It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicca. What are you thoughts? what is it and where did it come from? Do you agree?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I am simply asking this question because it has come up a few times in the past couple of days and opinions are divided.

I am not offereing an informative post on what I think it is or is not but asking you what you think it is.

What your opinion is?

Where does it come from/ Does it have a place in modern society.

What have you heard about witches?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
From what i understand, which is not a lot, Wiccans embrace nature and spirituality. Herbal medicine, loving nature and stuff like that.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
From what i understand, which is not a lot, Wiccans embrace nature and spirituality. Herbal medicine, loving nature and stuff like that.

That's a good start, thank you for admitting you do not know much about it.

that's the best way to start.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Witchcraft, casting spells & curses & whatnot?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
Witchcraft, casting spells & curses & whatnot?

Thats the one!

Is that all you know?

There must be something more?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

How do you explain the wind, earth, fire, and air? The sun and moon in all it's phases? To be Wiccan is not to be a witch; it is to understand and respect nature in its beauty. To live in duality of all. To not cause harm to anyone. To live by the Triple Crede.

A beautiful practice of solitary or not, at your choice.

There is much to learn to those who hear the call.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Not really...I think they get upset when you start trying to put them in the same category as satanists...
I think they much prefer to be thought of as "druidic, paganistic, etc."

Sorry - don't really know a whole lot from personal experience about it...there was that one chick in highschool but I think she just liked the attention.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

A very good start!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

How do you explain the wind, earth, fire, and air? The sun and moon in all it's phases? To be Wiccan is not to be a witch; it is to understand and respect nature in its beauty. To live in duality of all. To not cause harm to anyone. To live by the Triple Crede.

A beautiful practice of solitary or not, at your choice.

There is much to learn to those who hear the call.

this is why I asked, there seemed to be a lot of confusion as to what it was.

I was interested to find out what peoples views were.

May I ask if you are Wiccan or just one that understands it?

edit on 15/3/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc

Not really...I think they get upset when you start trying to put them in the same category as satanists...
I think they much prefer to be thought of as "druidic, paganistic, etc."

Sorry - don't really know a whole lot from personal experience about it...there was that one chick in highschool but I think she just liked the attention.

No need to appologise but yes I agree I imagine putting Wiccans in the same catagory as satanists would cause offense.

Thats why I asked, I was looking for what other peoples perception was as opposed to a wikipedia link so thank you very much.

Very informative!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The ideas and concepts are thousands of years old - nature worship, nature kindness, active wishing, mysterious symbols and objects, etc. The modern day version may be named something different, but mostly pagan practices which are close to nature and respect the earth, its seasons, and all of its inhabitants.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
The ideas and concepts are thousands of years old - nature worship, nature kindness, active wishing, mysterious symbols and objects, etc. The modern day version may be named something different, but mostly pagan practices which are close to nature and respect the earth, its seasons, and all of its inhabitants.

Do you have any links to that please?

Very much appriciated.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
There may be confusion because not even all Wiccans or witches agree with what they are, they are not unified, and there are a variety of beliefs. They are basically pagans, and not even all pagans agree with each other with what they believe.

From the Wiccans I've had conversation with, there are a few who do not understand who is actually behind their occult beliefs, and may not even believe in God or Satan.

But there are definitely ones who do know Satan and his demons are real and use their power.

I personally know of a Wiccan who knew the names of many demons and would converse with them, and learned to know their personalities and their differences. He had supernatural abilities, of course not do to his own power. But even he was fooled by those spirits that gave him power. And when he tried to break free they harassed him very harshly.

But as was mentioned, there are people who just think that it is a free-loving way of worship of nature. They are all of them deceived. The ones who know everything about it can only have apostatized from the truth. Because they will not be taught the truth, no matter how much they think they may know.
edit on 15-3-2015 by iNobody because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

I am a 7th daughter of a 7th daughter, pure Irish in heritage, and born hereditary. Wicca is the knowledge of the "wise".

Ok, now that I've gotten all Hollywoodish on this subject, yes, I was born Wiccan and married to a good, Catholic boy!! I am what is said above. I live by this rule: what comes from this life is earned by the purity of the soul.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

No links, just my own words. I know that the date of wiccan's inception has been discussed in another thread, and you can point to recent people like Gerald Gardner and Sybil Leek and others for a newly-emerged (1940s, 1950s) version, but the concepts are so much older that I bet cave women and men were playing with some of them while looking at the night sky (which was their only outside-the-cave entertainment, likely complete with herbs, music, and chanting).

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: iNobody
There may be confusion because not even all Wiccans or witches agree with what they are, they are not unified, and there are a variety of beliefs. They are basically pagans, and not even all pagans agree with each other with what they believe.

From the Wiccans I've had conversation with, there are a few who do not understand who is actually behind their occult beliefs, and may not even believe in God or Satan.

But there are definitely ones who do know Satan and his demons are real and use their power.

I personally know of a Wiccan who knew the names of many demons and would converse with them, and learned to know their personalities and their differences. He had supernatural abilities, of course not do to his own power. But even he was fooled by those spirits that gave him power. And when he tried to break free they harassed him very harshly.

But as was mentioned, there are people who just think that it is a free-loving way of worship of nature. They are all of them deceived. The ones who know everything about it can only have apostatized from the truth. Because they will not be taught the truth, no matter how much they think they may know.

So I assume you are christian then?

I only ask because you said early on that many of them " may not even believe in God or Satan"

You have to understand why I bring this up I hope but I respect your input and your interpretation of Wiccans.

I look forward to your reply.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: iNobody

Absolutely true and yet false. Again, duality at its finest!

People play with their evils and wrong the Wiccan beliefs. Pagans?? Hmmmm, I am familiar with this term but must admit, I am not Pagan, tho I know many.

Are Catholics Christians??
Are Christians Catholic??

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: iNobody

Absolutely true and yet false. Again, duality at its finest!

People play with their evils and wrong the Wiccan beliefs. Pagans?? Hmmmm, I am familiar with this term but must admit, I am not Pagan, tho I know many.

Are Catholics Christians??
Are Christians Catholic??

Hi there what do you mean by "People play with their evils and wrong the Wiccan beliefs" are you saying you are happy for them to be Wiccan's or unhappy.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

While based on much older pagan traditions, Wicca as we currently know it is a 20th century creation. It's primarily a duotheistic theology(the divine feminine and the divine masculine) but there is no universal or central tenet. It is just as varied in its interpretations as the Abrahamic traditions and like the Abrahamic faiths, the various Wiccan "groups" do share some commonalities in that they view the earth and the entire cosmos as parts of a whole.

Despite the common belief and assertion, not all Wiccans believe in or use magic and some believe that magic is simply the laws of nature at work, an aspect of nature not yet understood by science.

I think Wicca has just as rightful a place in modern society as any other faith or belief system that doesn't go out of their way to cause harm or use the faith for selfish gain.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Don't forget the sun and moon! They are as important as the Earth herself.

Bright Blessings, Blessed Be, Merry Meet, Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again...all Wiccan greetings. Scary sounding, huh???

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join