It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: N.C. Guard Court Martial: He Killed Iraqi Guard After Gay Sex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
In a bizzare tale at the court-martial trial of Pvt. Federico Daniel Merida, 21, the National Guardsman admitted to killing a 17-year-old Iraq guard he was stationed with near Tikrit, Iraq after they had consensual gay sex in a guard tower. Merida shot the young Iraqi 11 times with his carbine after he got angry with the youth following the sexual encounter. Merida is being held at Fort Leavenworth, after being sentenced to 25 years in prison with a dishonorable discharge, and being reduced in rank.

ap.tbo.com
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Army officials at Forward Operating Base Danger, where the court-martial was held in Iraq, had previously withheld details of the case.

Merida first told investigators the teen demanded money at gunpoint. Later, he said he killed the boy because he forced him to have sex. In a third interview, Merida said he got angry after the two had consensual sex.

Merida also pleaded guilty to two counts of giving false statements.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Abusing prisoners is one thing, but damn, this takes the cake! I can't see what might have upset this man so much as to shoot the poor Iraqi guard 11 times. He was stationed with him- yes, that means the Iraqi was on our side. Maybe the Iraqi guard threatened to tell of the affair or something. In any case, bizzare!

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net
conflict-religion.boker.tv

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
There is something you should keep in mind. There are millions of people in the Armed Forces. The last I heard there were some eighty thousand in Iraq alone. These people have been drawn from the general population. The general population is rife with criminals and those who will at some time commit their first crime.

Homosexual activity is a crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Not only that, but the Guardsman is married with a child. Whatever induced him to engage in consensual homosexual activity with the Iraqi, clearly, after the act was committed, he experienced sufficient remorse and fear of the consequences, if his actions became public, to cause him to commit murder. In acts of rage, overkill is very common. I think this would account for the eleven rounds used to kill the Iraqi.

This is a heinous crime, but I don't think it is fair to use such aberrant events to indict the military or those who are prosecuting the war in Iraq. Personally, I think he should have been sentenced to death.

Furthermore, this case is wrongly classified as part of the "abuse crisis." This event, as disgusting as it is, is not part of any systemic problem and is an isolated event.

[edit on 04/12/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
what can one say? There are some sickos out there of every nationatlity and race.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well Grady, I hear what you are saying about the classification. However, when deciding what category to put it under, enough criteria fit the classification IMO for it to go there. It was regarding the abuse of an Iraqi, even though he was on our side, and it involved a court martial trial over abuses in Iraq. In the general sense it fits the category, but on a more analytical point, such as yours, it may not. If it will make anyone any happier, I'm sure a mod can move it to where he or she desires.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
If it will make anyone any happier, I'm sure a mod can move it to where he or she desires.

It's not important that the thread be moved, but rather, that the incident not be misunderstood as part of any systemic problem or systematic action. This was the action of one soldier, who having disgraced himself, murdered another to cover his crime and assuage his guilt. It bears a stronger resemblance to the Laci Peterson and Lori Hacking murders than to the disgraceful activities carried out at Abu Ghraib.

df1

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Furthermore, this case is wrongly classified as part of the "abuse crisis." This event, as disgusting as it is, is not part of any systemic problem and is an isolated event.

You believe consensual sex with a minor is not part of the "abuse crisis"?

Oh please give me a break. Treating Iraqi's like chattel property is not only a freaking systemic problem, it is the core of the entire abuse problem.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
You believe consensual sex with a minor is not part of the "abuse crisis"?

Oh please give me a break. Treating Iraqi's like chattel property is not only a freaking systemic problem, it is the core of the entire abuse problem.

Ok, Grady may be right on the categorization of this incident, it was not abuse but murder.

And lets not forget that a minor in our country may not be the same age consideration on other countries.

Just to make a point, our laws are not necesarily the laws of other countries also.

Each country have their own set of laws and rules.

[edit on 18-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Just so we are clear, it is illegal to kill people in most countries, including Iraq. I believe when Iraqis died in Abu Grahib that was covered under the Abuse Crisis as well...

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Just so we are clear, it is illegal to kill people in most countries, including Iraq. I believe when Iraqis died in Abu Grahib that was covered under the Abuse Crisis as well...

Really? Killing people in Iraq is illegal? Tell that to the 500,000-1,000,000 Iraqis that Saddam killed... or the 61,000 Iraqis he killed in Baghdag alone...
Tell that to all the moderate Muslims and others non-Muslims who have died by the hands of Muslim extremists even before the war started. Tell that to the women that have been killed in Iraq because they didn't want to be subjugated by Sharia law, or just because their husband or another man thought she looked at another man in an unwanted manner....

