It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea, Belarus, Cuba, Russia....next Cuban Missile Crisis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
So....There has been a couple of odd meetings and "announcements" lately that don't seem to have gotten the attention they deserve.

On March 3rd Ri Su Yong, North Korea's Foreign Minister, states, at a UN Conference on Disarmament:

“The DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) cannot but bolster its nuclear deterrent capability to cope with the ever-increasing nuclear threat of the US,” he told the Geneva forum, according to Reuters. “Now the DPRK has the power of deterring the US and conducting a pre-emptive strike as well, if necessary.”

Source

He heads to Belarus:

"As the minister just mentioned, both sides exchanged opinions on various questions on the whole range of our relations, including the development of the political, economic, and humanitarian ties between North Korea and Belarus, and also exchanged opinions on the questions that present mutual interest in regional and international affairs."

Source

He then makes an unannounced stop in Russia:

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Su Yong, who has arrived in Moscow on an unscheduled visit, met with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov Friday, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.

Source

This was a bit after NK's state media announced the Year of Friendship with Russia:

North Korean state media said the two countries had agreed to make 2015 a “year of friendship” to mark the 70th anniversary of “Korea’s liberation and the victory in the great Patriotic War in Russia” – references to the defeats of Japan and Nazi Germany in 1945.

Source

And Kim Un was invited to Russia for the 70th anniversary of the end of the second war in Europe:

The Kremlin confirmed it had invited North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, to visit Moscow on 9 May to mark the anniversary of the end of the second word war in Europe.

The trip would be Kim’s first outside North Korea since he became leader of regime following the death of his father, Kim Jong-il, in late 2011. The older Kim visited Russia in August 2011 in his armoured train for a meeting with then Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev.

Then a couple days later Ri Su Yong pops up in Cuba:

North Korea and Cuba are in the same trench against the United States, said on Monday the North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Su, on a visit to Havana amid tensions by launching missiles into the sea by Pyongyang.

Ri said in a meeting with his Cuban counterpart, Bruno Rodríguez, the two communist nations "share a history of fighting together in the same trench against US imperialism, which ends today exerting economic pressures against our countries," said the Cuban agency Prensa Latina.

She noted that Ri also "stressed the excellent state of ties" between the two countries and conveyed a "Homage of President Kim Jong-Un to expand and further strengthen" these bonds.

Rodriguez reiterated the support of Cuba "the peaceful reunification of the Korean peninsula without foreign interference or intervention," he added Prensa Latina.

The head of North Korean diplomacy arrived on an official visit to the island on Sunday, amid tensions on the Korean peninsula by the release on Thursday of seven missiles into the sea by Pyongyang, in a show of force against the joint military maneuvers South Korea and the United States.

His visit is the first by a North Korean official after Cuba and the United States began a historic approximation process in December, and coincides with a new meeting between the two old enemies of the Cold War in Havana aiming at the restoration of diplomatic relations after half century.

Do not rule out that Ri is also received by President Raul Castro.

Source (not in English)

All the while Putin being missing and creating a bit of mystery for people to keep their eyes on.

So....why have these trips not garnered any attention?

And this announcement by China, all during the same 10 days, is rather odd as well:

(Reuters) - The leaders of China and North Korea will meet when it is convenient for them, China's foreign minister said on Sunday, calling China's isolated neighbouring country a friend.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has yet to visit China, his country's only remaining ally of any importance, since assuming office after his father died in 2011, though he is expected to go to Russia this year.

Ties with China have cooled since Kim took over and then, in 2013, defied international warnings and U.N. sanctions to conduct a third nuclear test.

"As to when leaders of the two countries will meet, we have to see when it is convenient for both parties," Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters on the sidelines of an annual meeting of China's parliament.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has met South Korea's President Park Geun-hye six times since both took office in 2012, underscoring strengthening ties.

Wang described North Korea as a "friendly neighbour". The two were allies in the 1950-53 Korean War.

"We cherish our traditional friendship with North Korea and we seek the normal development of our relations. The China-North Korea relationship has a strong foundation ... It should not and will not be affected by temporary events."

Source

NK is up to something, and would appear to be pulling in some of the old crew that threatened the west, as well as making some enhanced relations in these areas.

With the threat that Ri made to the US directly during the UN meeting, it would seem they are stepping up their game a bit versus just rattling sabers this time.....meeting with Russia and Cuba within 2 days of each other and just after threatening the US gives me a second to pause for thought on how they could play out the next World War with a Cuban Missile Crisis scenario playing out again.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Great thread with a great group of information! S & F

I agree that something is going on. And connecting the dots, well I don't like the picture it begins to show.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

North Korea seems to be changing and is seeking partners.

