It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Malitious Code Hijacking Gmail Info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Over the last few months i have been playing with lots of free apps for both Windows phone and Android. I have run into more than a few instances where i noticed after installing an app, my Gmail accounts reports an incorrect password.

I have noticed this multiple times after installing apps and the problem dissipates after uninstalling the apps.

I have confirmed that it not only happens at home on my LAN but also happens when I'm mobile and install them. It happened to me the other day with a fresh install of Android.

Word of warning to you app users in the mobile world. If your Gmail account reports an invalid password after installing any app DON'T update it.

Immediately remove the most recent apps from the device and reboot it. If all else fails and it still reports a wrong password, you need to do a factory reset.

I'm going to compile a list of the apps and report them to the OS manufacturers.

On the Windows phone front, you must pay for and register a developer account and must have a registered business name. Seems like that isn't stopping people from phishing for passwords anyway.

If any of you have had a similar experience please share here. App name OS version, any and all details that you can share would be most helpful.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Paranoia == fact. unrooted Android works in such a way that you'd have to give permissions to the app to do it in the first place.
SO I guess if you're going around, installing apps, and choosing to give them access to your google account (still pretty sure they can't see your account info), then of course this will happen ?
edit on 14/3/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

The last one i installed just asked for permission to use my images and it still compromised my Gmail and told my my password was invalid.

BTW my phone is rooted and unlocked gsm phone. There are plenty of them being sold rooted now days brand new from the store. Like this one.

I am an advanced user and am aware of the risks. Some people are not.

Its not paranoia, there are people world wide who wish to get your information and use it for unscrupulous reasons. Fact.

There is no such thing as safe secure internet. Just different levels of it.

The most secure code is the code you write yourself and not share with anyone.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Root your phone, install a good firewall. That way you can block any app you choose from gaining access to Wifi, LAN, VPN, etc. It will also allow you to turn off GPS access which is really kind of nice. As long as you are using the phone you can be tracked by the cell towers but that's another subject.

The biggest problem with these phones is how invasive they are. I have an Atrix 4G that is rooted with new firmware and firewalls, also runs through Tor. I gave that one to my wife and I bought a Sony Z3 (for the camera and it's ef'ing amazing), I am about to root and re-firm that one before I start doing any "traveling."

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/14.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

All these "free" "fun" "really useful apps we all download are loaded alright...with spyware, maleware, phishers, key loggers, viruses, worms and Trojan...and some browser hijackers.

Your mistake is trying these apps out because they AMKE them look so interesting and useful to us in our everyday. Thats how they get us. Even using our mikes and cams to record or watch when we don't know it.

The one that got me was the flashlight apps. I thought it was such a cool thing...until I read the top 10 all have phishers and loggers and codes they put in when installed...that stay under the radar even if you delete them.

They make things so attractive and convenient for us all that we all want them....and by then....they got us.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I do realize this, its not a surprise nor is it new to me. My point is that its going on right under the Operating Systems creators noses.

This is clearly a breach of the terms of the app developers account.

Thanks for informing some of the lesser knowledgeable members of the site.

The point of this thread was for data collection of known malitious code for reporting.

I'm just surprised that there are so many of these apps out there. Its quite startling to be honest.

new topics

top topics

join