It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Election: coalition fears

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The big day is just around the corner and it looks like it is going to be another hung parliament. Coalitions of who knows what are looming, and it is my greatest fear that labour and our Scottish neighbours team up (one led us into illegal wars and the other wants to break up the UK). What is your worst (or best) scenario for the up coming elections?

Please keep this thread politely discussed as politics does bring out the worst in us all . I will throw my hat in the ring and say I would like the conservative ( I think they bought us back from the brink of financial ruin, strongest economy in Europe) and maybe the Greens (let the little ones have a go ).

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
coalition?? jeez i think we've had one too many already, i certainly dont want another 'joint effort' in f*cking our country up anymore than it is.

UKIP has definately got to be the way forward surely?

doors are closed... pack your sht and fk off home!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: solentsunrise

UKIP may have the right idea with trying to install the Australian style immigration policy...but after that they have nothing, they preach about getting out of Europe but how many of there members are in there getting a big fat pay check every month. UKIP may be a party in its embryonic stage, but they need decent polices and decent representatives to push them forward.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: thepitpony

i spent half an hour writing a massive reply and just wound myself up too much! what happened to this being OUR country, stuff europe, we need out.

being part of the EU... WHY!!? how has that ever benefited us?

regardless of policies, letting this jizzbag we have now stay is one step closer to being a muslim state. hell we may aswell just make jihadi john prime minister and be done with it, its coming if it carries on this way.

i'm out of this one mr pitpony sir, its too early in the morning to p*ss myself off

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Best case scenario? In an ideal world? SNP + Plaid Cymru + Sinn Fein coalition just for fun.
And since it's an ideal world, UKIP would self-combust in an explosion of racist zeal.

But I'm a dreamer.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
And news just in!

UKIP would do a post-election deal with a potential minority Conservative government if there is an EU referendum in 2015, Nigel Farage has said.

In extracts from his memoirs in the Daily Telegraph, the UKIP leader ruled out a formal coalition, saying voters would see it as "selling out". But he said he would agree to a pact to prop up a Tory government in return for an EU referendum before Christmas.

BBC

Jesus wept.

And lololololol at 'his memoirs'.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: solentsunrise
coalition?? jeez i think we've had one too many already,

Oh, I know it's not a popular position, but I think the current coalition arrangement has worked quite well. We can all argue the toss, but the last Labour government drove the country into an economic disaster and something had to be done.

I do fear a Labour + SNP coalition, as that's just taking the piss against the English.

I have a hunch it will be Labour + Liberals, but still quite close. I think it will be suicide for Labour to team with the SNP and they know it.

Personally, I don't trust Labour , and whether people like it, or not, the Liberals have demonstrated inside influence and the ability to stabilise and temper some of the more outlandish Tory policies.

I urge people to look at the policies, and not the parties. This is a good website and the results surprised me...

voteforpolicies.org.uk...
edit on 15/3/2015 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

What is your worst (or best) scenario for the up coming elections?

Worst scenario is a Tory government propped up by Ukip , my blood runs cold.
Best scenario .... sorry but with the current bunch of no-hopers and idiots I just cant see one except for it not being a government of Tories propped up by Ukip.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I'm quite in favour of coalitions right now. It has the effect of diluting policies as has happened with the Tory/Lib Dem pact.

I think UKIP are a big nasty joke. You cannot run a country on diatribes about race and use immigrants as a scapegoat. That is the only trick Farage has in his hat; playing on the primeval fears of the public; low life in my opinion as a voter in this British Democracy.

I predict another coalition and think that Prime Minister Cameron will get another five years in office. I was traditionally a Labour voter, but there is nothing useful coming from their camp right now that will benefit our country, just more of what they did last time; no lessons learnt there.

I want us to stay in Europe, but maintain a very strong bargaining position. Prime Minister Cameron has delivered on the economy and played a strong hand in Europe. Socially, the Tories are a bit too tight, but may be that has been necessary to aid our economic recovery.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Worst scenario, the Tories in power again.

