It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature, Man and Woman: Alan Watts, copyright 1958

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Right? Me, too!

That's why I bring it back up now.
There are many of us who had fleeting exposure to Alan Watts - but then were swept back up into the "Western" way of things. It deserves revisiting.

Yes, and unfortunately the western way of never-ending consumerism is taking over the east as well. Scientific-materialism has become the most dominant world 'religion'.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bb23108

Yes, and unfortunately the western way of never-ending consumerism is taking over the east as well. Scientific-materialism has become the most dominant world 'religion'.

I despise consumerism. I actively boycott it - I reuse, recycle, upcycle, make do......

But I still believe in the mission of science.
Yes, much spirituality has been lost to "science" (materialistic - as in no paranormal considered), as well as consumerism.

Modern Organized Religion makes me literally sick to my stomach. The lack of education in higher-thinking ideas and 'critical thinking' also bothers me a great deal.

What happened to "Liberal Arts"? To having to finish two years in undergrad taking prerequisite courses in EVERY discipline before we could even declare a major? They just skip right over that stuff now. It worries me, in a big big way.

Thanks for your participation.
Believe it or not, I was just offline to apply for an 'internship' in DC for my Republican Congressman -
I doubt seriously that I will get a response, but I stated my case.
I have a Masters Degree in Social Work, and I owe 'student debt'. I have 40 years of work experience in every field from psychotherapy to retail to hospitality to customer service and case management. I am bilingual in Spanish. I have been unable to get a call-back, let alone an interview - for any of the myriad jobs I've applied to. (And yes, I change my resume for every application.)

This country is a wreck. Capitalism (materialism/consumerism) has ruined it. Partisan bickering and obstructionism is beyond belief.

le sigh

I'm trying, though - I really am. I'm trying to contribute.

edit on 3/16/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

le sigh

I'm trying, though - I really am. I'm trying to contribute.

Don't forget to have fun while you're at it... this is very important.

I like your thread, I know who Alan Watts is surely...

S&F ya long ago

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AinElohim

Don't forget to have fun while you're at it... this is very important.

OH yeah. Yes, it is the primary thing.

Every day is a new opportunity to live, laugh, love. Enjoy, savor, embrace. Learn. Think. Reflect. Pet your cat. Kiss your loved ones.
LAUGHING is the best, though - just the best.

and they wonder why people purchase spirit-uplifting substances

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Every day is a new opportunity to live, laugh, love. Enjoy, savor, embrace. Learn. Think. Reflect. Pet your cat. Kiss your loved ones.
LAUGHING is the best, though - just the best

That's what it's all about, in fact I don't think there is any other secret

Sh*ts funny ya know! it gotta be... or you have to make it on your own.

This country is a wreck. Capitalism (materialism/consumerism) has ruined it. Partisan bickering and obstructionism is beyond belief.

Then vote for Ben Carson

This man is a "moral" leader, and what a President needs to be, while Obama is all about hate and divisions which is really uncool. We have politicians for the bureaucracy stuff already.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

BOOOO!!

No. No way.

Are you serious? You can't be serious. That guy is a disgrace to humanity.

You are all over the map on these boards. And although I've tried, I really can't make sense of some of your stuff. It's bizarre. To me.

You are being facetious and trollishly sarcastic, right?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

a reply to: metalholic

This is interesting.

I believe you are talking in the general sense of "you" though, right? Like they say, "One might think...." instead of "You might think..."
Not to me specifically?

Well if my gut instinct is right then you have translated the message correctly. Which I see no interest in since that is infact how that was suppose dot be taken.

However though the general consensus of this web site likes to take everything someone says depending on intel level and how much anal kissin they do and act like it's an inverted conversation.

So all in all yes one might think.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Is there something I can help you with?

Sorry - your posts are word-salad to me. But, thanks for chiming in all the same.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Thank You!

it was beyond you!
edit on 16-3-2015 by metalholic because: POOP

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

You are all over the map on these boards

I am in two sections on the board... this section and the music section.

