It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats with this "conspiracy theory community" business?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
ATS is a community I do not argue that.

More and more often I am seeing people say "in the conspiracy theory community" or "we of the the conspiracy theory community"

Should or could be doing this or that or the other.

It's like people are trying to find order amongst chaos, I believe certain theories but that does not make me part of some clan or group?

I have no alligence or affiliation to a certain way of thinking.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's a minority with a need to feel part of a group.

Maybe it's the beer or even the upcoming supermoon, or that X2 solar flare that just hit.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I am proud to say that I want to be part of the ATS community, but not conspiracy theorist community.

I have given up on conspiracy theories in general. The whole thing has become such a phenomenon as to be an ironic paradox of sorts. I think this whole climate of conspiracy and intrigue has coincided with the advent of the internet (it is not the real world, but a digital two dimensional reflection of it in words and images). It is so vulnerable to sabotage, falsehood, narrow mindedness, hacking, criminal activity, propaganda, you name it the internet can be it. It is a right old cauldron of sorcery.

Conspiracy and intrigue are the internet and the sensationalist's natural climate. This is here to say I think. It serves the purposes of perverting reality to the gain of any clandestine action, to every kind of outlandish version: Take the example of Mr Putin: Just because he was not seen for a few days there was an utter tidal wave of varied imaginative speculation. I can not be counted in with that kind of thinking.

May be it is time for us to think of ourselves as something different. I would argue that many members on this site are not conspiracy theorists, but people who want to think around and question just about everything. It is actually very healthy and perhaps an increasingly necessary tool almost of survival in the modern world on and off line.

edit on 14-3-2015 by lonesomerimbaud because: tidy up.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Here's my conspiracy theory erm, fact. Yesterday was the worst piece of sht day I have had in a long time. And last month had a friday the 13 too which was almost a piece of sht day but not as bad as yesterday. I don't ever recall two Friday 13ths twice in a row like that. Damn yesterday was a doozie s.o.b
edit on 14-3-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

Here's my conspiracy theory erm, fact. Yesterday was the worst piece of sht day I have had in a long time. And last month had a friday the 13 too which was almost a piece of sht day but not as bad as yesterday. I don't ever recall two Friday 13ths twice in a row like that. Damn yesterday was a doozie s.o.b

I feel for you, nobody like a bad day but why did you post it here?

Maybe a good old hack in the rant forum would vent some well needed anger and make tommorow a better day.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The members of this site, who have been apart of this community in its early stage, we're self reflecting conspiracy theorist minds.

This site has changed and evolutionized since it's creation. Different views, more broad spectrum of human taste and ideas, beliefs and views.

Its less about conspiracy now, and more about alternative news outlet, as compared to mainstream media..

This site offers more in depth research then other conspiracy forums; meanwhile giving you a taste if everybody and their spectrums lol

Its become a random place of everything.

But it's main identity will always be conspiracy forums for conspiracy theorists

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
The members of this site, who have been apart of this community in its early stage, we're self reflecting conspiracy theorist minds.

This site has changed and evolutionized since it's creation. Different views, more broad spectrum of human taste and ideas, beliefs and views.

Its less about conspiracy now, and more about alternative news outlet, as compared to mainstream media..

This site offers more in depth research then other conspiracy forums; meanwhile giving you a taste if everybody and their spectrums lol

But it's main identity will always be conspiracy forums for conspiracy theorists

I agree, I spend more time BTS than not.

My point was though regarding those that think that Conspiracy therorists are somehow a group or collective like a religion, with similar set fundimental beliefs.

ATS I consider a community but to think of all members as the same? I just don't get that.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist

I assume you are a reincarnation of an older member

edit on 14/3/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

That's a possibility, though I've been alive longer then ats

I've also been a long time lurker since 911 happenings.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

I figured you had been round for more than a month.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think that determining whether such grouping is acceptable comes down to the way the term is being used. The general public, in my experience, believes the term has some negative connotation, and thus they use it as a general slur against anyone who suggests something contrary to a widespread belief. Then there are those who use the term in a descriptive manner, with no positive or negative implications. I think many on these forums would fit that description. Personally I do not care for being called a "conspiracy theorist," for various reasons. Aside from the main reason of the term being used in a negative manner, I think there is this general belief that a "conspiracy theorist" does not have a rational basis for their ideas. Such a belief is utter hogwash. In fact, some conspiracy theorists use more logic and common sense in their effort to disprove something than the "experts" do in "proving" or maintaining some official position or widespread belief.

Then there is the fact that there exists different categories of conspiracy advocates. There are those who, after analyzing the evidence or doing their own research on a particular topic, have concluded that a conspiracy seems to be more plausible than the contrary belief. Despite the fact that such a person may only accept a single conspiracy theory out of the hundreds or thousands that likely exist, somehow there are many who would still cast this person in a negative light. These types of conspiracy theorists are the logical individuals who place no stock in furthering personal beliefs or agendas, but simply want to uncover the truth; whether that truth rests in some official position or otherwise. They do not accept or believe in a conspiracy against the government because they are anti-government, or for any other illogical belief.

To save time I will skip over the nuances of belief where conspiracies are concerned, and list a final personality-type. There are those who believe in a variety of unproven things for ideological, personal, political, or other reasons, as opposed to believing them because of personal experience, logic, or proof. Personal experience counts for a lot when dealing with unproven things, but conspiracies are somewhat different considering that most people are not eyewitnesses to something that would direct their views on a particular matter. I think it is logical to question certain positions when the reasoning supporting those positions is faulty, or when there are numerous holes in the position itself. So someone who believed in numerous conspiracies based on some type of logic are in a better position than someone doing so for other reasons. Anyway, the only point I initially wanted to make is that those who push conspiracies for some personal agenda, while at the same time lacking any real factual or logical basis to support their position, are the ones who have done the most to give the term "conspiracy theorist" those negative connotations.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Hey don't look at me I'm just here for the ET's and Bigfoot.

Oh and bananas and hot sexy avatars.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I wont get into a long dissertation on what and why it is what it is.

Ill just say to me...(to me)...it just refers to those who in general believe that there is most likely alternative explanations to what we as a world-wide forum collective are spoon fed by TPTB.

We are many...and proud to say we are a generally a wary bunch who tends to question "official-stories".

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I think its just labeling.....we silly humans in the current thinking need labels almost as if it is comforting....if you think something the tv disagrees with you are a conspiracy nut,if you do not believe the 911 official story you are a truther...if you believe that reptilians have infiltrated our governments you are bat # crazy...etc etc

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: Elementalist

I figured you had been round for more than a month.

That's the new minimum length required for someone to be whatever is right before veteran.

As to the OP, when telling people about ATS, I always start first by saying a very niche forum community.

Stars & flags for everybody! Our community is better than theirs!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Herding cats.

There's not a whole heck of a lot we conspiracy theorists agree on. Hence the reason why we're conspiracy theorists, we don't trust anyone.

And look ! They even made a gathering place for us all to hang out at to share our distrusts with each other !

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Stars & flags for everybody! Our community is better than theirs!

ATS...

We are rebels.
We are anarchists.
We are legion.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Herding cats.

There's not a whole heck of a lot we conspiracy theorists agree on. Hence the reason why we're conspiracy theorists, we don't trust anyone.

And look ! They even made a gathering place for us all to hang out at to share our distrusts with each other !

Intriguing, & I laughed out loud because it's so true.

top topics

join