Best scenario, The Tories not in power.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

Can you at least qualify this statement? Why do you think this? Who might be better?

As it stands the Labour Party, like the Guardian newspaper, is still so obsessed with trendy minorities and extreme feminism which totally alienates the core of British voters. The whole UKIP backlash was born of this alienation after the minority positive discrimination ruthlessly conducted by Labour last time. They alienated British natives and screwed up the economy, creating a whole heap of problems that are still haunting us.

Labour also are the biggest proponents of the nanny state. They tend to be very control freakish and interfere too much. Political correctness came from their camp. Certainly don't want any more of that.

UKIP would land us in chaos.

I think the Lib Dems are going to come out of the next election very weak indeed. Their coalition performance has alienated many who voted for them last time.

I think there will be a late rallying around the two main parties for lack of a realistic alternative and I see the Tories attracting the higher number of votes. It might not be enough for a working majority, but I think they will scrape a coalition of sorts together if that happens.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Can't see the logic of having murderous scum (Sinn fein) being part of a coalition being 'fun'

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

I'm not a fan of any party, but what the Tories have done to this country in 5 years is disgusting! and I am tired of talking about it, the lies and fiddled statistics that they push and then get swallowed up by people in this country is beyond belief.

I don't want another 5 years of a government who doesn't give a crap about the average and the poorest in society, this isn't 19th century Britain anymore, but it sure as hell feels like it hasn't progressed much since then.

I dislike Labour, but i'd have them over the Conservatives everyday of the week!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I cannot think of a time we have been any more screwed for choice than this General election.

I think the most realistic worst case is going to be a SNP-Labour collation, I am Scottish but even i can say that for the rest of the UK that could turn out to be a real disaster give the SNP's track record in Westminster. I highly doubt that with our voting system that a group like UKIP or the BNP could make any significant gains.

Best case I honestly think would be a second conservative government with a majority (i cannot believe that is probably the best case).

None of the main political parties or even the fringe parties like UKIP or the Greens are offering up anything in the way of a real alternative.

I think we need a true grass roots party of the people, we need what we had in 1997 with "new labour"

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

I was half joking, but only half. Take your pick: murderers in Sinn Fein or posh-boy child abusers?

But I would welcome my imaginary coalition since they would shift the balance of power from the Anglo-centric politics we've had for centuries.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I remember 'new labour' winning the election and be living that things would indeed get better,after 2 illegal wars and the financial mismanagement (remember Gordon Brown selling our gold reserves ) and watching Blair placing his own needs before that of the country's (lying to parliament to justify attacking Iraq ) has destroyed any faith I had in Labour.

Miliband just comes across Blair wannabe awaiting his turn to dance on the world stage, even stabbing his own brother in the back to get the job. The conservatives are no angels but I think the economy is safer in there hands than any else on offer (not that any of the partys are particularly appealing). Out of the turgid mess we have as political system one day will rise a party that does care for the needs and wants of the citizens of this fair Isle. I hope

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Agreed on the conservatives being our best hope for a strong economy, but would like to see what our options are outside of Europe without being hit by the usual political restrictions for politicians who say leaving would be bad for the UK.

I remember the same sort of doom and gloom predictions being battered about when the referendum to give up the pound and join the euro was held. I do not think other European countries would turn their trade away from a country with such a strong economy whilst most of the others are struggling.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I think the liberals have burnt there bridges when they went back on there promise not to increase the financial burden on students (remember the liberal leader signing a pledge in front of the student body as a promise he would never do this). They will have lost quite a lot of votes from those who saw this as selling out there political beliefs for political power, I can honestly see the liberals loosing the vast majority of there seats as UKIP increase there's (sadly) .

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

Absolutely....

I will qualify this statement by saying this and you will know where I'm coming from....

My Mum was a nurse, my Dad was a mental health nurse, my Grandad was a nurse... I need say no more.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I will throw my hat in the ring and say I would like the conservative

I hope you " Hat " has plenty of money inside it. Your going to need it to pay for your health care if the Con's win the election.

The N.H.S. will be finished.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join