It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a candy bar

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Well, different brands have different recipes, and sugars can add different flavors to any type of sauce.

People should not being buying mass produced pasta sauce.

I'm not disputing the point of the thread, just the comparison of an entire jar of tomato sauce to a single candy bar. If there was a similar amount of sugar per serving of tomato sauce, then that would be alarming. But this specific example is like being alarmed if a full gallon of milk had the same amount of sugar as an 8oz energy drink.

Agreed. However pasta sauce should not have any added sugar.

Sorry but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. You can't assume all people have the same taste buds as yours, much less that there's a proper or improper way to make foods. Perhaps you don't need or want any type of added sugars in your tomato sauces. And that's fine. Your taste buds may not like it or you may feel it's bad for health. and that's fine. But saying that no one should add sugar comes off a bit arrogant, like you know what's best for all households who may make their sauces differently.

There's a reason why there are so many different types of prepared foods & recipes in this world: it's simply because people have different tastes. Like I said in a previous post, people may add honey, sugar, brown sugar, or other ingredients to their tomato sauces. And there's nothing wrong with doing that. For example, I prefer one of our "secret recipes" for sweet, vegetarian chili. And nope, I can't tell the ingredients in it!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Perhaps you don't need or want any type of added sugars in your tomato sauces.

Frankly I have no idea why you would be arguing in favor of added more sugar to processed tomato sauces. There is a reason for the obesity epidemic in this country and the amount of sugar and salt that is purposely added to almost all processed foods is a major part of it, there is no need for additional sugar in tomato sauce.

Like I said in a previous post, people may add honey, sugar, brown sugar, or other ingredients to their tomato sauces. And there's nothing wrong with doing that.

As I already stated, that is their prerogative, however that is an unnecessary ingredient which I attribute to either not knowing how to prepare this properly or starting with inferior tomatoes. If you are adding additional sweetener to tomato sauce it is because you either enjoy overly-sweetened food or the tomatoes were not properly ripened.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
i do not like "fresh" tomatos from the produce section. We have some great local farmers that sell stuff at a farmers market. I don't have time to grow anything other than a few flowers and maybe some herbs.

The farmer's market is a fantastic option. I would use them over store bought anything.

I have a wonderful farmer's market on the way to a doctor's office here. I usually leave a few minutes early, pull in, grab local honey, fruits, and vegetables, leave them in my car, go to my appointment, and then go home and put my treasure away. I especially love getting carrots, chopping them up and freezing them for my dog. She LOVES fresh carrot sticks as a cold summer snack. And I love knowing what she's eating and knowing it's not laden with poison from China and supporting my local community.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Perhaps you don't need or want any type of added sugars in your tomato sauces.

Frankly I have no idea why you would be arguing in favor of added more sugar to processed tomato sauces. There is a reason for the obesity epidemic in this country and the amount of sugar and salt that is purposely added to almost all processed foods is a major part of it, there is no need for additional sugar in tomato sauce.

Like I said in a previous post, people may add honey, sugar, brown sugar, or other ingredients to their tomato sauces. And there's nothing wrong with doing that.

As I already stated, that is their prerogative, however that is an unnecessary ingredient which I attribute to either not knowing how to prepare this properly or starting with inferior tomatoes. If you are adding additional sweetener to tomato sauce it is because you either enjoy overly-sweetened food or the tomatoes were not properly ripened.

I happened to disagree on the tomatoes. My grandmother added only one spoonful of sugar to a very large pot of sauce, most of which was canned and stored in the basement for another dinner, or handed out to friends and family. Relatively, we're talking a very small amount of sugar. Now my grandmother and I have very average bodies. Myself more on a trim side. My grandmother when she goes out to eat it's more fine dining. Now her granddaughter, my stepsister is overweight, she grew up eating candy and hiding it from her grandmother, she's a heavy McDonald's eater. So between her and her grandmother there are two different diets. One is obese, one is not. One eats more salts and sugars, one did not.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'd have to disagree here.... (or maybe agree with your statement on pi*s poor tomatoes). I'm in England and you need to add sugar to tomato sauce if you want it to have a certain taste. Of course you don't have to but it works. The added sugar won't be as bad in the sauce as the vegetables will have fibre in them so not all will get absorbed into the body and the fibre helps alert the body when full.

I'm an anti carb obsessive but a pinch of sugar in tomato sauce is something I'd never leave out!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
My grandmother added only one spoonful of sugar to a very large pot of sauce...

So let me ask you, what would be the point of that? Does a small spoonful of sugar actually contribue anything to a large quantity of sauce? It certainly wouldn't do anytiung to make the tomatoes less acidic as others have claimed. To me it seems like it is perfunctionary more than necessary.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
I'd have to disagree here.... (or maybe agree with your statement on pi*s poor tomatoes).

I am surpirsed with Italy being relatively close that you cannot get good San Marzanos instead of hot house tomatoes.

If I had to somehow sweeten tomato sauce I would probably opt to include some diced carrot as an option prior to adding refined sugar.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

My grandmother added only one spoonful of sugar to a very large pot of sauce...

So let me ask you, what would be the point of that? Does a small spoonful of sugar actually contribue anything to a large quantity of sauce? It certainly wouldn't do anytiung to make the tomatoes less acidic as others have claimed. To me it seems like it is perfunctionary more than necessary.

As I said, it's the way she's always done it. I've always made my sauce exactly like hers. I've always gotten complements, no complaints over my sauce. I also happen to like mine spicy so I always had red pepper flakes to mine. Not too much, just enough.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

As I said, it's the way she's always done it.

Understood, however I asked you about what it contributes to the recipe.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

As I said, it's the way she's always done it.

Understood, however I asked you about what it contributes to the recipe.

I am not a scientist, I only know what others claim. I know I have always enjoyed her sauce, so I refuse to mess with success. LOL

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Fair enough.

posted on Jul, 1 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Oh, my, that's too much...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

If you buy your own sauce no offense but ewww!

I make all my own sauces and it's really easy, cheap and you get a ton left over to freeze. As for Oreo's I make my own. They are delicious, a little time consuming to put together but worth it!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join