It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer making room for Windows 10 'Project Spartan'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

from Yahoo Tech

While Microsoft has dropped hints that the Internet Explorer brand is going away, the software maker has now confirmed that it will use a new name for its upcoming browser successor, codenamed Project Spartan. Speaking at Microsoft Convergence yesterday, Microsoft’s marketing chief Chris Capossela revealed that the company is currently working on a new name and brand. “We’re now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10,” said Capossela. “We'll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing.”

Internet Explorer will still exist in some versions of Windows 10 mainly for enterprise compatibility, but the new Project Spartan will be named separately and will be the primary way for Windows 10 users to access the web. Microsoft has tried, unsuccessfully, to shake off the negative image of Internet Explorer over the past several years with a series of amusing campaigns mocking Internet Explorer 6. The ads didn’t improve the situation, and Microsoft’s former Internet Explorer chief left the company in December, signalling a new era for the browser.

No biggie to me I'm a Chrome user..we will see how it works out for Ol' Billy Boy!

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't know anyone who uses Internet Explorer, never even really looked at it myself. Windows 10 will roll out and I'll be sticking Chrome straight back onto it.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
im a chrome user. firefox is my second. internet explorer...well, i have my reasons for avoiding that.

edit on 17-3-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
im a chrome user. firefox is my second. internet explorer...well, i have my reasons for avoiding that.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Spartans Dont die, they just go missing in action.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
To be fair, once Windows 10 rolls out were all going to use Spartan.

After all, how else are we going to download Chrome or Firefox?

edit on 17/3/2015 by longy9999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: longy9999

Copy them from our old systems then install them without installing or using spartan

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

One thing that has infuriated me in the IT sector is the corporate world's reliance on Internet Explorer for many web-based applications. It's changing slowly, but in the very recent past, if there was something you needed to do on a company's intranet for web-based services, Internet Explorer was a must.

It is maddening.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I avoid it at all costs, I remember trying it years ago and hating it. I used Firefox for quite some time before I discovered Chrome and I've never looked back.

Spartan will just be IE with bells on it, not interested in the slightest about using it. I'm not particularly fussed about Windows 10 for that matter but its a free upgrade and I'll be wanting to use the DirectX 12 features.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I wouldn't count Microsoft out of the browser wars just yet. They're going to be doing some out of the box voodoo me thinks. The total fail of Windows 8, and their losses in the browser market, hurt. They're out for blood on this next go round. Nevertheless, I haven't been impressed with Windows 10 thus far. Using it is still clunkier than XP or 7, and more complicated than it needs to be for the average user.

edit on 3/17/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

To be honest I've only spent around an hour with Windows 8 but I didn't like it in the slightest, I'm a Windows 7 man all the way. From what I've seen of 10 it looks to be a bit of a hybrid of the two, not sure what to make of it yet and if it wasn't for the fact that DX12 isn't coming to 7 I wouldn't even be considering using 10 for a long time.

You could well be right about the browser though, Microsoft have got some serious ground to gain back after its recent failings so this could be their golden opportunity to win some of us back, I'll still be using Chrome but I'll be checking in on Spartan from time to time so see how it's coming along.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

One thing that has infuriated me in the IT sector is the corporate world's reliance on Internet Explorer for many web-based applications. It's changing slowly, but in the very recent past, if there was something you needed to do on a company's intranet for web-based services, Internet Explorer was a must.

It is maddening.

It's actually quite infuriating for us working on corporate systems that in Denmark only Microsoft agreed to sign an agreement to follow Danish law regarding protection of data.
And there is a reason the other players declined. And we don't want our stuff to turn up in unexpected places.

And how could we ever trust Chrome not to share?

And to all those Chrome fanboyz. Are you nuts or employed by Google. How can you in all honesty defend one of the worst data gathering AND data selling enterprises of all time? It puts even NSA to shame.
The ONLY reason we can expect better from Microsoft (be it Explorer or Spartan) is that we can demand stuff from something we buy.

edit on 17-3-2015 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: HolgerTheDane2

IE has so many security vulnerabilities even NOW that patches are sent out nearly weekly. To be frank, you can't have any reasonable expectation of privacy when using a web-browser unless it's on a Linux shell through a proxy.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Personally I use SRWiron(a chromium knock off without the tracking bs). An di have a UA spoofer installed to make youtube play smoother with the firefox UA.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Firefox
FTP from mozilla....who downloads from the web ?

edit on 17-3-2015 by here4this because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thanks for your in depth analysis.

Don't be lazy. You could have certainly done better than one sentence. Is that what you think "makes?" ATS? One liner threads from BTS all day?

I don't come to ATS for "copy and paste" jobs to computer articles. I would go read a computer website for that.

I click to read WHY you posted this and WHAT you think about it. I'm genuinely interested.

Otherwise, what's the point?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Thanks for your in depth analysis.

Don't be lazy. You could have certainly done better than one sentence. Is that what you think "makes?" ATS? One liner threads from BTS all day?

I don't come to ATS for "copy and paste" jobs to computer articles. I would go read a computer website for that.

I click to read WHY you posted this and WHAT you think about it. I'm genuinely interested.

Otherwise, what's the point?

Lol Really? You act as though we get paid by the Thread! Take a step back and calm down. I saw some interesting info brought it to the table. Gave my 2 cents for ATS and let it go on its merry way as you can see others had no problem commenting..My sincerest apologies for not holding up to your personal thread creating standards.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

yep Chrome user as well. I Don't really LOVE it or anything it just works up to my standards ..not many issues..Firefox was pretty good when it first dropped but as of late kinda glitchy to me..

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: HolgerTheDane2

IE has so many security vulnerabilities even NOW that patches are sent out nearly weekly. To be frank, you can't have any reasonable expectation of privacy when using a web-browser unless it's on a Linux shell through a proxy.

Funny thing is though that the only problems we've had has been from stupid people clicking on links in mails they never should have clicked.
Except one recent attack which was a ransom-ware attacking from an infected website through Firefox.

But what do I know? I've only worked with programming and computers for about 30 years. And was active when hackers (us) were the good guys and crackers (them) were the bad guys.
edit on 17-3-2015 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm somewhat amused that MS knows what a crappy product IE is. I mean, I've never received any apologies for all the hacks, viruses and crashes that I (and many others) dealt with when IE was the only game in town.

IE is a joke. What confuses me is that anyone would trust a MS browsing tool for their computer again. You can change the browser but it's still...well..Microsoft.

You can take the browser out of Microsoft, but you can't take Microsoft out of the browser.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join