It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Wants Common Core Repealed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Gee, it's almost like they come up with insane policies prior to elections, insane enough to get the voters riled up and out voting , then swoop in to save the day.

Our winner, our savior.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe they wouldn't if they didn't mis-useall that sweet sweet "education lottery" money. That is a scandal in and of itself. The States who do this should be ashamed!

I homeschool my youngest child too. Not so much because of common core but there were plenty of other reasons, like how we can get his entire core subject education done in the same amount of time it took to do the mountain of homework he had every night, and he can then focus on topics of interest. Bullying was another issue.

Anyway, my point was if States started using education funds from their lotteries to actually educate, they wouldn't need money tied to common core.

Ted Cruz did misspeak on this, though. Lol!

youtu.be...

Can't embed this John Oliver video. Salty language warning!

edit on 16-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: Phone. Argh!

edit on 16-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: Argh!!!!!

edit on 16-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: links234

OMG! What an idiot. Common Core is not federal, it's an initiative of the National Governors Association. It's not federal, it's state level.

No, it is a federal initiative linked to Obama's Race to the Top. State's get access to plum money if they implement the Common Core Standards. This makes it a federal program. In fact while you are technically correct that it was a Governor's Association thing, it was done to have a set of National Standards.

And the stuff that is being taught is a nightmare, not actually good learning at all. You can find examples of it all over.

They expect kids who aren't yet capable of it to learn abstract reasoning. And it's not that they aren't capable because they're dumb, it's because they aren't developmentally capable yet. But the standards for their grade level contain all kinds of abstract reasoning words as if little 1st and 2nd grade kids are going to start reasoning abstractly because the curriculum tells the teacher they should.

Kids now get points for the wrong answer if they show their work, but no points for the right answer if they don't show any work. Explain how that works. You're right if you're wrong, but never right if you're just right. So the lesson is that it's only the process that's important and not the result.

They read exemplar texts that are written by authors of every ethnicity, but it's too bad those authors suck at writing. Oh and the books contain explicit scenes. The second I could almost live with IF the actual writing was actually good writing, but it's not.

And because so many of the states do Common Core, the odds are that the texts in even none Common Core states will reflect the most common Common Core stuff because the big text manufacturers only produce a few books and those will cater to the largest states which are all Common Core.

And did I mention the endless testing and assessments that come with it? All the teachers do is teach to the test and the standards specify that class must all move on as a body, so they either do not move on until everyone gets it OR they leave kids behind. I know this because of both the input from our current daycare and my sister's experiences. Her middle son has both attention issues and a speech impediment and Common Core methods are killing him this year in his first full year of it.

Be honest!

It is also linked to Bushes "No Child Left Behind"!

I can blame Obama for many things, but Common Core isn't one of them!

Edit: I guess that the funny thing about this whole mess. One side is defending their President and trying to neuter their political adversary, while not realizing that by doing so they are actually defending their arch nemesis Bush!

Just another example of 2 wings same bird.......

edit on 16-3-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ted Cruz Makes Impassioned Plea For Repeal Of Federal Legislation That Does Not Exist

Federal govt has no business sticking its nose in education. We need to repeal every word of Common Core! #nhpolitics #MakeDCListen

7:53 PM - 15 Mar 2015]

Can Cruz “make DC listen”? It will be particularly hard since Common Core is not, in fact, a federal law.

The Common Core State Standards Initiative, known as Common Core, was developed by the states — with input from teachers, education experts and business leaders — and has been voluntarily adopted by 43 states and the District Of Columbia. Notably, “the federal government played no role in creating the standards, nor did it require that states adopt them.”

That's right, Ted. Let's repeal a federal standard that DOESN'T EXIST. If this guy is this ignorant of what "Common Core" is, and what body of government does have authority over it (hint: not the federal government) than how can he possibly offer any insight into it? Just another wingnut pandering to an equally ignorant audience.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Are kids really doing their homework by drawing dots and circles??? Seriously? I find it hard to believe.

I thought Common Core was about education standards.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Repeal the funding !!!

Cruz was hoping for people of the opposite party to jump.

Seems they might be too.

[waiting for Obama to say he's going to veto]

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Maybe he will EO Ted Cruz to get an education.

Ted Cruz ✔ @tedcruz

Federal govt has no business sticking its nose in education. We need to repeal every word of Common Core!

Why didn't he say funding?

I am thinking that is because he didn't mean funding.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I think your link has illuminated why Ted is making a big stink about this...

The RNC attacked Obama, who was not involved in the creation of the standards, but ignored the role of many Republicans in creating Common Core. Many of the states that adopted Common Core are controlled, in whole or in part, by Republicans.

The historical role of Republicans in creating and adopting the standards, however, is not lost on Ted Cruz. One of Common Core’s biggest supporters is former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, who just might be competing against Cruz to be the Republican nominee for president in 2016.
Source

So, if anything Cruz does makes sense, this now does.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I think your link has illuminated why Ted is making a big stink about this...

