It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicket Software & Net

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I paid for a program to run my computer. Now I need daily updates to keep it secure which cannot be guaranteed. Ok, it’s like my car; I must fill up the tank. The only difference is I’m sure I could sue a filling station if they put water in my tank. So why can’t I get a weekly secure download which I can control and install to fix this issue without been connected. I can also use a program to not loose data if there is a break in connectivity while doing the download.
No I must be connected for background updates which leave my computer open while connected to whoever feels like they need to look at what I’m doing. Service providers realized quickly they can make more money by a break (spike) in connectivity which cannot be proven. I once used 700+ mega bytes for a 240 mega byte update in the background. I got so pissed that I took screen shots of my connection graft and challenged the service provider. They gave me 1 G-byte for free but the problem wasn’t fixed. I can just imagine how much they make daily with the volumes they handle. (#@%&)

Then the anti virus and the malicious software removal programs that also needs daily updates and still cannot guarantee a safe computer. It is forced on me because of people with malicious intent or some anti virus companies whom writes viruses to make sure they sell their products. And lately we need to be connected for about everything we need to do on a computer. (#@%&)

And lastly the main culprit; the BS-net where you are forced to go through 90% BS before you can actually do what you came for. Yes it is caused by the “get paid by click” option. I even saw 2 similar type programs fighting on my computer for superiority when I investigated a busy computer without any opened programs. And now the new pop-ups that blanks out pages. They all got this hard to find buttons to close when escape does not work on the keyboard. It makes me think of this restaurant selling the bad tasting food getting a new Musician every week to draw customers, but the food never change. (#@%&)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

I've not heard of anyone using something like that. Venturing probably 99% of us members either don't nor know anyone who does!!!???? Why did you feel or see the need to???????

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Since the most secure computers ate offline. Wouldn't it make sense to download the update and transfer it to an offline computer?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I just felt like ranting. I live in a poor reception area in South Africa and my only option is data bundles for connection. My budget allows me 3G-bytes a month which use to be sufficient for a month with my needs. It’s the 16th and I’m nearly out of bundle again. This is happening all the time lately.
I do use a 2 computer system with my old XP one for the internet and an external drive to communicate between them. The XP one only freeze up when I’m on the net and its always when its downloading something in the background I didn’t scheduled for.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

Hey there ICYC--understand now, thanks. You know? That "running outta time" falls on us to here in the States too..
Now they've recently go with standardized rolling over of un used data each month....and now most do.

We're always running out with appls, sites, music and vid downloads etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I struggle to find stand alone updates and my computers use different Window Os systems. I do clean and update the new one once a month because of the online only option. But the removing and replacing of data before and after updates is a waste of productive time. And given the privacy nature of some of my files it’s needed.

new topics

top topics

join