of the profile of a Islamic murderer. To ignore such is a another form of delusion, altogether.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
MARGE

Is there even a thread on ATS where you arn't Bush Bashing? The first thing I do when reading these is see who said what i'm about to read, and EVERY time I see your name, I allready know word for word what your gonna say, cause its always the same. Bush won, he will be president for 4 more years, GET OVER IT.
------------------------------------------------------

I dont know why someone from the UK is worried about the path that America is heading down? The UK are strong allies and will continue to be that, France is a whole nother story.
I dont see how the US and UK being allies has anything to do with our war on terrorism.

The US isn't going around wanting to go to war with every one, If you look at the countries that the US dislikes its mainly because they are trying or allready have nuclear weapons. Because an unstable country could sell or lose the nukes to terrosist.

The US isn't paranoid, its just cautious and aware.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
MARGE

Is there even a thread on ATS where you arn't Bush Bashing?

Well you can either read my post or ignored me, and to tell you the truth my views will never change, so it does no matter what you said in your post I have a very good mind of my own.

Bush is what bush is and that is something that you or anybody can change, remember, "you are with me or against me" so I made my choice, now did you?

Sorry I don't share your blindness.

And you can not take away the way our country has turned in last 4 years of our "Lord's reign"

[edit on 19-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Only distrustful of this current government puppets and disentigration of the United States, a country i love very much. Look around you and tell me what is positive and please, humor me, tell me there arent crimes against humanity going on, tell me that 200 or 300,000 deaths havent happened because of this administrations $$ interests?
Alice in Wonderland this aint.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Dgtempe,

How's everything in the land of Oz ??

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I will let you know in a minute- the response might come from a moderator this time

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think much of the world is guilty of groupthink. The masses don't really gather information and think the issue through, they just follow their prejudices and rationalize whatever stand they so quickly decide to adopt. It all becomes self-reinforcing, as all but the most integral of politicians take stands and make speeches to echo their constituants, so as to get elected. Newspapers do the same to sell papers. The US is not immune to this either, but unfortunately the US is in the position of trying to change the status quo in some regions, while some European countries are trying to profit from that same status quo. Some others (China, Russia) are simply following some other game plan that the US and its allies probably don't take enough cognizance of.

My only advice is to stay true to your purpose and principals. I'll take those of the US over most other countries any day.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

MARGE

Is there even a thread on ATS where you arn't Bush Bashing?

Well you can either read my post or ignored me, and to tell you the truth my views will never change, so it does no matter what you said in your post I have a very good mind of my own.

Bush is what bush is and that is something that you or anybody can't change, remember, "you are with me or against me" so I made my choice, now did you?

Sorry I don't share your blindness.

I do both, 1.read / 2.roll eyes / 3.ignore

"You are with us, or against us"(Bush), This is what most people feel like saying, he just made the mistake and actually said it.

blindness, so because I agree with him, and not you i'm blind.

You really need to get over the fact that Kerry lost, its really pathetic.
If you hate the direction America is going then move to a different country.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   

blindness, so because I agree with him, and not you i'm blind.

You really need to get over the fact that Kerry lost, its really pathetic.
If you hate the direction America is going then move to a different country.

Sorry murcielago I am here to stay with the same rights than you and perhaps more, and so half of the people of this nation also, so moving to another country? why?

This is beyond bush bashing, this is about people in this nation been concern about liberties, agenda our democracy and freedom.

Yes this is about us concern Americans that are not blind enough to see beyond this president god ridden goodness.

One day you will come around and see what we can see.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
and marg, if bush quietly dissappears after his 2nd term and none of the doom and gloom crap you predict comes to fruition will you shut your trap? or better yet publicly apologize for being an 8 year irritation?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join