It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people keep acting like voting matters?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I see it all over the place on these forums -

We should respect the people we voted for.
You need to vote to see the change you want.
If you don't vote, don't bi*ch ( Jesse Ventura )
If you don't like who's in office and you didn't vote, it's your fault.

On and on, about how voting is going to change the world, about how WE are to blame for everything going on.

There's evidence all over the place that voting is rigged, favors the rich, etc - Show me some evidence that it's fair, that each vote is counted and represented correctly, and that anyone from any class ( lower, middle, upper ) can show up on the ballot and have a fair chance, and equal coverage on the media.

The reason I'm asking for proof from others? I have not seen it myself - I can't find it! I have no reason to assume that voting in any way is fair, equal, or is meant to represent the 99% in any way.

Pointing fingers is something we need to do in this day and age, in my opinion - But instead of at each other, every finger needs to point to DC. Then we can change.

/end rant

Cheers ATS,

Deadlyhope

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
& here I thought I was the only one,
Down with the system!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The only reason I don't vote is there's nothing worth voting for. You guys let me know when "Change" shows up again.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
They still vote in North Korea I think.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
We get to choose from a bunch of candidates who have been taught or will be taught to follow the same path as has been followed by the rest of the politicians. Even a good man will become corrupted in politics, opting to sign his soul over to gain what the people who voted for him want or need.

The presidential candidates are all liars or twist things out of proportion. There again, society sets what is correct or incorrect behavior, the ones who run society are not a representation of all the people, just the pushy people.

Our vote doesn't matter if the system is broken, that is like putting new spark plugs in a car without any wheels on it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Totally agree with everything you say i have only ever voted once in my life

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think most people on ATS understand that the system is rigged. There are a few hard core partisans on the site, but for the most part people here know what they are doing when they vote. I vote because I feel strongly about my Libertarian candidates. If there are no Libertarian candidates I vote for pro-second amendment candidates. Hopefully everyone can find a reason to vote because I still think it is important.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
For foreign policy it may be a puppeteer pulling the strings.
I say that because I never thought Obama would have picked
up where Bush left off.

For domestic policy I think it totally matters. If not for one party or the other
we wouldn't have Obama Care or the advancement in the Marijuana laws, minimum wage,abortion,
death penalty, wealth redistribution, on and on,
that we have seen. (Im pro some against the others)

As far a cheating Im pretty sure it happens in some elections, to the benefit of
both sides.

I still think your vote matters.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Ferguson, Mo. is 67% black; yet they have had a white major, a white police chief, 5 of 7 council people are white and they've suffered an abusive and corrupt fines, fees, tickets and courts system of public safety administration.

Last august, after the shooting incident, they had a voter registration drive in the black community and only managed to get 200 people registered. This spring break, college kids showed up as volonteers to do a voter registration drive and could only find 100 people who would bother to register. At least at the local level, voting matters and unless and until the Ferguson black community stands up to vote, they can't begin to effectuate the reforms needed in their local governance. I'd agree that the national elections are a woeful crock...but at the local level, they matter as never before.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

They matter on every level. I agree with you that local politics is even more important but only because you have more of a say. Let's face it, In a country with 146 Million registered voters, 1 vote isn't going to make that much of a difference. The point is that if the vast majority of us want something, we are going to get it for better or worse.

To the OP:
Yes it is OUR fault, we like to blame others for our own decisions, but it is all on us. Here are some voter stats:

From this link

Imagine if we had a 90% turnout? That extra 30% would have a huge impact. We are in a Republic, so if you expect your singular vote to outweigh over 300 million Americans, than you have a much bigger view of yourself than is warranted and will never be satisfied.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I would say voting on state and local issues can be worthwhile.

In Denver we wanted to legalize marijuana and then we had a vote on it. It passed because of the YES votes, had everyone stayed home and simply wished for it then it would not have happened. It makes me feel like I'm living in a Democracy!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I will continue to write in Gumby for president.
The rest of them can go jump in a lake.
edit on 16-3-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I refuse to vote-IMO a vote is like choosing the lesser of two evils.

The true voters are the lobbyists and big business-they sway policy more than any voter would and the left and the right are both guilty of bowing to them when the campaign starts.

If the left wants the megacorps to pay their fair share of taxes, the right will have the friends in the tabloids run a smear campaign, but when the left is in office then the unions will demand better wages without thinking where those extra wages will come from.

In short: The right can crunch the numbers but will forget the people and the left will remember the people but can't crunch the numbers. I want a better system.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Voting can matter, but the way we have espoused ourselves (America in general) with the two-party system, it really doesn't. But if people would actually pay attention and vote intelligently, it would matter.

Voting isn't the problem, it's the voters.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Id argue that long term conditioning is the problem.

I will happily, nay, PROUDLY, never register to vote. Ever.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have tried to relay this message for a while now. I've also been accused of it being "my fault" because I don't vote. The only change that comes from voting is democrat to republican. Hell, I don't even see a difference in the parties nowadays, seems to be they both wanna flush the country down the toilet. Here's to voting

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here in Britain I have become totally disillusioned with politics.

All parties are exactly the same, the MP's are worse, they bicker, they argue, they blame, they claim expenses, they fiddle their tax and worse.

How many times have you seen a politician stand up and say "You know what guys, I think this would be great for the country"

How about they quit the bickering and ALL work together to improve the country for everyone!!

It's not going to happen, that's why I don't vote.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

“It makes no difference who you vote for - the two parties are really one party representing four percent of the people”
Gore Vidal

I never vote for anyone....I just vote against the fascists tyrants seeking to enslave the American working man.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Good example of what can happen when people don't vote.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I hear ya and I dread the upcoming election and how it will affect ATS. Voting is an illusion and we fall for it everytime.
edit on 16-3-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join