It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient statues destroyed by Isis in Mosul were 'fake', say officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Ancient statues smashed by Islamic State (Isis) militants were plaster replicas, and the originals are safely stored in a Baghdad museum, said the institution's director.

Source

Well inst that some good news! Most of us have been white knuckled over the recent allegations of ISIS destroying priceless artifacts and even threatening to to destroy the Sphinx and pyramids.

"You can see iron bars inside," he pointed out "The originals don't have iron bars."

Sadly enough, not all artifacts were fake. If they had any brains, they would have swapped out all of the originals with replicas in places ISIS has not yet invaded.

Mosul's exiled governor Atheel Nuafi told Iraqi media that, "There were two items that were real and which the militants destroyed. One is a Winged Bull and the other was the God of Rozhan," reports Al Arabiya.

Its a sad day in history when mankind loses a piece of the past. I hope this news is real. This is the original story which seems iffy. Maybe they are just trying to contain the damage?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I did think when I saw the footage that they looked like they were made of plaster but I put it down to wishful thinking. I hope this is true too.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Not surprised. Many countries needed a new bogeyman to justify feeding the military industrial complex, so you get this crap. Nigeria's Boko Haram has supposedly declared allegiance to ISIS now, which is convenient to get the MIC fighting against them (Nigeria & the US had just stopped working together on military co-operation drills b/c Washington was trying to dictate Nigeria's arms purchases). Egypt is now fighting "ISIS-affiliated groups" in Libya, which are ironically the same groups NATO was helping to crush Qaddafi (these groups had been reneging on power sharing deals, and compensation for foreign businesses who lost assets during the revolution). And Japan's using the murder of its 2 hostages by ISIS as an excuse to try to pass legislation to allow their military to operate overseas again.

I told my friend to watch how much constant press coverage ISIS gets. Any business owner or entertainment biz promoter can tell you how ridiculously expensive advertisements are, but ISIS always gets the best promotional slots for free. It's like our media wants you to hate them for (insert reason of their choice).

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I did think when I saw the footage that they looked like they were made of plaster but I put it down to wishful thinking. I hope this is true too.

Now, if the public were unaware that they were fake, the obvious question is...

How many fake artifacts fill our museums and art galleries while the real treasures sit in the private homes of rich collectors/hoarders?

Do you think this is a possibility?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
yeah , When i watched the video i was like " what duh duh heck is rebar doing in the feet". I would like to believe it was a propaganda clip.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
They would most likely loot any valuable items to sell on the black market before they let the inbred soldier drones in to smash things up thinking they are receiving blessings in heaven doing their God's will.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

so why wouldn't the Iraqis install some bombs in the replicas? Not only that some ISIS animals would turn to dust, but them clowns would think 10 times before approaching valuable artifacts again ..

new topics

top topics

join