It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Wants Common Core Repealed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
All this illustrates is that you appear to be someone who will support something based on who it is from, rather than judge it by its contents.

1. Gryphon doesn't say that he supports Common Core. You assumed that. And if you have a mind to say that I support it, just because of my participation in this thread, please don't make the same assumption. I am neutral because I don't know enough about it to support it or oppose it.

2. Illustrating that Common core was supported by a completely bipartisan group of state governors does NOTHING to indicate who one supports. It's bipartisan! How can you say the above quote?

3. On the other hand, YOUR posts in this thread clearly indicate that you highly disapprove of Common Core, because it appeals to the lowest common denominator, encourages dumbing down, is a one-size-fits-all approach to education and turns out mediocre students. Do you have evidence of any of this - since you home-school?

Then you ask others if they have evidence that it's any good... Do you know how Common Core works? Or are you just blasting it with talking points?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I think it's bad (Common Core). I asked for evidence to the contrary.

I guess I don't blindly believe what the government/media tells me.

I should apologise for that?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I think it's bad (Common Core).

And I'm asking you for evidence that it's bad.

I guess I don't blindly believe what the government/media tells me.

Suggesting that those who challenge you or disagree with you do so because they just "blindly trust the government and media" is just a crappy personal attack.

I should apologise for that?

Did I say you should apologize? No. I asked if you know how Common Core works. I'm just asking for your evidence for why you think it's is bad. You've made this judgment and voiced it and I'm asking on what you base your judgment. Or are you just blasting it with talking points?

Can you answer the questions without getting defensive and attacking??

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

*shakes head*

*sigh*

I think the whole education system in America sucks. I think Common Core is like putting poo on a giant turd sandwich.

I asked for evidence to the contrary.

Folks with whom I usually don't agree with took me up on that and provided either anectdotal or we spoke of the issues surrounding education and homeschooling.

It was quite pleasant and refreshing not to be so god-damned combative all the effing time.

I definitelly learned from it. Not enough to change my opinion, but I appreciate the effort and the honest replies.

Frankly, I'm not in the effing mood to piss people off or be all god-damned partisan. I was about learning more.

IT'S WHY I ASKED THE EFFING QUESTION!

You win, I'll surrender. Not in the mood.

Gold star for you!

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
As a parent of elementary school kids currently being "taught" with the CC Standards, I vehemently oppose them.

When your child comes home and begins to cry because they don't understand their simple (2-digit addition) math problems and you as their parent cannot help them, there's a problem.

Sure, they could do the math, 24+32, in the standard, normal way we were all taught, but looking at the boxy-grid set up they have been given to learn, it looked like Greek to me. I'd never seen such a thing before. Unfortunately, even if the actual answer to the problem is correct, if they did not show the work in the form required by these new standards, the problem would be marked incorrect.

That is why I have a problem with Common Core.

Every child learns differently. Trying to lump every child together to teach them all the same way is wrong.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

I starred your post because I have been hoping to hear from more people with experience.

I have read that Common Core has nothing to do with the WAY information is taught.

I wonder why teachers are using these box and dot methods... Does your child use dots?

From what I've seen, this boxy thing is basically the same way we all learned, just a step by step thought process. The mind usually does these simple problems... (7-4) but if you have to draw 7 dots and then strike out 4 of them and count the remainder, it seems pretty stupid...

I agree that teaching all children the say WAY is wrong. I wonder if the teachers are just being lazy...
edit on 3/17/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

I am awaiting with great anticipation the moment this clown is nominated as the Republican Party nominee for the office of President of the United States.

The next great event I am expecting is to watch him and Hillary in an National open debate.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I've heard now on multiple occasions that "lumping kids together to teach them all the same way is what's wrong with Common Core."

Since when was American public education individually tailored to the specific needs of each individual student???

I am neither a fan nor an opponent of Common Core standards. These are NOT what most people say they are (THANKS OBAMA! *shakes fist at sky*) which is the only reason I, or I anticipate many others here, are involved in the discussion.

Some of us feel strongly about preserving the integrity of information presented on ATS.

But seriously, I grew up in the 70s, graduated high school in the 80s, and received both an undergraduate and a graduate degree.

Which Public School did any of you go to that had a curriculum designed and implemented according to your own personal needs?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I wonder why teachers are using these box and dot methods... Does your child use dots?

Dots, grids, circles--the methods are extremely odd. When they started long division, it got completely ridiculous. To divide 9 by 3 took nearly an entire page. I couldn't even try to describe what they had to do.

The teachers are not being lazy, they are required to teach this way due to these standards. Required being the absolute key word. Many of the teachers at their school, especially the older ones that have been teaching for a long time, are absolutely livid.