A lot of countries are forming alliances away from US influences, and it seems NK is wanting to join them. Think about BRICS, Russia making an economic union in Eurasia, China and Russia making a union and China making an union in Asia...and with being blocked by the West, NK seeks to be partners with the alliances who still want to be partners with them.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I believe China is going to play a major role in whatever conflict comes out of this. I just see that all of these countries becoming buddy buddy, especially with the announcement from NK about the "Year of Friendship" with Russia, makes it appear as if there is about to be a big shift in world power that can only happen 2 ways....a showdown where the US backs down, or a showdown where WW occurs and the best man wins.

This puts our EU allies in a particularly bad situation with their economies tied closely to the US and allows the true allies of China to have a separate economic support state with fewer players but more to back them with.

Also with the Chinese military being as large as it is, and having been actively building new toys with another just announced, makes the threat here ever more possible in my eyes:

Hong Kong, March 9 (CNA) Several senior Chinese officials have confirmed that China is building its second aircraft carrier and will likely adopt an improved launch system for aircraft on the ship, a Chinese-language daily in Hong Kong reported Monday.

Source

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I apologize for the glib and short response but...

If you make a lot of enemies, why be surprised if they all join together?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

North Korea seems to be changing and is seeking partners.

A lot of countries are forming alliances away from US influences, and it seems NK is wanting to join them. Think about BRICS, Russia making an economic union in Eurasia, China and Russia making a union and China making an union in Asia...and with being blocked by the West, NK seeks to be partners with the alliances who still want to be partners with them.

Also look at the nuclear power of those in BRICS...Brazil(had nuclear program at one point), Russia, India, China and South Africa (Had nukes but are claimed dismantled). So NK is not only meeting with some major players, but some major nuclear players and a country that played a massive role in the previous missile crisis.

So then you have the report that came on March 8th of a Chinese ship bound for Cuba that was caught with just a tiny arsenal on March 4th:

Colombian authorities impounded the ship at Mamonal Port in Cartagena on March 4, discovering within eight shipping containers some 100 tons of gunpowder, 2.64 million rounds of centerfire ammunition, 99 missile heads, and almost 3,000 cannon shells

Source

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit
I apologize for the glib and short response but...

If you make a lot of enemies, why be surprised if they all join together?

Not surprised at all.....just trying to see what is playing out. Nothing really surprising about them all talking, just the timing and what is happening right now seem like there is about to be a big play in some manner.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
North Korea has been burning it bridges with China calling them traitors because they have been signing deals with South Korea. However with Russia broke, Cuba broke and Belarus broke and all with lots of old out of date weapons I would expect NK is looking for parts and arms. And trying to restore some ties with China is also vital for them to get some cash to buy some of that stuff.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
There was also a sideline meeting in Geneva on March 2nd between the Cuban FM and Russian FM.

On March 2, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov met with Foreign Minister of the Republic of Cuba Bruno Rodriguez on the sidelines of the High-Level Segment of the 28th session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
The ministers exchanged views on a number of current international issues with an emphasis on deepening Russian-Cuban cooperation in the spirit of the bilateral strategic partnership, including at the UN Human Rights Council.
Mr Lavrov and Mr Rodriguez stressed the importance of the upcoming joint events to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Victory over Fascism.

Source

Interesting to not how UN officials view Ri Su Yong as well:

Ri spent two decades in Berne as ambassador to Switzerland and to the United Nations Organization in Geneva, where he was the dean of the diplomatic corps. One U.N. official in Geneva described him to the Reuters news agency as “very savvy and sophisticated, in the sense that he knows the score.”

“He was always reputed to be the [Kim] family’s fixer, whatever needed fixing,” the official told Reuters. When it comes to economic policy, Ri is said to be a reformist who understands well the Western mentality. Functionaries at the Foreign Ministry reportedly refer to him as “The Businessman.”

Source

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Personally I just see NK diversifying it's international friendships away from being so dependent on China. Jong-un has been reigned in a bit by China and I'm sure he would like more freedom to negotiate his way with America.

I don't see anything unhealthy. To be honest NK being so dependent on China isn't a good situation. It will take decades for NK to diversify even a little but it's for the best.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

North Korea have always had goodish relations with Russia after the wall came down,but they had better relations with the Soviet Russians-Stalin was a good commie buddy of 'lil kims dad-he even gave him one of those awesome looking soviet trains,and helped build railways.

So the Russian visit may be the 'lil cheese eater reaffiming old ties,maybe scrounging for cheap russian gas as well..

The ministers "unsheduled"stop in Belarus could be anything from dropping off a load of heroin to refueling the plane.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
Personally I just see NK diversifying it's international friendships away from being so dependent on China. Jong-un has been reigned in a bit by China and I'm sure he would like more freedom to negotiate his way with America.

