It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Wants Common Core Repealed

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Also I think since some people learned one way, and now we're older, naturally, it's going to be harder for us to wrap our brains around a new way of learning.

Yes, I was just thinking this.

The kids are not learning a "new" method, they're just learning.

As I previously stated, all the complaints I'm hearing are from the parents having to work with their kids.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Common is a mind control right brain taught to be obedient slaves and follow orders.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You say that as if I'm somehow whining because I have to actually participate in my kids' education.

The example I gave in my post happened 2 years ago, when they were in the 3rd grade and it was my very first actual experience with Common Core. I really knew nothing about it, barely ever even heard about it. To state that I don't like CC because I have to work with my kids is wrong.

I have twins who are currently in 5th grade. They are both A-B students, my daughter is in the Honor Society and both are in the Gifted and Talented program. They would not be where they are today if myself and their father had not been involved.

I fail to understand how making a child do insane amounts of steps to complete a simple math problem will help them learn anything. My role as their parent is to help them get through it and be actively involved but I also teach them the "old-school" way that they are no longer learning. I also fail to understand how a student should be marked correct if they show that 9 divided by 3 is 4 simply because they have the page-long cube full of numbers looking nice.

Unfortunately, the way math is taught is only a very small part of everything states have opted into when they took on Common Core. I am opposed to all aspects of it.

Thankfully, our state has voted it out and beginning next year, Common Core will no longer be the curriculum here. I only hope that what replaces it is better and not simply putting a different name on it.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I wonder what type of educational platform Ted Cruz would approve of?

From Ted Cruz's Right Wing Christian background and agenda; I would expect it to be Bible faith based theological style of education.

Is that what you want?

www.washingtonpost.com...
edit on 17-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I wonder what type of educational platform Ted Cruz would approve of?

From Ted Cruz's Right Wing Christian background and agenda; I would expect it to be Bible faith based theological style of education.

Is that what you want?

www.washingtonpost.com...

yes because there is no such thing as an intelligent conservative Christian......

Do you really believe what you say or are you so bigoted that you really believe that you cant be conservative or have a faith and be an intellectual at the same time?

The irony here is your statement is the height of ignorance. Bravo

The left wing liberal ideology that preaches tolerance and fairness really are hypocrites and your post is a glaring example of that....another reason why we shouldnt trust a damn thing the left says.....
edit on 3/17/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Do you really believe what you say or are you so bigoted that you really believe that you cant be conservative or have a faith and be an intellectual at the same time?

Where did I say that?

The irony here is your statement is the height of ignorance. Bravo

I didn't make a statement...I asked a question.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoherentlyConfused
When your child comes home and begins to cry because they don't understand their simple (2-digit addition) math problems and you as their parent cannot help them, there's a problem.

Perhaps the problem is with you not putting in the time to learn then? The kid doesn't know it, you as the adult that graduated school are supposed to. If you don't, then it was your own schooling that was deficient, and you should correct that.

originally posted by: CoherentlyConfused
Dots, grids, circles--the methods are extremely odd. When they started long division, it got completely ridiculous. To divide 9 by 3 took nearly an entire page. I couldn't even try to describe what they had to do.

If I understand the way they do it (keep in mind, I am long out of grade school, I have no kids in grade school) they try and break the numbers down so that they are multiples of 5 or 10.

Essentially they take the communicative property and make it the primary factor in division (and multiplication).

758/40 can be expressed as (760/40)-(2/40)=19-.05=18.95

The reason this is done is because factors of 10 are very quick to do operations on in a base 10 system (daily I do this math in base 2, base 10, and base 16, it's all the same process). So they teach how to round things to the nearest 0 digit. The end result is that this allows the person to quickly and accurately do math in their head.

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The topic was Ted Cruz's tweet regarding "repeal" that is seemingly oblivious to what Common Core standards actually are.

Are we concerned at all that Mr. Cruz wants to be President of the United States while displaying that level of ... unawareness ... to be charitable?

From everything I've read on him, Ted Cruz is quite smart. He is 100% aware of the realities of what Common Core is, just as he was likely aware of what Net Neutrality is. The man however values a soundbyte and Twitter is how he chooses to communicate. That means short messages that fire up the base regardless of the reality.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: amfirst1
Common is a mind control right brain taught to be obedient slaves and follow orders.

Isn't that what all education is? Seriously, what do you call an education that teaches people to join the work force and be productive members of society within whatever system they live?

If anything common core is less about being an obedient slave because the goal is in teaching people how to create new ways of doing things rather than fitting into the established paradigms their bosses ask of them.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
From everything I've read on him, Ted Cruz is quite smart. He is 100% aware of the realities of what Common Core is, just as he was likely aware of what Net Neutrality is. The man however values a soundbyte and Twitter is how he chooses to communicate. That means short messages that fire up the base regardless of the reality.

I've heard that he's smart, too. I have yet to see the evidence. But I agree with you that the reality of the matter is far less important than the soundbyte and the frustration he can tap into with his fantasies.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that they are so enamored of their process that that's all they care about. And they don't care about memorizing math facts exactly. They only want kids to process, process, process ... even if they get the wrong answer out of the process.

My husband who makes a living at math as a biostatistician and is very successful would be failing because he picked up his math facts so quickly and easily that he would have skipped their process. He had the answers internalized and was doing the process that quickly and easily that he saw no reason to bother. In other words, it's a waste for him. It will be a waste for other kids too, but they'll be bludgeoned into wasting their time with it.

There is simply no point to it for most beyond a certain point.

You know where else it's good just to process, process, process? Corporate America. Dont' worry about the outcome and don't ask questions. Just process, process, process exactly as told. Maybe this is why the Captains of Industry were to deeply entwined in the process. They need assembly troops and cubicle rats, not cooks to compete for their own jobs.

Good compliant slaves. All the cooks will come out of the ranks of the private academies or from those of us who care enough to actually teach our children.
edit on 17-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

That's not what I said. But, I do think you are making excuses.

I'm not a math person, but the math people I've talked to support the method being used by CC.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
The left wing liberal ideology that preaches tolerance and fairness really are hypocrites and your post is a glaring example of that....another reason why we shouldnt trust a damn thing the left says.....

Would you say it is bigoted to classify an entire (unspecified) group (ideology) as hypocrites without acknowledging that you're speaking of millions of individual people?

Kind of like someone who believes that individuals "can't be conservative or have a faith and be an intellectual at the same time?"

Aren't you doing the very thing that you're criticizing as bigotry in others?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What group are you referring to in your first paragraph with "they" and "their" ... teachers? The Governors who helped design the CC standards? The hidden corporatists controlling the process?

Who is/are "they"?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Kind of like someone who believes that individuals "can't be conservative or have a faith and be an intellectual at the same time?"

That's not at all what I posted. That was just an mis interpretation of my question.

A clear case of letting ideology get in the way of reading comprehension.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Check to see whom my comment is directed to.
edit on 16Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:23:41 -050015p042015366 by Gryphon66 because: Who whom

I quoted what ManBehindtheMask was saying to you. I do beg your pardon if it seemed that I was confirming his summation of your statement!

My comment is not directed at you, at all, but at MBTM.
edit on 18Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:17:43 -050015p062015366 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join