It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Individualism Is Not • Frank Chodorov

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Why would you buy something from a shady gang if you could get it from your grandma?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp
What are you talking about?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

You seem to be saying that bad guys will always be your providers of sustenance.

If you have the choice why not choose the better product from the better producer?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
You seem to be saying that bad guys will always be your providers of sustenance.

No, I said that people often form groups to gain leverage. Something as simple as group buys are an example of this. Doesn't have to include bad people but it can.

If you have the choice why not choose the better product from the better producer?

Grandma's products suck.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

But free association is perfectly legitimate, a large order on a regular basis justifies special consideration.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You are missing the point, strength in numbers is a fact and sooner or later people will make use of it and there will be more formal associations.

Then we will be right back here with "individualists" claiming that they have the answer.
edit on 22-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You are dodging my invitation to illustrate exactly what it is about the free market that you believe is impractical.

If I can formulate your statement for you I would say that you believe that people cannot cooperate without an ultimate regulatory overseer, one or more people will figure out a way to rip people off.

Please note that these are not your words and I am paraphrasing from what you have said already.

Is this an accurate assessment?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Perhaps we'd make more progress if we considered the real world examples of totally "Free Markets" in the world.

Closest I have is Somalia, should we start there?

Or, perhaps others wish to pick one ... I'm sure there are multiple examples since this is obviously the best economic system available.
edit on 21Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:44:03 -050015p092015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

You are dodging my invitation to illustrate exactly what it is about the free market that you believe is impractical.

It isn't that they are impractical, they are impossible.

If I can formulate your statement for you I would say that you believe that people cannot cooperate without an ultimate regulatory overseer, one or more people will figure out a way to rip people off.

I have already said it, markets can be manipulated even in the absence of government.

You keep pointing to government as the culprit but it really is only a tool.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Well that is just not true, the free markets exist and have existed long before any society, culture or government.

When governments, societies and cultures fall, free markets pick up the pieces and rebuild.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Perhaps we'd make more progress if we considered the real world examples of totally "Free Markets" in the world.

Closest I have is Somalia, should we start there?

Or, perhaps others wish to pick one ... I'm sure there are multiple examples since this is obviously the best economic system available.

How about your town tonight.

How many police do you have out on the beat? Is that why people aren't breaking down your door?

What do you do between the hours of 5PM and 9AM if you have a problem that your town is responsible for?

Does the world collapse on the weekend when there is virtually no operational government?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Well that is just not true, the free markets exist

Where?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Atlanta, Georgia?

Is that what you want to go with as the example of a truly Free Market?

You're making other arguments about other libertarian talking points ... let's stick to Free Market.

Show me how Atlanta, GA conforms in any way to a "Free Market."
edit on 21Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:52:18 -050015p092015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Well that is just not true, the free markets exist

Where?

Everywhere, as you pointed out yourself black markets exist in the most oppressed environments such as prisons and public schools.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Everywhere, as you pointed out yourself black markets exist in the most oppressed environments such as prisons and public schools.

But there is still hierarchy. You are not going to get on cell block D and start slinging products without paying tribute.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Atlanta, Georgia?

Is that what you want to go with as the example of a truly Free Market?

You're making other arguments about other libertarian talking points ... let's stick to Free Market.

Show me how Atlanta, GA conforms in any way to a "Free Market."

I am watching the Walking Dead and thought you were asking me if I was thinking about the show.

I am just saying that free markets always exist and the reason for attempting to thwart them is always for some political outcome that is unconcerned with the most equitable exchange between the participating parties.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

But there is still hierarchy. You are not going to get on cell block D and start slinging products without paying tribute.

Yes, to the cell block king who gets his authority from the prison manager.

You need to think outside the prison.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

It's you're example. What else is there?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Free Markets always exist ... but you can't point any national economies that are based on these principles?

How about regional economies? City economies? Neighborhood economies?

Your only examples are prisoners trading smokes and middle-schoolers trading Pokemon cards (or whatever they're trading these days)?

Wow.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

That is the evidence against their eradication which would be required by any planned system.

I want them and see them everywhere, even in the trading of benefits for sick days or dump rights between towns. States will negotiate for water rights, etc.

Competition is a mainstay of human existence and cannot be subdued.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join