I don't see anything unhealthy. To be honest NK being so dependent on China isn't a good situation. It will take decades for NK to diversify even a little but it's for the best.

It's not unhealthy for NK. But they did just have RI in Geneva at a UN convention and he did threaten the US. RI is supposed to be their "fixer" that understands US relations, so I am wondering how that comment plays into his recent visits.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

The Russia - NK relationship does merit close monitoring like you have said. Russia is clearly looking for ways to cause problems for the West and NK is looking for more support to cause those problems. It really is a match that has room to grow significantly if Kim Jong-un plays his cards right.

I could see Russia sending all sorts of military support to NK while they send work crews up to various Russian mega projects, like the Siberian railway rebuild. If Russia sent in S-300 air defense equipment they would upset Washington to no end. That is a very real possibility.

Cuba could send technicians on food production and doctors I guess...but not much else.
edit on 16-3-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

The Russia - NK relationship does merit close monitoring like you have said. Russia is clearly looking for ways to cause problems for the West and NK is looking for more support to cause those problems. It really is a match that has room to grow significantly if Kim Jong-un plays his cards right.

I could see Russia sending all sorts of military support to NK while they send work crews up to various Russian mega projects, like the Siberian railway rebuild. If Russia sent in S-300 air defense equipment they would upset Washington to no end. That is a very real possibility.

Cuba could send technicians on food production and doctors I guess...but not much else.

My worry is if both Russia and NK send anything to Cuba. There have already been 2 big cargo busts there in the last 2 years for arms transport. The last one, that I posted about earlier in the thread, has largely gone unreported anywhere....that is disturbing.

Just because Russia said theY disarmed and removed all nukes doesn't mean they actually did.

My thought is that if either Russia or NK has serious determination to bring the US down, Cuba is the perfect ally to position this. It is close enough that an alliance with them and having nukes there would make for some serious negotiation power.

The recent meetings between these players being close and the fact they are typically few and far between, coupled with the very recent munitions bust, has me thinking there are some nefarious actions at play here.
edit on 3/16/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

My worry is if both Russia and NK send anything to Cuba. There have already been 2 big cargo busts there in the last 2 years for arms transport. The last one, that I posted about earlier in the thread, has largely gone unreported anywhere....that is disturbing.

Just because Russia said theY disarmed and removed all nukes doesn't mean they actually did.

My thought is that if either Russia or NK has serious determination to bring the US down, Cuba is the perfect ally to position this. It is close enough that an alliance with them and having nukes there would make for some serious negotiation power.

The recent meetings between these players being close and the fact they are typically few and far between, coupled with the very recent munitions bust, has me thinking there are some nefarious actions at play here.

Land based Nukes lost any strategic use with coming of age of SSBNs when comes to location. They can park anywhere they want off the coast and are much harder to detect and destroy. Cuba knows Russia is done. In a few years it will another US vacation destination.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Cuba knows Russia is done. In a few years it will another US vacation destination.

Yeah I thought Cuba was warming relations with the Great Evil Empire? Vasa didn't you get the memo? Cuba is a nostalgic place to visit soon...get your sandels ready for some adventure!

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Well, with Ri's quotes coming directly from Cuban news sources about the US, I would say that there is a long way to go to repair relations:

North Korea and Cuba share the same struggle against US aggression, Pyongyang's foreign minister said Monday as Washington and Havana held new talks on restoring diplomatic ties.

In a visit to Havana that coincided with the latest round of talks on normalizing US-Cuban relations, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Su-Yong played up the two communist regimes' history of enmity toward the United States.

North Korea and Cuba "share a history of fighting together in the same trench against American imperialism, which continues to exert economic pressure on our countries to this day," Ri was quoted as saying by Cuba's state-run news agency Prensa Latina.

Source

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Well, with Ri's quotes coming directly from Cuban news sources about the US, I would say that there is a long way to go to repair relations:

North Korea and Cuba share the same struggle against US aggression, Pyongyang's foreign minister said Monday as Washington and Havana held new talks on restoring diplomatic ties.

In a visit to Havana that coincided with the latest round of talks on normalizing US-Cuban relations, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Su-Yong played up the two communist regimes' history of enmity toward the United States.

North Korea and Cuba "share a history of fighting together in the same trench against American imperialism, which continues to exert economic pressure on our countries to this day," Ri was quoted as saying by Cuba's state-run news agency Prensa Latina.

Source

You have to love North Korea's PR people. The only common cause Cuba has with North Korea is spare parts for weapons so old parts are no longer made for them.

top topics

join