It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Top Five Album Closers

page: 1

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:12 AM
I've got TMS(That Metal Show) paused at the moment but they raised a interesting "list" question I thought might be fun to pose to all of ATS. Top 5 album closers.

I wanted to throw The Trial from Floyd in the list, but can't, since Outside the Wall technically is the last track so no deal on that one. That's the only caveat, if it ain't the last track, it don't make the list. Even if it's the climax of the album.

So far, I have, in no order yet as I just started this thought process and have yet to reach five(I so want to throw in a MOnty python joke but the numbers don't match - bummer)

Queensryche - I Will Remember - Rage For Order

The trilogy at the end of RFO is one of the most amazing sequences on any album I've ever heard. London/Screaming in Digital/I Will Remember give me chills just thinking about it. IWR was Silent Lucidity, before Silent Lucidity, and is a much better song.

Rush - The Garden - Clockwork Angel's

I like concept albums. This closer is amazing in how the mood sets just the right tone to end this concept album. All the other tunes(besides the throw-away BU2B2 are rockers) and this is just the right mood for the musical feel of the album and a great lyrical finale.

Yeah yeah,so bloody what, it's my list and I'm a Rush geek. Deal with it. There may be more.

Spock's Beard - The Great Nothing - V

One note timeless, came out of nowhere
It wailed like the wind, and night
It sought no glory
It added no meaning
Not even a reason why

That's just the beginning. Clocking in at a measly 27 or so minutes it's the denouement of the album and a rather fine one at that.

Dream Theater - In The Name Of God - Train of Thought

It just works. And it rocks, albeit you have to be able to slog through fifteen minutes of it. I do have a affinity for long tunes and the last two are just that, obviously.

RIGHT! I'm at four, and this list(where's that bloody trademark symbol at) is subject to change at the whim of the OP. Crikey, there are lots of albums out there and I've only scanned about half of what I have. Kansas - Magnum Opus is a contender along with Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner(Up The Irons!!!) and, and....... and

I don't know. Let's see what those putzes on TMS say.

Crap. Trunk got me with Hallowed Be Thy Name. Having played that tune it has a special memory for me. May have to addend this to top ten. Y&T Winds of change from Black Tiger is also a awesome tune and a great closer. Damn, maybe fifteen?

I really hadn't thought of this enough. Metallica, Damage, Inc., AC/DC RARANP(Back In Black). Huh.

Ozzy, Diary, even. Huh again.

I disagree with DP's Space Truckin', and I'm a huge DP fan.

The fans agreed with Hallowed.

Right, I need to think about this, I think. Bit off a LOT more than I could chew at the moment.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:24 AM
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I only have one. Adding more would diminish it.

The Beatles. A Day In The Life.

No need to name the album it's from.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:10 AM
For me it is the closing song Blackwater Park by the band Opeth off their album also named Blackwater Park...

Some interesting points about this album..
It's the first of many collaborations between Opeth and Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree fame (if you are a prog rock fan). Though they have always over the course of their 25 years as a band had progressive elements it was this album that you could really feel the change coming from metal to more 70s based prog rock which is what you hear on their current album Pale Communion.

"Blackwater Park received positive reception on its initial release, and Opeth was compared to critically acclaimed groups from previous eras. The Village Voice wrote in their review of the album, that "Opeth paint on an epic canvas, sounding at times like... metal's answer to '70s King Crimson".[17] CMJ also wrote a very positive review calling the album "Godlike....A metal fusion of Pink Floyd and the Beatles".[18] The Canadian music magazine Exclaim! wrote that the album "...might be the best metal record this year, and it is worth every bit of energy the band has put into the creating of it".[12] Eduardo Rivadavia of Allmusic wrote that the album was "a work of breathtaking creative breadth" and noted the album's critical praise stating that "not since the release of Tiamat's groundbreaking masterpiece Wildhoney in 1994 had the extreme metal scene witnessed such an overwhelming show of fan enthusiasm and uniform critical praise as that bestowed upon Blackwater Park".

Here is the album version of the song.
Of all the times I have seen them live the grooveriffheavy part that kicks in around 5:10 always gets a lot of headbanging going on. From 7:44 when Mendez starts using a lot of slap bass and Ax just goes off on the drums is another highlight.
Finally the closing from 10:30 out is just a great put your headphones and embrace the power of metal moment.

edit on 15-3-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:34 PM
a reply to: opethPA

LOL I hadn't gotten around to thinking of Opeth but BP is a great choice. I would have put up Ending Credits but for some reason it doesn't end the album. Song title aside, I do think they got that sequencing wrong as it would have closed out Damnation in a better way. At least that's the way I hear it.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:41 PM
a reply to: alldaylong

Good choice. I hadn't thought of The Beatles either. So many bands, so many albums.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:46 PM

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I only have one. Adding more would diminish it.

The Beatles. A Day In The Life.

No need to name the album it's from.

Funny that, I just popped in to say Reprise from St. Peppers.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:50 PM
Well the most nationalistic would have to be the last cut on A Night at the Opera.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:11 PM
a reply to: intrepid

That was always a track that brought the album down, for me. I don't particularly like that tune in and of itself(whatever the version) so that has something to do with it. Just not my cuppa.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:32 PM
May not quite fit the traditional metal form for you guys, but Alice in Chains "would?" just brought the album "Dirt" to a grand finale for me. Could never get that song loud enough.

Oh and another one....I see Ozzy gets a mention in here.

At the end of the Randy Rhoads tribute album, after an hour of just pure shredding greatness, Dee. A classical guitar piece dedicated to dude's mom. So Ill throw up a clip of the typical sounds of the album, and then "Dee". What a fantastic guitarist taken from us way too young.

edit on 15-3-2015 by deuceawesome because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics