It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will happen to Christianity when we finally confirm ET?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: occrest

Extra terrestrial life is not compatible with Christianity...
a reply to: Akragon
This, i believe, is a false statement. John 18:36 tell us

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Heh... cute

But I said "extra terrestrial life"... meaning they come from another planet in the physical realm

not inter dimensional

Or are you suggesting Jesus was an alien?

edit on 17-3-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I feel this is appropriate:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I predict nothing will happen after the hoo aaah dies down and we settled back into wha'zz for dinner mode.
edit on 17-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: guitarplayer

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: guitarplayer
Have you ever heard of the gap theory? In gen one it says God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was void and without form. Isa says that God does not create in parts but in fullness. So there is a gap between gen 1 and gen 1 so to say.

Start at the 1 minute mark to bypass the intro and go right into it.

In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (In the beginning whenever that was nobody knows)

The Earth then Became Wasted, Void, and Dark

The 6 days follow

MINDSHIFT: In the REAL Beginning

www.youtube.com...

And we don't know how long of a time period lapsed between God created and the earth became void. If the fallen angels could come to earth and mate with the daughters of men what would of keep them from doing the same thing elsewhere?

Did anyone else picture Angels having sex with Xenomorphs from Alien?

That would be one f#ed up sect of Christianity.

I did. Totally gonna get flamed for that.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

a reply to: Anyafaj

Which sect are the true Christians? I've never understood how there can be so many denominations when there's only one book.

Hopefully not the Westboro Baptists...

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
ET is a devil

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
There's multiple types of baptists?

Yet, all of these denominations firmly agree there's no way anything was ever retranslated wrong or purposefully rewritten?

Yes, we definitely need some aliens to come # slap us with some reality.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

And there are some that believes that OT God is not the same as NT God. Old was revengeful and New forgiving. Some say that NT God is a "alien" God.

The bible was written by the people with the world view they had, things explained as they could at the time. I don´t see why wouldn´t Christianity bend and find its place in galactic World.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

What if the aliens look like angels? More than that, what if they preach Christianity as we know it?

That's just what we need, aliens coming down & inflating the collective Christian ego.

Which kind of angels? The "angels/nikes/putto" of the Romans or the interesting eye-covered ring figures of Ezekial 10:12? Also, which kind of Christianity? Today, there are 30,000 to 40,000 different denominations globally, so even if the aliens did preach one form of Christianity, would it be a form we would recognize or an obscure version like the Amish & Mennonites?

I actually don't think it would affect much if extra-terrestrial life was found. Many theology scholars & clergy may quit Christianity but most normal people don't care about all of the dogma anyway. Virtually every Christian I know in daily life simply care about the basics: God, Devil, Heaven, Hell, Judgment Day, prophets, sinners, right vs wrong, etc. So none of that would change.

Ironically, the Qur'an does NOT treat Creation as the Bible does & does not reject the concept of extra-terrestrial life. In fact, one of God's names/titles is "Lord of the Worlds". So I would be surprised if we did NOT find extra-terrestrial life. The universe is simply too big for us to be the only ones.
edit on 17-3-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2015 by enlightenedservant because: corrected a typo. i suck :'(

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort

a reply to: Anyafaj

Which sect are the true Christians? I've never understood how there can be so many denominations when there's only one book.

Hopefully not the Westboro Baptists...

Nope, those are lawyers masquerading as Christians. It's my major pet peeve. Sadly they've managed to sucker a few Christians into joining them.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

What if the aliens look like angels?
What do angels look like ?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
Christians are very good at modifying their interpretation of scripture to accommodate change.

I don't think the confirmation of alien life will harm their beliefs.

All I got from your post was stereotyping, and conjecture with no basis whatsoever. Where in the bible scripture does it explicitly say that mankind is the only creation in the universe, yes Adam was the first 'Man' as in Human male, but there is nothing that I know of in the scriptures that say life elsewhere in the universe is not possible or that God has also created 'other biological beings'.

Please quote some verses if you know any. If there are no verses that deal with this issue then it means God didn't deny that there is life elsewhere...

As for considering them 'devils'. Should they show up to our planet I think there is a good possibility the religious will freak out, assume it's the Biblical end of times, even if they show no signs of malevolence.

Good possibility of a freak-out? What with a Christian man clutching on to his bible in desperation, as he cries to the heavenly father with his eyes watering, not understanding where this Alien that has just landed on his front lawn fits in with his own beliefs??

Does this depiction represent all Christians?? Or just people's reactions in general??.. to an unkown lifeform, however malevolent at first.

edit on 17-3-2015 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Technically it invalidates Judaic beliefs, but Christianity holds to the same book...

Which I've already explained in the OP... Life started here according to the bible

You maybe should go back and read Genesis .Before man was created ,there was a council in heaven and God said "let us make man in our image" If you consider life as a attribute to being then somewhere there is life other then earth . There seems to be enough human accounts to meeting and seeing other beings to believe that they exist .

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Oooooo, the stereotyping is strong with this thread. 10/10

But I'm curious why bash on Christians only? Why didn't you group all the Abrahamic faiths together and ask them the same thing?? After all there are many more hundreds of millions among the Muslim faith too.

