It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Sun four days off center in the solar system?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Clearly the blue circle will take longer to travel...

... unless I walk quicker while on the longer path...

If you're trolling, get a life... but if you're serious in your lack of comprehension of basic mathematics, then I worry that there are people this ignorant in the world... with any luck you will never get to a position that allows you to make decisions for others.
edit on 16-3-2015 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Mind you both have 360 degree but which will take you longer to travel? The black circle or the red oval?

You're so focused on the 360 degree aspect and being right that you completely neglect the most important factor in determining the amount of time it would take to traverse the circle or sphere vs. the ellipse.

If the 2 units share the same circumference then the time to make one lap is going to be the same. It won't matter that one is a circle or sphere and the other elliptical. The circumference is going to be the determining factor in your imaginary race.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I recently read that scientist know that the Earth is closer to the sun in the earths Northern Hemisphere's winter (roughly 91,300,000 miles) than it is during the Northern Hemispheres summer (roughly 94,500,000 miles). So we learn that the earth orbit around the sun is not a circle but elliptical.

Most orbits are ellipses. A perfect circular orbit is just a weird special case of an elliptical orbit with perigee and apogee the same.

Allowing that the distance is approximately four days of movement off center creating the elliptical course the earth currently follows (or the universe follows depending on if your are geocentric rather than heliocentric). the measurement of four day travel is according to the time it takes the earth to travel in space for four days.

Where are you getting your distance measurement for "four day travel"? How are you defining it? If it's the distance traversed around the orbit, you're off by about a factor of 2.

So why is it so?

I'd be more suspicious if it were NOT so. Perfect circular orbits are the sorts of things you don't sustain for long without constant correction.

Could it be the earth revolved for four days before the Sun was created creating this four day difference?

You seem to be confused between orbit and rotation. They are not the same.

In Genesis 1:14 the sun is said to be created on the forth day.

What would have happened would have been more like "And God created two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. But he never said that he set them in motion, relative to each other. So they began to drift towards each other. And there was a great ripping and tearing of the firmament, and the waters were vaporized, yea verily the lesser light and the Earth soon entered each others' Roche limits, and there was weeping and gnashing of teeth as each was destroyed in fiery cataclysm. Then only a few millennia later, they both fell into the greater light, and were no more, and God said "Dammit, I should have had a copy of Adventures in Celestial Mechanics!"

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

without an elliptical orbit there would be no seasons.

Wrong again! The earth is at perihelion during the Northern hemisphere's winter. Seasons don't correlate to distance.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

three theories that are proven unscientific by the laws of thermodynamics are as follows

1) The universe has always been here.
2) The universe came into existence by accident sometime in the past. (the big bang)
3) The universe is just an illusion.

Your assumption on two is wrong.

The Big Bang does not say the universe started by accident.

Just that it stated in a big expansion of energy.

What existed before the Big Bang or caused it is another topic.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

effectually is is the same the sun exploded and spun out semi-gaseous and molten material that eventually by the suns gravitational pull settle into orbits around the sun cooled and formed planets.

Nope again. An earlier generation star went supernova and exploded a VERY long time ago, that's where all the heavier bits than hydrogen and helium came from that are in the solar system. Actually, given the metal content of Sol, it's probably the third time around for all the chunkier bits, we're the aftermath of two previous explosions that seeded heavier elements through this region. At some point, you started getting infall, the stuff accumulated, eventually you had enough gravity and infall energy that you got ignition and there was Sol. The solar wind blew away a lot of lighter elements from the inner system, thus you get more rocky bodies up close and more gas giants further out.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

so then you agree it is off center seeing it is elliptic and not a perfect circle?

Not at all. The Sun is exactly where it should be - at one of the foci of the ellipse.

If the Earth's motion described a CIRCLE, then you could say (if it were true) that something was "off center", but an ellipse has TWO centers, if you will, and the Sun is at one.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

a reply to: paradoxious

From what I read it says, "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day" half day of light and have a day of dark pretty much lines up with a typical 24 hour day wouldn't ya say?

Do you believe that the day is evenly divided into half light and half dark? Do you think that even holds true at the same time in all parts of the Earth?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

here is a 2 dimensional diagram, now is the sun off center to the earths orbit?

How many centers are there in an ellipse?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Mind you both have 360 degree but which will take you longer to travel? The black circle or the red oval?