The RNC attacked Obama, who was not involved in the creation of the standards, but ignored the role of many Republicans in creating Common Core. Many of the states that adopted Common Core are controlled, in whole or in part, by Republicans.

The historical role of Republicans in creating and adopting the standards, however, is not lost on Ted Cruz. One of Common Core’s biggest supporters is former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, who just might be competing against Cruz to be the Republican nominee for president in 2016.
Source

So, if anything Cruz does makes sense, this now does.

So are you going to take it back?

I was being honest and showing how Common Core wasn't Obama's fault!

No wonder our country is doomed when so many people want to pick up their pom poms and cheer on their team when in reality they are cheering for the team they hate.

Oh the emotional distress is killing me!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
So are you going to take it back?

Take what back? I wasn't even talking to you.

No wonder our country is doomed when so many people want to pick up their pom poms and cheer on their team when in reality they are cheering for the team they hate.

I don't even belong to a team! I don't know what you're talking about... My opinion of Ted Cruz doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the letter behind his name. Still... what are you on about? Do you have me confused with someone else??
edit on 3/16/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I think BH is saying it makes sense that Ted is making this an issue because he will be running against Jeb Bush in the primaries.

Since Jeb is for it if Ted can raise a stink and get support he will have hedged himself in the primaries.

It makes sense why he took issue with it, but he is still dumb as dirt for thinking it is federal law.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Yeah, but they completely hated No Child. Thing is that Common Core really opened the door to all sorts of weirdness using No Child. I never understood why they hated it so much. After all, the "sainted" Ted Kennedy was No Child's co-author.

They always forget about that bit. It was one of the more infamous examples of what happens when you have bi-partisanship. If it works, the left gets what they want. If it doesn't, blame it on the Republican dupes who went in on it with you and they can own it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
What most people here don't realize is that a LOT of parents HATE Common Core. There are a lot of people who have kids in school who are dealing with this stuff right now who hate it, really hate it. I think this is a huge issue with a lot of people.

And if you haven't dealt with it somehow, you don't really understand how frustrating it is for many.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Congress might over turn that !!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, but they completely hated No Child. Thing is that Common Core really opened the door to all sorts of weirdness using No Child. I never understood why they hated it so much. After all, the "sainted" Ted Kennedy was No Child's co-author.

They always forget about that bit. It was one of the more infamous examples of what happens when you have bi-partisanship. If it works, the left gets what they want. If it doesn't, blame it on the Republican dupes who went in on it with you and they can own it.

Just goes to show ya?

Who is being played?

Those of us who buy into their con?

This thread is a perfect example of why our country is screwed don' ya think?

It was made to discredit a political adversary due to religious/political affiliation and then *whoops*! Because it was shown it was from the opposite church we have a bunch of him hawing and stuttering?

Wake up!

The only thing that makes the 2 parties opposite? Are those of us who buy into their BS!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: xuenchen

Ted Cruz ✔ @tedcruz

Federal govt has no business sticking its nose in education. We need to repeal every word of Common Core!

Why didn't he say funding?

I am thinking that is because he didn't mean funding.

Nor did he say who "we" is and what "every word of common core" means.

Other sources say that he doesn't want any federal money tied to common core and for the Dept. of Ed to have nothing to do with it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I can't find ANYTHING that support the assertion in your videos... I don't know who's teaching kids to use dots like that, but everything I've read about Common Core has NOTHING to do with HOW teachers teach... I think the people in your videos are making things up...

a reply to: Grimpachi

Thanks for explaining me. You're correct, but I'm still confused as hell about seeker's posts. What did he think I meant?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thanks for explaining me. You're correct, but I'm still confused as hell about seeker's posts. What did he think I meant?

Now that I am not sure at all about.

I just knew he wasn't getting what you were saying.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is the largest-ever attempt in the United States to set unified expectations for what students in kindergarten through 12th grade should know and be able to do in each grade in preparation for college and the workforce. In short, the standards are meant to get every student in America on the same page.

So this effort to push unified expectations and standards should end and students should be taught to their individual ability and not to some arbitrary universal standard set well away from the children.

Caveat; Our son is home-schooled so we do not have to deal with any of this tripe.

Actually Common Core does address individual needs. Sort of.

I was against it 100% ---- until I was actually in the program with my grandson. I now support it.

People that say schools were better back in the 50s have selective memory. They weren't. It was far worse actually. For one thing there was a lot of favoritism to certain kids and their parents. Can't do that under Common Core.

Common Core has a set of standards that has to be met. This is a good thing.

It doesn't "babysit". Parents have to work with their kids. This is a good thing.

The Curriculum is geared to what is needed to be successful in an academic world. That is not a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: anton74

Other sources say

Who are the other sources?

Isn't Ted the main source? The horses mouth to say.

Not knowing who the other sources are or what they have actually said I am thinking people are just trying to cover for his blunder.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join