If your going to make statements about how ET doesn't fit in with the Bible's teachings, then use some Bible scripture and quote some verses to add some meaning to your claims...

Yes Adam was the first MAN, god created, not the first CREATION, and I don't see anywhere that the Christian God has explicitly said... '' Oh btw , you guys are the only ones living in this universe so consider yourself lucky''

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

The full story of the truth may goes far beyond the existence of ETs being proven. What if the ETs bashfully admit that they were the ones that seeded Earth with its various religions as philosophical crutches to shepard mankind toward some semblance of a decent direction? What then, when you God has been killed? Do you hate the ETs or embrace them for setting you free from superstition?

So many people think that making contact with ETs is a fairly straightforward, simple task to propel humanity toward newer heights. Not so. Depending upon the revelations and how they are done, it could be the beginning of a new Dark Ages as equally well as a New Age. Can some of you understand why the dissolution of most religions now in favor on Earth are a hinderance to a genuine acceptance and understand of our place in this great universe?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Well it seems to me that an all powerful God would not leave a "gap" in his holy word...
Paul writes about a mystery " if they had known they would not have crucified Him " God keeps His cards close to His chest because He doesn't trust angels or humans . My experience with humans , tells me He has good reason to .

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

originally posted by: Aliensun

The full story of the truth may goes far beyond the existence of ETs being proven. What if the ETs bashfully admit that they were the ones that seeded Earth with its various religions as philosophical crutches to shepard mankind toward some semblance of a decent direction? What then, when you God has been killed? Do you hate the ETs or embrace them for setting you free from superstition?

So many people think that making contact with ETs is a fairly straightforward, simple task to propel humanity toward newer heights. Not so. Depending upon the revelations and how they are done, it could be the beginning of a new Dark Ages as equally well as a New Age. Can some of you understand why the dissolution of most religions now in favor on Earth are a hinderance to a genuine acceptance and understand of our place in this great universe?

It seems that you have jumped the gun here, and continued running off the track despite being told to stop. You went from aliens existing, to aliens visiting earth, to aliens saying that they seeded earth with life - and then a new dark ages.

If this thread is about creative sci-fi writing skills, I'll stick around, if it is about making baseless speculations and using them to mock someones sacred belief system, I'll kindly exit the thread now.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: AinElohim

Question: Do you believe in God?

I absolutely have zero belief in any religious god.

I find when you strip away the religious descriptions surrounding the term 'god' then it becomes a rather undefined idea. What I believe in I could possibly call 'god', but there wouldn't necessarily be much purpose in doing so. I believe reality is stranger than fiction. I believe if we understood the fullness of reality then our minds would go pop.

Does that answer your question? Where are these questions leading?

Answers my question? vaguely bro... but I'll let it pass.

Believing in the force or whatever it is good enough for me.

Religious God's humm this is logical to me considering I view Theism and Religion as separate entities, one can believe in God or the Force or even the Devil and still not be religious.

Christians are an odd lot sometimes but think they are benign for the most part. Christians as it seems to me just know their God (religious or not) unlike alot of other religious gods I myself have heard about.

I'm down with the Christians God... which doesn't mean I am religious

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: Akragon

This is not an attack on your religion, only something that was wandering In my head...

Hey, it ain't my religion.

But is it ok if I stick up for them when they're being picked on? I not a Muslim either, but you'll find me doing the same for them. If there were a big anti-Buddhist contingent on ATS (there isn't), I'd be sticking up for them too.

What it comes down to about the anti-Christian thing, and it's not really even anti-God because the only system we all know globally is Theistic.

They can't and never will get it out of their minds... So it is acceptable to do this to Christians in the English speaking world and you can call your own people things like racists, but the Anti-Jesus lot would never in a million years make fun of another religion or their god, Hindu's say or Allah. That's just the rules... and human nature.

edit on 17-3-2015 by AinElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Eunuchorn

What if the aliens look like angels?
What do angels look like ?

Supposedly they do not look like the cherubs we think they look like.

What do Angels look like?

Angels are not composed of physical matter but are spirit beings created by God (Heb. 1:14). They can resemble human form when God permits or wills it (Gen. 19). There are different orders or ranks of angels in heaven. Those that covered the throne in heaven were mighty seraphim angels. They had six wings that hovered over the throne of God. Two of the seraphim’s wings covered their faces because God is so holy that even the seraphim angels could not look upon God (Isaiah 6:2). Another set of wings covered their feet for they were in the midst of holy ground where God abided and Moses (Exodus 3:5) and Joshua (Joshua 5:15) had to remove their shoes while in the presence of God. Angels do have some human features like feet, voices, and faces (Isaiah 6:1-2).

Daniel 10:5-6 gives a vivid description of an angel that he saw: “I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist. His body was like topaz, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude.” So Daniel describes an angel with a face like a lightning bolt, eyes like flaming torches of fire, arms and legs that gleam like polished chrome, and a voice like that of thunder. It is no wonder that those men who were keepers of Jesus’ tomb severely shook and fell down like dead men in terror at the sight of the angel present there because “His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow” (Matt. 28:4).

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join