THE EYE OF SAURON!! You must be one o' them satan worshippers.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
...then I worry that there are people this ignorant in the world... with any luck you will never get to a position that allows you to make decisions for others.

"I have a more horrible thought than yours"
I asked: "Yeah, what is it?"
"Look at them again...then stop and think that each one has a vote, and that it counts just as much as yours or mine"

Pappy Boyington as a wrestling referee, speaking to a wrestler watching the crowd before a match...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes...no hyperbole...

I had a hyperbole once. I always ran out of fruit loops when I used it.

how far can light travel in four days?
4 light-days

how far do solar winds travel in four days?
As far as they can.

how far do cosmic rays travel in four days?
Again, as far as they can.

how far can you walk in four days?
Depends on where I need to go.

how far does the earth travel in four days as it travels around the sun?

Remind me again, how long is a day?

a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

are you saying you can traverse a circular track in the same time it takes you to traverse an oval track?

Yep. All a circle is, is an ellipse which happens to have both foci at the same point.

a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoesso bent light waves still travel the distance as straight on light waves?
Yep. It's space that bends, not the light.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

here is a 2 dimensional diagram, now is the sun off center to the earths orbit?

How many centers are there in an ellipse?
An ellipse has no center, but rather has foci. Of which, a symmetrical ellipse has at least one, which would make a circle, two- which would make a perfect ellipse.

If it had more than 2 foci, that would make an odd shape at best.
edit on 16-3-2015 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: paradoxious
An ellipse has no center, but rather has foci.

That was sort of the point.

You can't be "off center" in an ellipse. You can, however, be at one of the foci, and the Sun is.

However, if you wanted to say an ellipse HAD something that sort of acted as a center, the foci would be them. Or it. Whatever.

edit on 16-3-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

It has to do with gravitational pull, and physics. Remember that the sun is also moving, it doesn't sit in place... the whole solar system has a velocity pulling it in one direction. This creates a slightly elliptical orbit.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This is a damn good thread OP.
Snf

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Whether you are of the mind of a universal big bang or a solar big bang they are basically of the same thought.

No they aren't. There is no such thing as "solar big bang". The formation of the solar system is a COMPLETELY different scientific theory than the big bang.

Formation and evolution of the Solar System

Big Bang

After reading thousands of theories and never reaching anything of value, what really does so-called SCIENCE have to offer on the subject of where anything actually comes from ??

Science conveniently tries to NOT answer the hardest questions.

If you had TRULY read "thousands of theories" you'd know that what you just said above is completely daffy. Doesn't try to answer the hardest questions? Science answers the questions for which there is evidence to answer for. If the evidence doesn't exist then it doesn't answer those question.

This prevents science from making up evidence to answer questions. Science does continually build on itself so that it can answer harder and harder questions, but you have to answer the easier questions before you can answer the harder questions. Though considering Quantum Mechanics is a pretty tough question that science is attempting to answer, you are pretty much wrong.

And that means it is a Hi-JACKED religious study, full of THEORIES, which by the way means SEARCH FOR GOD.

This makes zero sense in context of what you just said. If science doesn't answer the hardest questions (search for god being one of those) then how can it be a religious study? Your effort to spout off blind science denialism has caused you to contradict yourself. Pretty funny I must say.
edit on 17-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I am still lost at where those 4 days comes from...

OP, care to elaborate??

What is math behind earth orbits around sun and where those 4 days comes from.

While you at it, does it mention that Sun has an orbit and its own speed? Because we are part of MilkyWay, we have yet another orbit, witch we predict will lead us into collision with Andromeda galaxy, ruining our nice spirals...

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
I am still lost at where those 4 days comes from...

OP, care to elaborate??

What is math behind earth orbits around sun and where those 4 days comes from.

While you at it, does it mention that Sun has an orbit and its own speed? Because we are part of MilkyWay, we have yet another orbit, witch we predict will lead us into collision with Andromeda galaxy, ruining our nice spirals...

I googled the 4 day thing and literally had this thread as the top result, with nothing else comming up. I didn't look for long, but I'm pretty sure this is completely made up.

Most likely homie got this off of some Christian conspiracy site and there isn't even a 4 day anything.

Would others please try and research and see if y'all come up with anything. I bet even the 4 day premiss is just made up bs.
edit on 17-3-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

He already said he got it from his dad earlier in the thread, but couldn't confirm where his dad got it from.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join