It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trichotillomania, my daughter, your advice or experience.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

It's easy.

Take a facecloth, some warm water and a bar of soap.

Wet the cloth, rub soap on it, scrub your face.

Rinse, repeat.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

because there are excessive amounts in processed foods.

Roger that.

I like my food plain, raw, unrefined, unprocessed. Harder to get these days. Expensive, too.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Generally, mine don't come out, but every so often ... I get one or two that itch or hurt like the dickens. Maybe I'm just sensitive to mine and other people aren't.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
a reply to: generalspecific

I hope this helps.

Researchers gave a number of trichotillomania patients a 1,200 mg supplement of N-acetylcysteine every day for six weeks. This dose was continued for another six weeks in patients who appeared to be responding, and doubled in patients who did not appear to be responding.

Fifty-six percent of patients treated with N-acetylcysteine demonstrated "much or very much improved" symptoms, compared with only 16 percent of those treated with a placebo. There were no adverse side effects reported. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

You may want to look into b-12 for anxiety and D-3 for depression and stress too. Try to improve her diet and see if it has any effect. I also agree with DAVID64.

The repetative behavior doing this could be because of minor seizures. The NAC is a neural regulator so this might be part of the reason on why this works. These minor seizures happen in lots of people, they can come from multiple reasons. Even stress causes minor seizures many times. People usually think of seizures being shaking and stuff, it depends on the part of the brain the signal is traveling through though. I have TLE and personally know of these things. But I never thought about mild seizures in this case, usually it is anything from licking of lips to twirling of fingers and many other things. I think the person automatically tries to retrain the mind by doing these things over and over, but the training location may not actually be the right one because the signal is not the right signal that is causing the problem. With my TLE I spent half an hour of many days twirling a rake or shovel or stick trying to fix something. that did not seem right, I also still rub my left hand thumb and finger together a lot.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well, thank you. I am aware of that technique. I thought there was some special, new, recently exposed, way to do so...a reply to: Psynic

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
When I started in my 40's it was due to a frustrating stressful life situation. Even my embarressment over my baby smooth bald circles on my head couldn't make me stop though. I'm a tiny bit OCD though... I've stopped now for the most part but the grey hairs growing in feel so weird I occasionally do a bit...:/

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: generalspecific
She's going to a doctor in the next couple of days I was just wondering if anyone on here has any personal experience on the subject a little insight would be appreciated.
Thanks, I know something like this isn't the worst but it still keeps me up at night.

Hard physical labor does wonders for people with things like fibromyalgia. Get her busy scrubbing floors or doing yard work. That should put an end to it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Aren't of Irish heritage, by any chance? Or Scot?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I am sorry to hear and hope help is found for her. It's good to take this into consideration espcially before there's permanent damage to the hair follicles let alone if it's a deeper rooted issue.
Such as she may have BDD(body dysmorphia).

One source
Classification source

edit on 16-3-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Hello,

Recently my 8 yo daughter has been pulling out the eyelashes from one of her eyelids. Weird yes I know. She has none left on one side and is starting on the brow and of coarse I'm worried. The fact that she's pulling hair is one thing, but I don't know why she's doing it. Stress, anxiety the reasons listed on internet sites are varied and I don't know if they tie into her situation. I've asked her but she gets upset which of coarse gets me upset.
I work away which I've figured may be a part of it but why start now?
She's going to a doctor in the next couple of days I was just wondering if anyone on here has any personal experience on the subject a little insight would be appreciated.
Thanks, I know something like this isn't the worst but it still keeps me up at night.

As a doctor, I can say thats this a Psychiatric disease, which falls under the OCD category and is treatable with combined drug and therapy. As far as I know its highly treatable.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Hey yeah I guess you could say her bloodline is a mix of Irish and German why do you ask I'm intrigued?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

I am sorry to hear and hope help is found for her. It's good to take this into consideration espcially before there's permanent damage to the hair follicles let alone if it's a deeper rooted issue.
Such as she may have BDD(body dysmorphia).

One source
Classification source

Thanks very much that's an interesting article whether its entirely relevant (the BDD part) I'm not sure but it was a good read, definitely food for thought.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Interestingly I've watched her do it and you wouldn't think she was aware by looking at her. She'll be watching TV or reading and plucking away very slowly and calmly. She wont register the follicle once shes pulled it and she might not grab another for a while. It's almost trance like. Thanks for your input

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Make some Chicken soup. Use some cabbage in it. Or go to a Chinese restaurant and get the buffet and have her take something with cooked cabbage. Even their egg drop soup base is usually made with boiled cabbage. It is the sulfur compounds that help with these seizure activities. Most of the drugs used to treat epilepsy and many other psychiactric disorders utilize special sulfur or nitrogen compounds.

Most of the cruciferous veggies contain compounds that slightly dope us. Sort of a phenobarbital. Food is all psychoactive, you just have to find the right combination for the situation you are in. As you get older, you automatically choose to take foods that buffer this. Somedays you feel like eating this, other days it looks repulsive. I have been studying this for a long time now.

Why do you think you get tired of eating the same thing over and over. Now to fit into society, we have to be operating in the same state as the rest of society. So moderating food chemistry is esssential. The problem is that society is often steered by fad diets so it gets really bipolar at time. We should eat things in moderation unless we are trying to correct something. We often go overboard though. Another problem is we never really paid attention to our parents when they were showing us things, because they just knew things but did not know why they did things most times. I've been going back and trying to remember what I was told, and with a gene app and my genetics done, I have been trying to untangle the reasons why. Now, the gene app results need to really be thought over, we seem to subconsciously regulate diet and exercise so it normalizes things so they seem not pertinent at first unless you analyze yourself and your families habits.

The poster above who said he/she is a doctor and they have medicines for that and it is a psychiatric disorder could also be kind of correct. But adjusting the diet a little is better. Far less side effects from naturally training yourself to eat the right foods. If you raise sulfur levels, you may have to add foods that help to detox sulfites, but these foods also lower taurine levels. Foods containing active molybdenum calm you because they neutralize taurine somewhat, excess taurine is created if you can't detox sulfites by the sulfite oxidase enzyme in some people. The taurine gives you the got a go all the time feeling, can't sit still.

If she is a teen, she may be a little low on zinc also, there could be a little swelling and itching in that area. Eating a lit of sugar causes more insulin to be created, which utilizes zinc in it's structure. The base of hormones needs zinc also, and not enough leads to acne in some people because their low on immune system chemicals which also need zinc. Many makeups and creams contain zinc and this can help, but maybe adding a multimineral or multivitamin containing zinc and some molybdenum may help.

There are many possibilities to look at. Cravings need to be working properly to be working right.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

a reply to: Bedlam

Hey yeah I guess you could say her bloodline is a mix of Irish and German why do you ask I'm intrigued?

Family is heavily Irish. Mom's family line have all got some degree of rosacea. Mine is subtle, but there, and it comes and goes.

When I'm about to have a flare (this week is a doozy, coincidentally) I'll get very itchy ears first, then my eyes get gummy and irritated, then my eyelashes itch like a case of poison ivy. And if I don't pay very close attention, I'll pull a bunch of them out. Usually my left eye.

The fun part is, if I don't pay attention, I'll get all the way to the pulling out my eyelashes stage before I even notice I'm doing it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join