This act was barbaric, but it is a fact that in every armed forces in the world there are soldiers who are lower than dirt, and would commit crimes just like any criminal. I can't remember any bases that I have been stationed at where some soldiers didn't commit some sort of crimes almost weekly. From stealing cars, to raping women. Just because people are in the military that doesn't make them any less criminals, although the majority of our soldiers and sailors are squared away and upstanding enlistees/officers.

[edit on 18-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Really? Killing people in Iraq is illegal? Tell that to the 500,000-1,000,000 Iraqis that Saddam killed... or the 61,000 Iraqis he killed in Baghdag alone...

Uh yes, Western value dictates that murder is illegal. Last time I checked, America was partially in control of Iraq. Is there a reason you singled out my post? Are we on the same level morally as Saddam to allow this sort of thing? I don't understand what your problem with my post is.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Uh yes, Western value dictates that murder is illegal. Last time I checked, America was partially in control of Iraq. Is there a reason you singled out my post? Are we on the same level morally as Saddam to allow this sort of thing? I don't understand what your problem with my post is.

It is nothing wrong with your post, at least I understand your point of view, you are right US is in control of Iraq and our laws apply in that country under US views, but also the people in Iraq does not necesarily has to abide by the laws of the invadors.

So the way they see things may not be the same as us or the US government.

[edit on 18-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yes marg, I understand this more than you probably know. Does this mean that we shouldn't try this soldier because Iraqis say an Iraqi he must die because he engaged in gay sex? Is the answer even relevant? No, because this is a US soldier and the US has made it very clear that soldiers will only be tried by the US.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Is the answer even relevant? No, because this is a US soldier and the US has made it very clear that soldiers will only be tried by the US.

You know what, I completly forgot about that one, you are right US has make clear that only US will be the ones to tried our own, plus iraqis too.

Funny how the law works one way.

I guess the guilty soldier will get his day our courts after all.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Isnt committing a homosexual act in Iraq and most of the middle east a death sentence if caught? I know that in Iran you can get stoned for having gay sex.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

First, i didn't say we should condone what this soldier did, my point was that crimes have happened in Iraq even before we went there, and Saddam's regime actually made it quite legal for his sons and troops to kill Iraqis, which was wrong.

But your point of killing Iraqis is/was illegal in Iraq is moot, because they have/had other laws which are different from "our western values," and these laws have made it legal to kill Iraqis ever since Saddam was in power and even before that. This is what I was trying to point out. Iraq was not a happy and tranquil place before the war, crimes were/are committed by some people of every nationality, race, color, religion etc....yet because of the war in Iraq, this event will be tagged by many people as what the coalition, including the U.S., is doing over there.

This soldier will pay for the crime he commited to the full extent of the USMCJ, but unfortunately this act, just like the others that have happened before, is being painted as the norm of what our troops are doing there, which is not true.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It does not surprise me. There was another report of a US serviceman raping an 14 year old boy in Abh Gharib. Hey, you know what they say "What happens overseas; stays overseas" It seems like the US army is nothing but a horde of sexually frustrated men. One word; Nazis.

[edit on 18-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MuaddibIraq was not a happy and tranquil place before the war, crimes were/are committed by some people of every nationality, race, color, religion etc....yet because of the war in Iraq, this event will be tagged by many people as what the coalition, including the U.S., is doing over there.

Ah yes, you are right Maudibb. That wasn't a US soldier that killed the Iraqi boy. And whoever it was had every right to do so because in Iraq...HEY!...anything goes right?!

The Iraqis killED (past tense) their own legally so we can too?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
It seems like the US army is nothing but a horde of sexually frustrated men. One word; Nazis.

[edit on 18-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

What a ignorant statement you know how many thousands of people you just judged in the statement?

Big words on a internet forum I think you should try saying that to the face of a person in the US military.

Please deny ignorance dont embrace it

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Merida first told investigators the teen demanded money at gunpoint. Later, he said he killed the boy because he forced him to have sex. In a third interview, Merida said he got angry after the two had consensual sex.

I have been thinking about this and I have come to the conclusion that it is highly likely this was a case of rape. I believe he changed his story to lessen his already high prison sentence. Although consensual sex with a minor is considered rape of sorts by law, forced rape has a higher sentence. At least it has in the UK.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Kriz_4]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
dishonorable discharge, reduction in rank, and 25 years....
disgraceful...
Since the only other witness is dead of 11 gunshots, shouldn't it have been assumed to be rape?
so for rape and murder, the guy gets 25 years...

please remind me to join the army before i commit any crimes... they are more laxs than the most liberal soft hearted civil court...

the guy should die, or at least never see the light of day, anything else is wimpy at best....
ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE U.S. MILITARY SHOULD NOT BE THIS WIMPY!

new topics

top topics

join