It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Wants Common Core Repealed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Universal standards?

Either everyone gets it, or only a few do, because not everyone is as smart as everyone else.

So common core teaches to the lowest common denominator.

So "everyone" wins!

Imagine if clothing was designed the same way common core is utilized.

Everyone would wear the one size that fits everyone.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Common Core is an abomination. But so is the idea that every student needs personalized testing to test their "strengths" which is the most liberal version of school testing available.

New methods of teaching aren't working. "New math" is hilarious. Students aren't taught critical thinking, they're taught how to pass tests.

In the top 25 most Westernized countries, the USA came less than 20th in every category when comparing millennials to their foreign peers for skills in Literacy, Math, and problem solving.

The USA is spending more than any other country in the top 25 on educating their kids, but failing them miserably when it comes to TEACHING.

In TEXAS (yes, TEXAS), head teachers recently noticed "a significant drop in arrests when proper teacher / student discipline was allowed back into classrooms".

It's obvious that the USA's "spare the rod" approach to both parenting and teaching is a massive failure.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: anton74

Other sources say

Who are the other sources?

Isn't Ted the main source? The horses mouth to say.

Not knowing who the other sources are or what they have actually said I am thinking people are just trying to cover for his blunder.

No covering for him and don't like him. Just pointing out that this isn't the first time he has brought it up. He co-sponsored legislation last year trying to get the government out of it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

In TEXAS (yes, TEXAS), head teachers recently noticed "a significant drop in arrests when proper teacher / student discipline was allowed back into classrooms".

It's obvious that the USA's "spare the rod" approach to both parenting and teaching is a massive failure.

What does that have to do with Common Core?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Universal standards?

Either everyone gets it, or only a few do, because not everyone is as smart as everyone else.

So common core teaches to the lowest common denominator.

So "everyone" wins!

Imagine if clothing was designed the same way common core is utilized.

Everyone would wear the one size that fits everyone.

Public school has always been middle of the road.

In my experience, so far, Common Core is as much as the child/parent want to put into it.

The biggest complaint I hear from other parents is: "The SCHOOL isn't teaching". That's pretty accurate ---- in as, NO! Common Core is not a babysitter.
edit on 16-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I really don't have a dog in this fight as we homeschool, but teachers should teach, children should learn.

Parents should parent.

Teachers and schools should be responsible for providing an environment where children can learn.

It's up to the parent to make sure children DO learn.

But when schools are dumbing down everything so "no child gets left behind" then we end up with a generation of children that are dumbed down.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
OMG the cognitive dissonance ... IT BURNS!

What political entity developed the Common Core State Standards?

The state-led effort to develop the Common Core State Standards was launched in 2009 by state leaders, including governors and state commissioners of education from 48 states, two territories and the District of Columbia, through their membership in the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). State school chiefs and governors recognized the value of consistent, real-world learning goals and launched this effort to ensure all students, regardless of where they live, are graduating high school prepared for college, career, and life.

Common Core . org - Development Process

What is the "National Governors Association Center for Best Practices" you ask?

VOILA!

Mission Statement
The National Governors Association (NGA) is the bipartisan organization of the nation’s governors. Through NGA, governors share best practices, speak with a collective voice on national policy and develop innovative solutions that improve state government and support the principles of federalism.

National Goverors Association - About

NGA CENTER FOR BEST PRACTICES BOARD
__________________________________________________________________________________

Governor Gary Herbert, Utah, Chair
Governor Phil Bryant, Mississippi
Governor Steve Beshear, Kentucky
Governor Kate Brown, Oregon

Board for NGA Center Best Practices

Herbert, Bryant are Republicans, Beshear and Brown are Democrats.

Total time to discover this information; 25 seconds.

Total time to invalidate about 70% of the posts in this thread: 1 second.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

By assigning ideological responsibility, are you trying to negate the detrimental impact of Common Core?

All this illustrates is that you appear to be someone who will support something based on who it is from, rather than judge it by its contents.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

But when schools are dumbing down everything so "no child gets left behind" then we end up with a generation of children that are dumbed down.

I had always heard the argument against common core that it wasn't dumbing down and that it was too complicated.

Now, an aside to that is Common Core introduced alternatives to learning how to do things in an effort to match concepts to individual ways of understanding. Have you heard of people being 'visual learners' or 'auditory learners?' Not everyone learns the same way. Common Core has tried to address that which has resulted in videos, like have been posted earlier, of parents not understanding how some of these newer concepts work.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

All this illustrates is that you appear to be someone who will support something based on who it is from, rather than judge it by its contents.

Enough said.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Although they only recently captured national attention, the Common Core standards – which lay out what students should know and be able to do by each grade – have been in the works since at least 2008. It all started with former Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, who was the 2006-07 chair of the National Governors Association and now leads the University of California system, says Dane Linn, a vice president of the Business Roundtable who oversees its Education and Workforce Committee.

The History of Common Core State Standards

Janet Napolitano?

That's enough right there !!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Success in any educational program would be reflected in the caliber of graduates wouldn't you agree?

Now we simply have to ask ourselves, has Common Core worked? Is it working?

Are the graduates smarter? More willing to take on higher education?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

More willing to take on higher education?

Don't forget 'More willing to take on higher debt' !!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

By assigning ideological responsibility, are you trying to negate the detrimental impact of Common Core?

Claims were made earlier in the thread; I offered facts to clarify where falsehoods were reported as fact.

Interesting that you interpret this simple act as providing information about my ideology.

Interesting to the extent that you are exhibiting the same characteristics you are trying to #$%@ condemn (at least, in this thread).

I'd say your posting behaviors here in this thread are a perfect example of the Teapot/Kettle Syndrome, Beezzer, that's just my opinion, subject to change if you actually start, you know, addressing the issues instead of other posters.
edit on 21Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:19:43 -050015p092015366 by Gryphon66 because: NOTED

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: beezzer

Enough said.

What an amazing information-filled post you've made here! The whole topic is so much more clear with this stunning analysis, clear-minded review and ...

... oh wait, your post didn't do any of that.

All your post did was to virtually "high-five" Beezzer.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on Common Core standards? Does the fact that it is a state-based effort originating with the nation's governors have any impact on your thoughts about the issue?
edit on 21Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:20:25 -050015p092015366 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

a reply to: links234

Success in any educational program would be reflected in the caliber of graduates wouldn't you agree?

Now we simply have to ask ourselves, has Common Core worked? Is it working?

Are the graduates smarter? More willing to take on higher education?

Do you have any answers to those questions? Don't keep us in suspense.

I believe that you, from what you've said vis-a-vis homeschooling your kids, have an interesting take on the actual issues involved here, and I'd love to see you leave behind the ideological posturing and commentary on what you believe about other people's beliefs to actually share some of your experiences with us!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Claims were made earlier in the thread; I offered facts to clarify where falsehoods were reported as fact.

Interesting that you interpret this simple act as providing information about my ideology.

Interesting to the extent that you are exhibiting the same characteristics you are trying to #$%@ condemn (at least, in this thread).

I'd say your posting behaviors here in this thread are a perfect example of the Teapot/Kettle Syndrome, Beezzer, that's just my opinion, subject to change if you actually start, you know, addressing the issues instead of other posters.

Don't understand what you're trying to say here. guess I'm not as smart.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Do you have any answers to those questions? Don't keep us in suspense.

Nope, jut posited some questions.

I believe that you, from what you've said vis-a-vis homeschooling your kids, have an interesting take on the actual issues involved here, and I'd love to see you leave behind the ideological posturing and commentary on what you believe about other people's beliefs to actually share some of your experiences with us!

No, not going to. Not really the right forum, and it's really no-ones business.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
For those that dont know, schools were offered large sums of money if they used common core, but they had to sign a contract to get the money! Those that took the money are now stuck with common core.

From everything I've seen, the way they're teaching math according to common core is actually a very good concept. I say that as someone who uses the exact same processes they teach, and I do a lot of math... all of it in my head. The people who are against it are the people who received poor mathematics educations, and want to bring their children down to their level because it's familiar.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I really don't have a dog in this fight as we homeschool, but teachers should teach, children should learn.

Parents should parent.

But, you're a parent that teaches.

I admit we're only in kindergarten AND my grandson is high functioning mildly Autistic.

He taught himself to read at 3, but couldn't have a 2 way conversation. He's mainstreaming from assisted kindergarten in a second year of regular kindergarten. They think maturity will help his focus.

Academically he's about 3rd grade, but testing is a challenge.

In a sense I'm also homeschooling. I print Common Core work sheets off the web that I think will challenge him. I send them in as homework and the teacher checks them. They work with me.

Many of the moms complain that they have to do school work with their kids.

If I think I need to speak with someone, I make an appointment. It's been a Win Win for me.

edit on 16-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join