It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new FULLY transparent Solar Window

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Prior solar windows had a 70% transparency..This is 100% and a HUGE step in getting off the Grid.
From Extreme Tech

Researchers at Michigan State University have created a fully transparent solar concentrator, which could turn any window or sheet of glass (like your smartphone’s screen) into a photovoltaic solar cell. Unlike other “transparent” solar cells that we’ve reported on in the past, this one really is transparent, as you can see in the photos throughout this story. According to Richard Lunt, who led the research, the team are confident that the transparent solar panels can be efficiently deployed in a wide range of settings, from “tall buildings with lots of windows or any kind of mobile device that demands high aesthetic quality like a phone or e-reader.”

Scientifically, a transparent solar panel is something of an oxymoron. Solar cells, specifically the photovoltaic kind, make energy by absorbing photons (sunlight) and converting them into electrons (electricity). If a material is transparent, however, by definition it means that all of the light passes through the medium to strike the back of your eye. This is why previous transparent solar cells have actually only been partially transparent — and, to add insult to injury, they usually they cast a colorful shadow too.

The organic salts absorb UV and infrared, and emit infrared — processes that occur outside of the visible spectrum, so that it appears transparent.

To get around this limitation, the Michigan State researchers use a slightly different technique for gathering sunlight. Instead of trying to create a transparent photovoltaic cell (which is nigh impossible), they use a transparent luminescent solar concentrator (TLSC). The TLSC consists of organic salts that absorb specific non-visible wavelengths of ultraviolet and infrared light, which they then luminesce (glow) as another wavelength of infrared light (also non-visible). This emitted infrared light is guided to the edge of plastic, where thin strips of conventional photovoltaic solar cell convert it into electricity. [Research paper: DOI: 10.1002/adom.201400103 - "Near-Infrared Harvesting Transparent Luminescent Solar Concentrators"]

If you look closely, you can see a couple of black strips along the edges of plastic block. Otherwise, though, the active organic material — and thus the bulk of the solar panel — is highly transparent. (Read: Solar singlet fission bends the laws of physics to boost solar power efficiency by 30%.)

Michigan’s TLSC currently has an efficiency of around 1%, but they think 5% should be possible. Non-transparent luminescent concentrators (which bathe the room in colorful light) max out at around 7%. On their own these aren’t huge figures, but on a larger scale — every window in a house or office block — the numbers quickly add up. Likewise, while we’re probably not talking about a technology that can keep your smartphone or tablet running indefinitely, replacing your device’s display with a TLSC could net you a few more minutes or hours of usage on a single battery charge.

The researchers are confident that the technology can be scaled all the way from large industrial and commercial applications, down to consumer devices, while remaining “affordable.” So far, one of the larger barriers to large-scale adoption of solar power is the intrusive and ugly nature of solar panels — obviously, if we can produce large amounts of solar power from sheets of glass and plastic that look like normal sheets of glass and plastic, then that would be big.

This is what we have been waiting for ..NOW to find a way to market them and give the power companies something to sweat over..I really LOVE this tech! Just Imagine the ways this can be used!

edit on 3/15/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

No need to really market a product that sells itself.
We'll get to that part later.

Just curious, are there any videos showing a prototype window in place available? Readouts of energy production from a single panel while in use?

Something showing how the light diffuses indoors?

All important data points when introducing new innovations.

Not trying to be the buzz kill.
The average investor wants more than just fancy words.
Product "in action" and proof of concept is a better sell for most folks.

Marketers can always fancy the big sell up later.
You gotta run it through the skeptics first.

Hope this one is legit because this kind of thing is right up my alley.

Looking forward to updates!

edit on 3/15/15 by GENERAL EYES because: minor formatting

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

No need to really market a product that sells itself.
We'll get to that part later.

Just curious, are there any videos showing a prototype window in place available? Readouts of energy production from a single panel while in use? Something showing how the light diffuses indoors and so forth? These are all important data point when introducing new innovations.

The average investor needs more than just fancy words.
Product "in action" and proof of concept is a better sell for most folks.

Marketers can always fancy the big sell up later.
You gotta run it through the skeptics first.

Hope this one is legit - because this kind of thing is right up my alley.

Looking forward to updates!

So far the only Video is on YT crappy pics and robo voices ..
I agree it will sell itself..ONCE TPTB decide its their next move..

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
If this is publicized....car windows, windshields, etc., to power electric cars? The huge windows in markets can be solarized. Etc. Etc.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I hear ya.

