It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a candy bar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hid den sugars in your foods

Do you have any idea how much sugar you're eating? It's probably a lot more than you think.

As this shocking graphic reveals, millions of us are unwittingly eating everyday foods packed with sugar - and getting fatter in the process.

While some culprits, such as Coca-Cola and ice cream are well known (and used here for comparison purposes), there are many other less obvious foods - such as pasta sauce, soup and so-called healthy granola - that are loaded with the white stuff.

I think the two that shocked me most were the Oreo cookie (1 sugar) and the Ben & Jerry's (25 sugars!!!). As for the apple and the mango, aren't they healthy sugars and not white sugars? Last I knew there was a difference in the body. White sugar broke down differently and was more unhealthy in the body, fruit sugar didn't break down the way white sugar did and broke down in a more healthy manner, which was why they tell you to eat fruit instead of candies and other sweets. Or have things changed scientifically?

edit on Sat Mar 21 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed very long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Not sure if this is true, i hear they add sugar to milk as well. Can anyone confirm?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I eat the hell out of fruit. I had an apple, an orange, a mango, and some grapes today.
I actually went and checked my blood sugar before I replied. 123...perfectly healthy.
I do avoid refined sugar and corn syrup like the plague.
This song comes to mind.

edit on 15-3-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

Can't seem to post the video for some reason. It's 'Sugar' by System of a Down.
edit on 15-3-2015 by skunkape23 because: can't post youtube link to video

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Not sure if this is true, i hear they add sugar to milk as well. Can anyone confirm?

I didn't know about that one. I'm sure it's true on the flavored milks, such as coffee, chocolate, strawberry, and some of the nut milks, Silk. (Unless it says otherwise). Not sure on the white milk though.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
All carbohydrates are made from sugar.

thenutritiondebate.com

A commonly held belief among the general public, and even among nutritionists, is that complex carbohydrates (polysaccharides, e.g. starches) are digested more slowly than simple carbohydrates (sugars) and thus are healthier. However, there appears to be no significant difference between simple and complex carbohydrates in terms of their effect on blood sugar. Some simple carbohydrates (e.g. fructose) are digested very slowly (and very differently from glucose), while some complex carbohydrates (starches), especially that in processed food, raise blood sugar rapidly.

edit on 15-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This is an hour and a half long so not for the feint hearted.

Mrsnonspecific has lost a lot of weight and feels better than ever after I watched this and chaned our diet.

It's about how fructose is different to other sugars and why people get fat.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Mrsnonspecific has lost a lot of weight and feels better than ever after I watched this and chaned our diet.

I'm getting ready for bed, but I'll catch it tomorrow. Thanks for the video!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

I'm getting ready for bed, but I'll catch it tomorrow. Thanks for the video!

Its a hefty watch but worth it in my opinion.

Gets a little complicated but he tells you when to zone out.

I bet you anything it will change the way you think about food, good luck!

edit on 15/3/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Its a hefty watch but worth it in my opinion.

Gets a little complicated but he tells you when to zone out.

I bet you anything it will change the way you think about food, good luck!

I'm one of those Netflix documentary junkies, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. (My last two favorites I watched were "Tapped" about the damage the bottle water industry is doing to our planet, and my other all time favorite, "Jiro Loves Sushi". One of the last great sushi masters. It was actually a good doc.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

lactose is sugar.

no, its not added to milk (unless you are getting a flavored milk like chocolate milk)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The dentist office has poster like this just for drinks. I knew the calories in a naked smoothie, I too considered the natural fruit to be the good kind of sugar. The poster was reminding that it effects the enamel of tour teeth. I also was taught that eating the fruit rather than drinking the juice was better for us.

What I learned is for my teeth an apple pie is the same for breakfast as the naked smoothie. Who would have thought that? Totally helped convince me to go with the apple pie!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Autorico

lactose is sugar.

no, its not added to milk (unless you are getting a flavored milk like chocolate milk)

They may be confusing milk with low fat yougort which is full of sugar.

Or they may be wrong.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Ah ok, thanks dude

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Yea, they were wrong lol.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Yea, they were wrong lol.

I have to give you the benifit of the doubt becuase your DATA.

It's funny what an avatar can do.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

What stemmed my question was my buddy said his wife gets "specially ordered" milk that doesn't have added sugar.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Mmmmmm...health alternatives huh ......

Fruit smoothies, frappes and frozen yoghurt drinks marketed as healthy beverages contain more kilojoules than an actual meal, with some having the equivalent of up to 31 teaspoons of sugar.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

My work has to do with all the process to make milk edible. My answer is no, unless you're talking about flavored milk.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

The problem we have here is that in many people's minds these sugar counts are not 'hidden'. People who care about what they put into their body already know these counts and many others. This is where we fall down - in the education to the masses of what we are eating.

Take carbs - I regularly do not eat carbs for a few weeks. The amount of times people say "So, bread.. is that a carb?" or... "Well you can just have a bowl of rice then can't you?" or even... "At least you can still eat chocolate".

We're uneducated in the food we eat. And what happens to it inside our bodies and how it effects us.

GI level is a very important factor to consider when discussing sugar counts and possibly should be discussed everytime a list like this springs up... or else it doesn't mean too much.

EDIT: The pasta sauce has processed sugar in which is an evil killer! But it also has fibre in the form of vegetables which help notify the body when to stop eating and also carry sugar through the intestines without it all going into the body.

edit on 16-3-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a candy bar

All the more reason I make my own.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join