It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission Flying in Formation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Despite the risk that I'll be accused of stealing this footage from someone else I think it's just too cool and I have to share it.

I tracked the newly launched satellites last night as they headed up to apogee together. You can even tell they're getting farther away just by how the formation appears to shrink. I was hoping to go until dawn but my telescope power supply gave out before the sun came up.

Tracked with an LX200 Classic and Brent Boshart's satellite tracker software. Imaged with an SBIG ST-2000XCM and Orion ST-80 riding piggyback.
edit on 15-3-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Nice footage. I really need to get me a decent telescope. *sigh*
edit on 3/15/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

This is very cool!! Awesome job of capturing this event!!
Syx.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
So, they send this up right about the same time they power up CERN?

Interesting.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Signals

Interesting.

Why would that be interesting? The two are in no way related.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Not the first time they've powered up the LHC, nor do I see any means for a connection there. Also, the MMS satellites won't even be out of their commissioning phase for months yet. You can see in my video that they haven't taken in their tetrahedral formation, they're just travelling all in the same plane at the moment.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Interesting.

This mission was first proposed 10 years ago, and it's taken 10 years to go through design, development, building, testing, and launch (which is a normal amount of time for some spacecraft mission).

So unless they somehow knew 10 years ago that the LHC would have been ready to restart in March 2015 after going through its most recent upgrade, then I don't see how the two could be related.

edit on 3/15/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

Interesting.

Why would that be interesting? The two are in no way related.

I just renewed my car tag, too. Coincidence? I think NOT!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Really cool footage. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Your video has that sci-fi atmosphere, especially with that music. It's like watching four spaceships zoom across space on some expedition.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
It's like watching four spaceships zoom across space on some expedition.

Well, that's kind of what it is...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I watched in the embedded ATS frame at standard resultion and didn't see them, then I watched full screen at 1080 and they were crystal clear...nice photography! Thanks for sharing.

Don't let Jose Escamilla get his hands on this video or it will be in his next DVD about "rods in space".

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
I watched in the embedded ATS frame at standard resultion and didn't see them, then I watched full screen at 1080 and they were crystal clear...nice photography! Thanks for sharing.

Don't let Jose Escamilla get his hands on this video or it will be in his next DVD about "rods in space".

Yeah, I should have put a disclaimer in there. The satellites are tiny and the resolution of the image is quite large. Funny thing is that if anyone were to grab the footage and claim the other satellites were UFOs, I'd be the one accused of stealing the footage when I counter it. That's how it went for me during the ISON days anyway. YouTube's copyright and content detection system is designed to protect big business, but the little guy just gets screwed.

new topics

top topics

join