It goes way beyond just the way math is taught though. There's a national database that is being kept at an individually identifiable level for every child enrolled in participating CC schools that they CANNOT be opted out of. The only way to opt out is to pull your child out of that school and either homeschool or put them in a private school, and even those two options are being threatened. And that alone is enough to be a concern.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Which Public School did any of you go to that had a curriculum designed and implemented according to your own personal needs?

It's not so much about that, but teachers who are required to teach Common Core have no flexibility to teach as they see fit for their students. Less control for parents and teachers is what is happening.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I appreciate that your own concern about Common Core is different from many stated here, but, indeed, the problem for many stated here is the contention that public education was not standardized rather than individualized before the Common Core was established.

For the record, I am no fan of Common Core standards, nor am I opposed to the idea in general. National standards for education have kept many countries in the world competitive, particularly in math and science, while the US continues to tumble into the dust of ignorance and superstition.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Are we getting off-topic with conversations of the merits of Common Core, what our individual experiences have been, et. al.?

The topic was Ted Cruz's tweet regarding "repeal" that is seemingly oblivious to what Common Core standards actually are.

Are we concerned at all that Mr. Cruz wants to be President of the United States while displaying that level of ... unawareness ... to be charitable?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CoherentlyConfused
As a parent of elementary school kids currently being "taught" with the CC Standards, I vehemently oppose them.

When your child comes home and begins to cry because they don't understand their simple (2-digit addition) math problems and you as their parent cannot help them, there's a problem.

Sure, they could do the math, 24+32, in the standard, normal way we were all taught, but looking at the boxy-grid set up they have been given to learn, it looked like Greek to me. I'd never seen such a thing before. Unfortunately, even if the actual answer to the problem is correct, if they did not show the work in the form required by these new standards, the problem would be marked incorrect.

You should see what the common core standards have done to literature.

Classics? Out the window.

edit on 17-3-2015 by Seamrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I promise that "-" says 'window.'

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

w i n d o w.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CoherentlyConfused

That is why I have a problem with Common Core.

Every child learns differently. Trying to lump every child together to teach them all the same way is wrong.

You see, that's what I said. It requires parent involvement.

But, I have a different attitude. I want my child to learn. I want my child to know and understand every challenge given him.

I'm not going to blame a curriculum/teacher/school because I don't understand a math problem. I'm going to blame me.

I suck at math. I can barely remember my own phone number. That's how bad I am with numbers.

I would be up all night researching the Internet for answers to a problem, if needed. Believe me CC info is aplenty on the Internet. I would write or personally go see the teacher to explain the method to me if I had to.

But, I guarantee I would learn it ---- to educate my child.

edit on 17-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Math problem homework comes home with multiple methods to solve the same problem.

We're only in kindergarten, but we're already getting this. They're getting both verticle and horizontal problems and graphs.

Like 3+6=9 and 6+3=9. It's understanding the complexity of math. They also get graphs that they compare and find the difference.

As far as individual help, our school uses a lot of volunteer parents and grandparents. They often work with an individual child who needs extra help.

I fully admit I was anti CC prior to envolvement. You can see that in my past posts.

I drank the "fearmmongering" Kool-Aid. Actually I think I got drunk on it.

Now I support it ---- so far. I leave open my right to reevaluate.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I've heard now on multiple occasions that "lumping kids together to teach them all the same way is what's wrong with Common Core."

Since when was American public education individually tailored to the specific needs of each individual student???

Right. My brother was shoved aside because he was too smart. His IQ was tested as 150 in first grade.

Apparently he was suppose to go sit in a corner and teach himself. This treatment seriously affected him for the rest of his life.

This was 1955. They did not have parent volunteers or special programs like they do today.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The topic was Ted Cruz's tweet regarding "repeal" that is seemingly oblivious to what Common Core standards actually are.

I know... I wish Ted had looked into it as deeply as we are doing here before he opened his mouth. Problem is, his supporters don't seem to care whether he knows what he's talking about or not... He's less educated about CC than I am! LOL!

originally posted by: Annee
I'm not going to blame a curriculum/teacher/school because I don't understand a math problem. I'm going to blame me.

It's so EASY to blame someone else. Really, like you, I believe the buck stops at the parent. Not only for the education of math, science, etc, but for sex education, social interaction, literature, and everything the child learns. Also I think since some people learned one way, and now we're older, naturally, it's going to be harder for us to wrap our brains around a new way of learning.

When I was in school, I was way ahead of the other kids and still managed to get a really good education because I was challenged to. There were standards that we all had to meet. Not sure why some thing CC is so different.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join