It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trichotillomania, my daughter, your advice or experience.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Hello,

Recently my 8 yo daughter has been pulling out the eyelashes from one of her eyelids. Weird yes I know. She has none left on one side and is starting on the brow and of coarse I'm worried. The fact that she's pulling hair is one thing, but I don't know why she's doing it. Stress, anxiety the reasons listed on internet sites are varied and I don't know if they tie into her situation. I've asked her but she gets upset which of coarse gets me upset.
I work away which I've figured may be a part of it but why start now?
She's going to a doctor in the next couple of days I was just wondering if anyone on here has any personal experience on the subject a little insight would be appreciated.
Thanks, I know something like this isn't the worst but it still keeps me up at night.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This may sound weird but my sister had this issue whIle taking growth hormones at that exact age when she was diagnosed with dwarfism, they said it was anxiety from the shots ever day, Or possibly just a hormonal imbalance, the symptoms if you will did subside though after a couple months from what I remember, don't know if it helps. Probably unrelated but just thought I would mention that.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I did that once.

I still do occasionally pull out some eyelashes. Mine get itchy and the only thing that makes it better is to go and pull on them until some come out. I don't know if it's because I have some that are loose and they are the ones that itch ... and sometimes they actually get uncomfortable and sore.

But I only ever actually plucked my eyelids bald or close to bald once in high school. It was purely unintentional. I just got on a roll.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It may upset your daughter to talk about it, but you really need to get to the root of the problem. It may be stress from school, a fight with a friend or signs of a deeper problem. You won't know till you get her to talk about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ok, with any luck she'll mirror your experience and this wont become a recurring problem. I don't believe she realizes she's doing it though

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I know, I've been trying to tread softly though I don't want to push her to hard, it's a balancing act trying to get her to talk about it because she's embarrased about the whole thing. I'm hoping the doc might have more luck talking to her

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I was wondering how a person could pull eyelashes out so I pulled on mine. It works.
I know when I use my lashes to pull my lid to try to get dirt out of my eye, sometimes I will pull one out

Some of the answers so far sound kind of reasonable. I haven't run into this in my studies.

Now if you are naturally losing eyebrows and hair, that could be thyroid issues or exposure to radiation from somewhere. It could also be problems in the folate cycle/methylation cycle or a number of deficiencies or inadequate enzyme creation.

Try asking her why she thinks she is pulling them out.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: generalspecific

I wonder in general about the trend to remove body hair. Look at the prevalence to shaving heads, waxing, and plucking from (ahem), everywhere…

I don't get it, either. Sorry about your daughters anxiety. It isn't that hair is icky, biting finger nails would be more destructive.

Let her do it? It will pass. Or you could give her tweezers and say, you missed one. We focus on the behavior without trying to find out whats behind it. Tell her you'll be there if she ever wants to talk about what else is going on and then let_it_go.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I hope it does pass, for a percentage of people it doesn't and as I said in the original post I agree the removal of the hair isn't my main concern but rather the cause. I doubt many parents could watch their child singularly pulling out the hairs one at a time and just let_it_go but thanks for your input nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I hope this helps.

Researchers gave a number of trichotillomania patients a 1,200 mg supplement of N-acetylcysteine every day for six weeks. This dose was continued for another six weeks in patients who appeared to be responding, and doubled in patients who did not appear to be responding.

Fifty-six percent of patients treated with N-acetylcysteine demonstrated "much or very much improved" symptoms, compared with only 16 percent of those treated with a placebo. There were no adverse side effects reported. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

You may want to look into b-12 for anxiety and D-3 for depression and stress too. Try to improve her diet and see if it has any effect. I also agree with DAVID64.
edit on 16-3-2015 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Your daughter may also be pulling out her eyelashes because they itch which could be associated with allergies or...

A common cause of itchy eyelashes is blepharitis, which is often caused by a failure to properly clean your eyelids
www.wisegeekhealth.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I doubt many parents could watch their child singularly pulling out the hairs one at a time and just let_it_go but thanks for your input nonetheless.

If you act like its no big deal she may or may not open up. if you force the issue, focus on it and expect her to talk to a doctor for instance, that may have the opposite effect.

Thats what I meant by letting it go. She's not suicidal, cutting herself or taking drugs, much more destructive paths than plucking her eyebrows. So don't over worry and she won't either. She may even tell you whats on her mind.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I agree, just ask to she if she knows why. She may not even realize she is doing it.

(11%) reported having seen patients with trichotillomania that occurred solely during sleep
Sleep isolated trichotillomania

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

thanks, i agree and that's pretty much what I've been doing. She wouldn't be aware of my concern, I've only mentioned it twice but I understand it's a reasonably common condition and was just wondering about other peoples experiences negative or positive.
You're right though she doesn't need me projecting any more stress towards her than what she might already be feeling what blows my mind is she doesn't seem to be otherwise affected. She's a happy kid and we have a blast most of the time.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

I agree, just ask to she if she knows why. She may not even realize she is doing it.

(11%) reported having seen patients with trichotillomania that occurred solely during sleep
Sleep isolated trichotillomania

In their sleep? Thanks for sharing that. When I was a kid others in class bit their fingernails, girls 'twirled' their hair or 'flicked' their fingers, guys "cracked" their knuckles. Knee bounce, toe tapping and all kinds of nervous energy.

Learn something else like an instrument or sport, maybe. Redirect it.

edit on 16-3-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

She's a happy kid and we have a blast most of the time.

Good medicine.

I still catch myself bouncing my knee when I'm anxious. I haven't gone crazy yet.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

For me redirected my anxiety did not help. Changing my diet is what worked for me. I started by mainly avoid sugar because there are excessive amounts in processed foods. This was just posted on ATS today Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a candy bar

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Does she ever talk to dolls or stuffed animals when she's alone? You might be able to get her to admit to one why she does it. One trick I remember is leaving a note written by the doll to get someone to open up...

I imagine it will be due to some sort of anxiety. Mild form of self-harm. Reassure her that she wont get in trouble for telling you.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Ever see microscopic photographs of the bizarre ecosystem residing in ones eyelashes?

pestkill.org...

It's a wonder we don't all pluck ourselves bare.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

failure to properly clean your eyelids
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Wait a minute please. I am 56yo and I have never once cleaned my eyelid properly. How is this done and why? I don't think I've ever pulled out an eyelid...that I remember.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join