It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C.I.A. Funds Found Their Way Into Al Qaeda Coffers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — In the spring of 2010, Afghan officials struck a deal to free an Afghan diplomat held hostage by Al Qaeda. But the price was steep — $5 million — and senior security officials were scrambling to come up with the money.

They first turned to a secret fund that the Central Intelligence Agency bankrolled with monthly cash deliveries to the presidential palace in Kabul, according to several Afghan officials involved in the episode. The Afghan government, they said, had already squirreled away about $1 million from that fund.

C.I.A. Funds Found Their Way Into Al Qaeda Coffers

“God blessed us with a good amount of money this month,” Atiyah Abd al-Rahman, the group’s general manager, wrote in a letter to Osama bin Laden in June 2010, noting that the cash would be used for weapons and other operational needs.

Bin Laden urged caution, fearing the Americans knew about the payment and had laced the cash with radiation or poison, or were tracking it. “There is a possibility — not a very strong one — that the Americans are aware of the money delivery,” he wrote back, “and that they accepted the arrangement of the payment on the basis that the money will be moving under air surveillance.”

The C.I.A.’s contribution to Qaeda’s bottom line, though, was no well-laid trap. It was just another in a long list of examples of how the United States, largely because of poor oversight and loose financial controls, has sometimes inadvertently financed the very militants it is fighting.

The official policy is no negations with terrorists but with all the money we give in foreign aid, and secretly, some can and will be used to negotiate with terrorists.

Maybe it's time we stop giving out millions and billions of dollars to foreign governments.

And the war on terrorism continues to fail.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'll try and be surprised...

''Oh my gosh!''

... did you believe me?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The official policy is no negations with terrorists but all the money we give in foreign aid, and secretly, can and will be used to negotiate with terrorists.

Was bound to happen, all the money that the United States and the West has been pumping into a country with a political system as corrupt as Afghanistan under the name of "nation-building" was always going to find its way into the hands of the terrorists. I am amazed it was only $1 million because you can bet that there will be millions more that will have found its way to terrorists through corrupt Afghani officials.

The report is quite clear that it was the Afghans that done this and not the CIA though, if other states chose to give into the demands of terrorists then that is up to them, they will have to deal with the consequences. But I think at the same time when those consequences mean dead NATO troops we should be doing more to stop this kind of thing happening.
edit on 14-3-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Again do we want to believe that our political leaders are inept and foolish and cartoonish in a way saying " Gee golly how did that happen hahah we really stepped in it there"

or are we going to come to the realization that they want these things to happen.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I just LOVE how the USA spends the money we work for,don't you?
second line

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

edit on 14-3-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Its the way of any great business...créate your own competición.

We have to remember that the US has been funding "radical islam" since Jimmy Cárter and Afganistán.

Only in the 80's it was funding the Afghans against Russia, now, 35 years later its funding "radical islam" against itself to keep the momentum of the supposed "war on terror" in motion.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Coupled with the fact we are air-dropping weapons to ISIS/ISIL, with charges that up to 75% of the weapons they are using are American, we sure are doing a bang-up job of "aiding and abetting" a terrorist regime.

www.nytimes.com...

www.globalresearch.ca...

anonhq.com...

So why keep them funded as well as armed? Does anyone believe these are just "mistakes?" To compound these allegations, we also have an Iraqi MP stating that American-Israeli military advisers have been captured in Tikrit aiding ISIS.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

So why keep them funded as well as armed? Does anyone believe these are just "mistakes?" To compound these allegations, we also have an Iraqi MP stating that American-Israeli military advisers have been captured in Tikrit aiding ISIS.

If I may be so bold.... why? Because in order to continue and finalize their plan to remain in power for ever, they require a well armed, and funded enemy.... one that persists despite the theatrical regime changes that happen to quell the masses.

We are foolish if we think mistakes like this "just happen." It wasn't a mistake...

...this world of THEIRS cannot be maintained and held BY THEM and their posterity unless we perpetually fear something that they can claim only they can stop. It is the reason for every damn bank-fueled war this planet has endured for the last three centuries.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

This ransom incident is just the tip of the iceberg.

Remember the vast amount of documents the U.S. took from the raid on OBL's compound?
Allegedly those documents contained detailed info on AQ's moneytrail and training & support.

I've heard that when European intelligence services asked to have a look at the files, which (needless to say) are of huge intelligence value for the war on terror - the CIA simply said No, and the data they eventually shared was heavily blacked out.

Now why would the CIA censor the intel about the moneytrail - gathered directly from our 'common enemy' - before sharing it with their 'allies'?
edit on 15-3-2015 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Well seeing as the CIA created, trained and funded Al Qaeda to begin with, this is hardly a surprise. But, you know, boogeymen in closets and all that.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Not surprised. Anyone who's read "Charlie Wilson's War", "Ghost Wars", or anything on the Banana Wars or "School of the Americas" would know the US ALWAYS backs extreme right-wing paramilitary groups. That was half of the point of the Cold War, the Western/Capitalist/Right Wing vs the Eastern/Communist/Left Wing. The other half was the former Imperial Powers of Western Europe & Japan (& their new American boss) trying to crush the left-wing revolutions of their indigenous populations.

That said, meh. Even though it should be common knowledge by now that Western Intelligence agencies & Wahabis are in cahoots, there won't be any repercussions. Our govts will never prosecute themselves. Even if the CIA admitted on national tv that they were the brainchild's behind ISIS, Al-Qaeda, and who knows what else, there would be no repercussions. The career intelligence & military officials involved would keep their jobs, Congressional inquiries would whitewash the entire process, and our media would change the subject. Just look at the Torture Report. People have forgotten all about it, even though the shortened version we got to see should have led to many prosecutions.

new topics

top topics

join