It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD denies edits to Eric Garner/Sean Bell Wikipedia were made at police HQ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Wikipedia edits related to the deaths of Eric Garner and Sean Bell at the hands of the NYPD
were among a host of entries traced to the IP addresses at police headquarters.

One user from the IP address at 1 Police Plaza New York, tried to delete the entry titled "Sean Bell shooting incident" 5 months after the 3 unarmed were shot a total of 50 times by officers the morning of Bell's wedding. The user argued in Wikipedia articles for deletion page that:

"Bell was in the news for about two months, and now no one except Al Sharpton cares anymore"
"The police shoot people everyday, and times with a lot more than 50 bullets. This incident is more news than notable"

On Garner:

"Garner raised both arms in the air" became
"Garner flailed his arms about as he spoke"

"Use of the chokehold has been prohibited " became
"Use of the chokehold is legal, but has been prohibited"

There was also a line added
" Garner, who was considerably larger than any of the officers, continued to struggle with them"

NYPD denies edits

These are the tactics police use everyday in their reports to shied themselves in real court..
But why would they wade into the court of public opinion?
Who else would do this except the officers involved?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I thought that there were several IP addresses confirmed as NYPD's as per the previous thread?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

From the source article: "These incidents did not originate from computers located at Police Headquarters," spokesman Stephen Davis said. "We are conducting an internal investigation to identify what member of the service may have accessed the department's server."

Not sure what they are getting at by saying this, as I am a basic computer user. Anyone able to translate this? Or is it basically the run around?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
I thought that there were several IP addresses confirmed as NYPD's as per the previous thread?

Correct.

In the link provided, the last words of the article are "Google document" click there..
Capitol New York provides the full list of Wikipedia edits linked to NYPD IP addresseS.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Maybe this is a clever ruse.

How we know somebody didn't use the 1PP servers as a proxy?

The whole thing might be a set-up.

NSA, Whitehouse engaged in a smear campaign?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: smurfy

From the source article: "These incidents did not originate from computers located at Police Headquarters," spokesman Stephen Davis said. "We are conducting an internal investigation to identify what member of the service may have accessed the department's server."

Not sure what they are getting at by saying this, as I am a basic computer user. Anyone able to translate this? Or is it basically the run around?

I guess they're investigating if a "member of the service" accessed the server from home? Not sure..
But the claim is these edits have came from many computers in the building. Over years.

For instance the Bell case edits were made in 2007 . Garner 2014

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighFive

originally posted by: smurfy

Correct.

In the link provided, the last words of the article are "Google document" click there..
Capitol New York provides the full list of Wikipedia edits linked to NYPD IP addresseS.

Right,
So what they are saying is that it could still be a staffer operating from elsewhere...very sus idea, unless they can finger someone who works there but wasn't at work
..if they can't, then it was someone who works and who was at work

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Maybe this is a clever ruse.

How we know somebody didn't use the 1PP servers as a proxy?

The whole thing might be a set-up.

NSA, Whitehouse engaged in a smear campaign?

The police chief seems to be leaving that possibility on the table.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
to many police officers have no dignity, And have no humiliation.

Unno i think they dislike the term public servant because there is humility in such a statement.

if you ever wanna egg on a police officer just repeatedly say public servant. Police have to have humility and cannot have pride that would be damaged by Humility. Because police have to be the most level headed people in society.

They are in the same class as firefighters.
I'm sure a firefighter could easily deck out a person screaming in a burning building. Fire fighters could lump a person out if they really wanted to it murder but they generally don't. They know their job is saving people, Not dragging out corpses.

If only police officers felt the same way. Because they too are meant to save people in totally different situations besides that of a firefighter. They are also agents of the law, Which makes their job even more complicated.

The fact there are officers out there who only become officers to take advantage of others is pretty screwed up to begin with. It stains the thousands of other cops who are doing their job appropriately and are constantly having to humiliate themselves because of the mistakes of some wannabe cops.

I hope who ever did that wiki switch during work hours is fired because i would be fired from any job if i messed with a wiki page.

Kids used to mess with wiki at schools and that had some problems. Now pretty sure that schools ban wiki logins so edits are not even possible at schools anymore.

It's funny how people downplay the validity of Wiki, But editing BS into wiki is an offense punishable by court as it has been seen to of happened several times already. Yeah laugh it up, but wiki is serious bizniz.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: HighFive

Who else would do it but the officers involved? Any and all cops because they are all corrupt (unless they are prior to being fired).

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

I don't think you can get into trouble for editing a wiki article. Maybe, MAYBE, if you agree to terms of service about not defacing a page or intentionally misleading, but they would have to prove your edita untrue which wouldnt work with slight edits of wording. They'd have to prove what yoy did was intentional and that's only if they even can do anything via a TOS agreement (not sure they can - more likely ban you from edits).

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr

The fact there are officers out there who only become officers to take advantage of others is pretty screwed up to begin with.

Because all cops are just sadists. Even if they were, how would abusing a citizen further a Police Officers standing in life?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: AnuTyr

I don't think you can get into trouble for editing a wiki article. Maybe, MAYBE, if you agree to terms of service about not defacing a page or intentionally misleading, but they would have to prove your edita untrue which wouldnt work with slight edits of wording. They'd have to prove what yoy did was intentional and that's only if they even can do anything via a TOS agreement (not sure they can - more likely ban you from edits).

I don't know why each time a new development arises, someone else makes yet another thread. This is like the fifth one.

Misleading is a point of view, I said it in the other threads and I will say it here: All whoever did this did was alter the wording of the articles, nothing more. They did not post lies, and it's only misleading if you believe the Liberal point of view that cops are racist thugs of the government.

An example of this is the chokehold edit:

The original account of it states that use of the chokehold is prohibited, this is true, but there were many trying to claim that use of the chokehold was ILLEGAL, which it is NOT. The edit clarified that.

The same thing with the Eric Garner raising his hands. I've watched the videos, Garner was doing a whole heck of a lot more than raising his hands. Flail might be a strong word, but it is much closer to what actually happened which was him forcefully pulling his hands away from the Police when they went in to detain him.

Eric Garner was much bigger than any of the officers as well. The guy was 400 pounds and the Police were obligated to detain him. Now, if you were at your job and told that you had better reach the end result of a task you are assigned however you need to do it, or else be fired, you would use any help you can get. In Police cases, this typically means having several officers on the scene to assist in an arrest that is as non-damaging to the suspects as possible, regardless of how hard they are fighting. Liberals tend to think that a Police officer gets a little physical training in restraining techniques and take downs, supposed ways to De-escalate situations based on what some suit and tie thinks is the best way, etc. that they are fully equipped to deal with any threat on the street. That is not the case. Police are not trained in efficient techniques, they are trained in techniques that are not going to piss the public off as much as if others were used (IE blatantly punching a suspect). This doesn't take into account running into people who have experience being arrested and are familiar with Police techniques, sheer physical sizes of some people versus cops (especially female cops). It also doesn't take into account people who are on drugs that make them impervious to pain or extremely volatile, etc.

top topics

join