I have stepped in the politics section a tip toe.

God Bless Ben Carson!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

PS;

I can be wherever I want to be... this is a free nation and free internet society.

I am into everything just about in the sections I am prevalent in...

Do you have a problem with that?

I took my flag back... I am getting that snobby progressive vibe in this thread.
edit on 16-3-2015 by AinElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

You asked to know my thoughts. I think Alan watt has a beautiful choice of diction. I also think he is very intelligent.

The idea that we are all connected doesn't seem hard to me. The difference I see between our views is that you believe we are all already connected. I observe a disconnect from the world. You see as I look back on the short life I have lived i realize as I grow and experience more the more I notice how wrong everything is here. Not necessarily that people are doing horrendous things, but everything seems wrong to me. I feel a presence around the air that seems foreign.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Ooo! ouch (not). Have your flag. I don't care about it.

Just was asking a question which you are apparently too juvenile, or too worried, to answer.

Makes no difference to me. Take your star, too. I am over it. Nice chatting with you. If you have anything worthwhile to say or add later, please do let me know.

Fare well.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

The difference I see between our views is that you believe we are all already connected.

Yes, I do - and I think that has been the case for however many billions of 'years' the universe has existed. We are all connected. Period. There is no "before" or "after" or "since" or "already" about it.

It is what it is. We are all connected.

I observe a disconnect from the world.

Perhaps that is because you choose to see it that way.

as I look back on the short life I have lived i realize as I grow and experience more the more I notice how wrong everything is here.

And you are very observant to see that!

Not necessarily that people are doing horrendous things,

But they are.

but everything seems wrong to me. I feel a presence around the air that seems foreign.

As do all of us who have a spiritual nature.

It's all shades of 'wrong' what is going on in this world when people are being starved, exiled, bombed, oppressed.

"No one is free when others are oppressed."

Welcome to real life. Your 'bible-guy' isn't coming back to fix it, friend. We only have ourselves....our small fractal of the divine. ..... and if we refuse to act on it (Like Jesus said: we can do everything that he did and more) then we are to blame for the consequences.

I am SICK and TIRED of what the world is. But - it is what it is. This is why I keep 'harping' on the idea that we are all connected...that without all of us trying and focusing and working together, it isn't going to happen EVER. There will be no 'four horsemen', no 'returning from the clouds', no 'rapture.'

We have to make it happen OURSELVES.
And that takes hand-shakes, and decisions to cooperate; to make things better not just for the rich and comfortable, but EVERYONE.

"My job is to comfort the disturbed, and disturb the comfortable."

Free-thinker. And I vote.

Take care.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

LOL!!!
It was nonsense.
Shove off.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The official document will always say that you understood and thought it was interesting.

Now your looking bi-polar.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: metalholic

The official document will always say that you understood and thought it was interesting.

Now your looking bi-polar.

the cure!

and a little bit of laughter and joy never hurt no one...

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

People can't take their own medicine it's a sign that they do not remember or comprehend their own activities that cause and effect those around them.

They are a storm that has no consciousness of it's own destructive path.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: metalholic

People can't take their own medicine it's a sign that they do not remember or comprehend their own activities that cause and effect those around them.

They are a storm that has no consciousness of it's own destructive path.

it's all good...

that's just the way of the world...

dictators & democrats, individualist & collectivist

I don't know if you've ever noticed but politics are screwy now a days, people who call themselves democrats are in all actuality soft dictators. You are not allowed to view the world through any other lens but the one they offer.
edit on 16-3-2015 by AinElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

He hoped for change, but he preferred amiable, semi-isolated rural social enclaves, and also believed in tolerance for social misfits and eccentric artists

Alan Watts (Progressive Briton)

Elitist/Progressives/Liberals/New-Left/calls themselves "Democrats" in USA

are all the same thing... I can smell them a mile away!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join