It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1984 is here, Democrat wants to punish incorrect thought (climate deniers)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But his opinions aren't law nor are they even being considered to be laws. The OP is a lie. 1984 isn't here, because the opinions in it are just opinions of one man who REALLY takes climate change seriously.

Though this shows an interesting case study. Al Gore presents an opinion, and the right freaks the f out like it is being implemented tomorrow. Why does it look like the right wants to silence Al Gore while at the same time screaming that their right to deny science is going to be suppressed? At the end of the day, I just seem two groups of people saying opposing opinions. Oh and a thread full of hyperbole.

So if being an elected official is all that matters, then we should expect the progressive left to shut about the Koch brothers right?

They DO try to do that... There are plenty of leftist pieces endorsing shutdown of Koch brother involvement in the government.
edit on 16-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

1. You didn't answer my question, but then again, you have no obligation to ever do so.

2. I doubt that people will defend freedom because I see daily evidence of this on this site.

3. Vote for whomever you wish. I don't care. Listen or don't listen to Gore. I don't care.

But when the very idea of punishing anyone for having a different opinion comes up and people end up defending the ideology of whomever suggests that, then expect some criticism.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Good point

I don't recall any Koch brother was ever Vice President of the US
or ran and almost won the Presidency of the US

Like comparing apples to oranges

But, let's be kind, maybe some of the responders are too young to remember that Al Gore was VP and almost POTUS, sign of the current state of education.

Actually, a Koch brother did run for Vice President in the 80's (David) as a candidate for the LP, a party for which they were providing a substantial amount of the funding. Let's not forget who started the Tea Party, a "movement" that has sought to "punish" politicians who disagree with their positions, particularly those in the GOP who aren't fanatical enough. A "movement" that has dozens of affiliated elected officials in Congress right now. No sway there.

You're right though, there are differences. Al Gore made a movie, the Koch's pay other people to make all their propaganda for them.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is a pre-emptive strike to butter people up for the upcoming EPA regulations that will put big pressure on the entire coal industry.

The coal industry to which you have sworn your undying love and admiration? I guess I just don't get it. What debt do conservatives, all the way down to the lowest economic levels, believe they owe the fossil fuel industry? When you register as a Republican do you immediately receive stock?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You do know that Al Gore isn't currently an elected official right? He has no more say in how our country is ran than you or I.

Ok, I'll bite.

A former Democratic Vice President
A former Democratic candidate for President
is not a Democrat

I never said he wasn't a Democrat. I said he isn't an elected official.

and has absolutely no influence over currently in office Democrats
because he is irrelevant
he was only a previous VPOTUS
and only ran for POTUS and came close to winning
but you are right, he has no influence now
and is not really a Democrat anymore

So point me to a law being drafted in Congress at Mr. Gore's behest that outlines his desires in your OP.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Save the Polar Man-Bear-Pigs! Gore for President!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This isn't about loving Al Gore or not criticizing him! Criticize whomever you want. Be it Gore or Koch!

Whoever brought Koch into this is just derailing, because he's not a politician, elected official NOR did he ban a governmental organization from using words, that I know of!

Criticize whomever you want! Hate whomever you want! But Al Gore didn't even suggest that the government should "punish" people for their thought or speech.

Congrats to those who took this way off topic!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well since we're off topic, I'd like to take this time to say I'm enjoying the way you're posting today. Critical thinking is something that has been sorely missed around here. Nice job!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

They can speak freely.

But they can be exposed and critisized too.

Then they can squirm.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

1: Al Gore didn't threaten to punish ANYONE. He simply suggested that perhaps people shouldn't be voting for candidates who deny climate change. Since Climate Change is kinda his "gig", is that at all surprising? It's no different than people saying "You shouldn't vote for X candidate because he supports abortion". Same effing deal. If Al Gore had said "Denying Climate Change should be illegal.", I'd be the first person to say "Woah hold on there Mr. Gore, people are allowed to believe whatever they want."

2: I defend freedom on the DAILY here. Between arguing with anti-gunners, pro-putinites, etc.

3: I WILL vote for whoever I damn well please. Though I probably won't in 2016, since by that time I expect to be a naturalized Japanese citizen. As such, I must renounce my American citizenship.

The entire premise of this thread was built around misleading people about what Al Gore said. What he ACTUALLY said wasn't at all what was suggested in this thread. That is what I take issue with.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The Koch Bros started one faction of "The Tea Party".

The dozens of other factions are from other groups and other people.

But the "* SCARE *" factor is universal among Progressives and other concerned opposition.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: xuenchen

This is a pre-emptive strike to butter people up for the upcoming EPA regulations that will put big pressure on the entire coal industry.

The coal industry to which you have sworn your undying love and admiration? I guess I just don't get it. What debt do conservatives, all the way down to the lowest economic levels, believe they owe the fossil fuel industry? When you register as a Republican do you immediately receive stock?

The EPA Democrats are out to destroy many industries.

But they have no economic transition plan.

Very dangerous.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I did find this interesting in this thread.