If I had the connections I'd hook the AV Club for a proper proof of concept video. Bad videos can totally kill a wonderful idea.

Sadly, my hands are tied.
Hope this one takes off....I'm been waiting for the solar revolution.

edit on 3/15/15 by GENERAL EYES because: damned formatting

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The question is, will 1% efficiency be economically viable? I suspect probably not. If they get it to 5% as they say they think they can, maybe.

It's interesting tech so thanks for posting it, but you should really figure out what those icons are for above the area where you write your post, especially the cloud icon which says "insert content from an external source".

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Will landlords and building owners be willing to pay for these windows? It doesn't benefit them to buy better windows for tenants to have free electricity. Hopefully these windows do become the common, then we won't have to worry about electric companies and there will be less polution.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
The question is, will 1% efficiency be economically viable? I suspect probably not. If they get it to 5% as they say they think they can, maybe.

It's interesting tech so thanks for posting it, but you should really figure out what those icons are for above the area where you write your post, especially the cloud icon which says "insert content from an external source".

Thank for the input...I have authored many of my threads with that..I decided to use the bold and emphasise this..sorry if it bothers you...I always give credit and a link.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Where in the OP did you state that bolded material is from an external source? You didn't. Neoholographic is a worse offender than you because he uses bold for an external source in one part of his post, then uses bold for emphasis of something he wrote in another part of his post, and it becomes difficult or impossible to tell what he's emphasizing and what is from an external source. There is no need to create such confusion when ATS has made tools readily available to avoid it.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
Where in the OP did you state that bolded material is from an external source? You didn't. Neoholographic is a worse offender than you because he uses bold for an external source in one part of his post, then uses bold for emphasis of something he wrote in another part of his post, and it becomes difficult or impossible to tell what he's emphasizing and what is from an external source. There is no need to create such confusion when ATS has made tools readily available to avoid it.

Point taken..I guess I assume people will check the link provided to stave off any confusion...

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
Will landlords and building owners be willing to pay for these windows? It doesn't benefit them to buy better windows for tenants to have free electricity. Hopefully these windows do become the common, then we won't have to worry about electric companies and there will be less polution.
Prob not till the price drops ...I see a way to raise the rent ala free electric...maybe? But for home owners it will be a given!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Michigan’s TLSC currently has an efficiency of around 1%, but they think 5% should be possible. Non-transparent luminescent concentrators (which bathe the room in colorful light) max out at around 7%.

One of the reasons for the low efficiency of converting light to electricity is the suns heat, the more direct the sunlight the more heat, the less electricity generated , or something like that.

If the photo voltaic converters are around the edge of the glass "pane" that would be more efficient, but give less area to collect from. Window panes are vertically placed and don't generally track the sun. The more they do the more the suns heat enters the building, the more energy is used to cool the building.

hmmm…

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
What will cost more and be more energy efficient - Having a set of solar windows?
- Having double or triple glazing?
- Having conventional solar panels?

I wouldn't expect this to be a viable product really - why have car windscreens or the windows of houses or the screens of smartphones have this solar glass when it'd be cheaper, easier and more effective to use conventional solar panels.

You could put solar panels on the backs of phones if you wanted and you could put solar panels on the roofs of cars of you wished.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Love that Extreme Tech site. Always something amazing to read there. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

You need to rethink those comments. If I can rent you a place that has cheaper utilities than the next place that is a marketing plus. Such windows would help provide a more evenly, yearly curve on the utility costs of HV/AC than standard systems. That would appeal to renters, home and business owners alike.

edit on 15-3-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Perhaps make it so all new public buildings should have these windows installed and perhaps all existing public buildings retrofitted to lower local authority costs and/or generate income.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AliensunYou need to rethink those comments. If I can rent you a place that has cheaper utilities than the next place that is a marketing plus. Such windows would help provide a more evenly, yearly curve on the utility costs of HV/AC than standard systems. That would appeal to renters, home and business owners alike.

I disagree. More efficient solar panels than these have been available for years. I don't see landlords making any effort to install them.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I bet if they made solar panels like stained glass panels they would look great and the different color chemistry could make intake of energy under varying conditions more balanced.

Stain glass windows are expensive to begin with so having one that has a secondary purpose would at least pay something back. I would bet that utilizing cut glass style would also be a good idea. The beveling of the glass makes it better at a variety of sun angles.

So will this new glass stop the partridge from smashing through my window into the computer room? I thought it was expensive changing a regular sash and storm window.

top topics

join