Regardless of whether Gore said or didn't say to punish people for thinking differently, people immediately defended Gore simply based on ideology.

It's almost as if, ideology came first and freedom to say and believe differently came second.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
This isn't about loving Al Gore or not criticizing him! Criticize whomever you want. Be it Gore or Koch!

Whoever brought Koch into this is just derailing, because he's not a politician, elected official NOR did he ban a governmental organization from using words, that I know of!

Criticize whomever you want! Hate whomever you want! But Al Gore didn't even suggest that the government should "punish" people for their thought or speech.

Congrats to those who took this way off topic!

Check out these links, all I'm going to say

(fr 2013) www.occupycorporatism.com...

(fr 2009) www.climatedepot.com... art-punishing-them-now/

(fr 2013) www.theblaze.com... -stump-him/

(fr 2013) junkscience.com... (also suggesting gay bashers be publicly shamed - a form of punishment)

Other influential politicans:
Environmentalist Robert F. Kennedy Jr (son of “Bobby Kennedy) lashed out at sceptics in 2007, declaring:
“This is treason. And we need to start treating them as traitors”16
In June 2009, former Clinton Administration official Joe Romm defended a comment on his Climate Progress website warning sceptics saying: “An entire generation will soon be ready to strangle you and your kind while you sleep in your beds,”
scottishsceptic.co.uk...

All of these articles show we are headed toward 1984
and totalitarianism being accepted as desirable
because the politicians know better than the little people do,
and incorrect thinking is a danger to society,
and must be eliminated from society.

edit on 1Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:18:26 -0500pm31603pmk161 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

No offense OP but you are grasping at straws.

How is Al Gore linked to NSA surveillance or Samsung??? sure he is the last person I want to represent a cause that I feel strongly about but he is not exactly an advocate for totalitarianism.

It wasn't Gore that introduced the patriot act so why are you linking him to these dubious acts? and I use the word 'linking' in it's broadest definition because it appears that you have as well.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
Check out these links, all I'm going to say

I don't know what you're responding to in my post. I looked at the first link and I don't know what you're trying to tell me. I'm not going to try to figure out what you're trying to say by trying to read your mind or read through a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with Al Gore punishing anyone. If you want to tell me something, you're going to have to come right out and say it. Sorry.

This thread is hyperbole and not true. That's all that really matters to me. All this other superfluous crap is meaningless.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

No offense OP but you are grasping at straws.

How is Al Gore linked to NSA surveillance or Samsung??? sure he is the last person I want to represent a cause that I feel strongly about but he is not exactly an advocate for totalitarianism.

It wasn't Gore that introduced the patriot act so why are you linking him to these dubious acts? and I use the word 'linking' in it's broadest definition because it appears that you have as well.

Since you don't understand

Read the book 1984

All of these issues (in the OP) add up to two basic items found in the book 1984:

1.Thought control
2.Total surveillance of all people under the control of politicians
All done in the name of "protecting" the citizen from themselves

The things happening in the book ARE starting to happen today and are, as you have seen in this thread, supported whole heartedly by people who don't realize what their blindness to what it will lead to

Total and complete totalitarian repression
with only the politicians defining all values, all proper thoughts, all "proper and contemporary politically correct" ideas,
what is allowed to eat, how long one is allowed to watch TV,
(the same article , written by the US government where the recommendation to monitor all citizens TV habits, also recommends tracking all citizens for many other "health related" activities)
for everyone, who must blindly obey
or risk punishment
(i.e. "re-education" or "removal from society" (death)

We are quickly heading to a 1984 life
if current trends continue unchallenged.

That is the point.

www.health.gov...
This TV recommendation has nothing to do with Samsung, it is a government recommendation for monitoring and controlling all citizens diets, lifestyles etc. But you have to read all the pages, not just the first few to see how intrusive the recommendations are, including putting monitors in the shoes of all children.

All of these issues also add up
edit on 12Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:57:13 -0500pm31603pmk161 by grandmakdw because: addition

edit on 1Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:04:36 -0500pm31603pmk161 by grandmakdw because: added link to "TV" recommendations

edit on 1Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:07:29 -0500pm31603pmk161 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I defended Gore because the thread's entire premise is flawed. Not because of "ideology".

One: I'm a centrist. I'm right a great many issues, but also left on some. For the record, I'm on the fence on climate change. I don't deny it's happening at all, but I am skeptical to whether human activity has an appreciable effect on it.

Two: You can say or believe whatever you want, but when the entire thread is based on a lie disguised as a truth, I take issue.

Three: Believe whatever you want about me and my "ideology". But I will defend Freedom tooth and nail.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

That post wasn't directed at you, but to everyone who looked at ideology first.

I actually like this thread because it was very telling.

The concept of punishing different ideas apparently comes with a caveat to ideology.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

That post wasn't directed at you, but to everyone who looked at ideology first.

I actually like this thread because it was very telling.

The concept of punishing different ideas apparently comes with a caveat to ideology.

Hey...whoa there, Beez...We don't want to have to punish you for thinking that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join