It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the scariest fictional book you've read?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm a massive fan of horror/paranormal fiction. The books I've found scariest are probably The Woman In Black by Susan Hill, Pet Semetary by Stephen King and The Mall by SL Grey.

What's the scariest in your opinion?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
When I was really young, probably in kindergarten, I somehow got my hands on my mothers copy of Salems Lot by Stephen King....holy crap, I did not sleep for days.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

wow, perfect answer imo. here i was thinking of steve king and dean koontz lol.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The Bible j/k

It would have to the book Whispers by Dean Koontz.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I had to think for a minute whether it was fiction.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am not really a big fan of horror but Weave world by Clive Barker is a good blend of fantasy and horror.

Definatley worth a read.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The Bible, and that is not me trying to make a joke. People actually believe it, even take it literally. Without going into detail its some pretty horrific stuff.

Mine Kamph would probably be 2nd.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
1984 by George Orwell

Because it is coming true.

It was supposed to be science fiction, but it is slowly becoming a reality.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a few of my fav's are: It, The mist, The Jaunt, The Ten O'clock People by Stephen king, The Taking, 77 Shadow Street and the entire Odd Thomas series from Dean Koontz.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I stopped reading fiction as I grew older, but when I was a little kid, these stories and especially the accompanying illustrations used to keep me up all night after putting the book down.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItVibrates
The Bible, and that is not me trying to make a joke. People actually believe it, even take it literally. Without going into detail its some pretty horrific stuff.

Mine Kamph would probably be 2nd.

For those of you who think the Bible is the scariest book around.

books.google.com... CeV4HSGg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tVcEVZKvMLSNsQSY1IDwAQ&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=what%20nazi%27s%20said%20about%20the%20torah&f=false

The Christian represents the ultimate threat to autonomous freedom,...

insisting as he does that freedom lies not in autonomous freedom and resolve,

but in the heteronomous adherence to the Bible.

(paraphrase of a direct quote from the link above)

Go to the link provided to see where this quote came from. Then ponder.

To find the quote, substitute the word Christian for Jew and the word Bible for Torah.

edit on 10Sat, 14 Mar 2015 10:58:56 -0500am31403amk146 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Where The Wild Things Are!

Being grounded, sent to bed without dinner, and then being kidnapped by monsters is a pretty horrific read.

Or maybe one of the Goosebumps books!

Say Cheese & Die

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

I grew up with Goosebumps which was pretty much Kiddie King so it was only natural that I got into king, and Salem's lot was the one King book that Creeped me out. I liked From a Buick 8 and Desperation as well but it was Salem's lot that I'll remember most.

Nowadays video games are far more scary. Amnesia makes King look like Dr Suess.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I've heard Salem's Lot is a great book and a great film as well...
Haven't checked them out yet!

Haven't read Desperation either but if it's anything like the film I'm sure I'd enjoy it, maybe more so than the film.
Crazy story!

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Tolkien's The Silmarillion. It was so bloody boring I was afraid I was going to hang myself.

If you can get through the set up in IT(about 600 pages) the rest it a fast, scary ride.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Haven't read Desperation either but if it's anything like the film I'm sure I'd enjoy it, maybe more so than the film.

The film has nothing on the book. The films only redeeming feature is Ron Perlman.

The same could be said about under the dome-the book is better. and personally I'd say that Under the Dome is one of Kings best works.

edit on 14-3-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
William R. Forstchen "One Second After".

It's scary because the events in it can actually happen and most likely would if an Electromagnetic Pulse attack on a electrically dependent country were to happen.

The aftermath that would ensue scares the bejesus out of me.

link   
Swan Song: Robert McCammon

Just a hint:. No spoilers:

Swan Song is a 1987 horror novel by American novelist Robert R. McCammon. It is a work of post-apocalyptic fiction describing the aftermath of a nuclear war that provokes an evolution in humankind.

"The President of the United States and his advisors are discussing how the Soviet Union is building up its forces for a nuclear strike. The relationship between the Soviet and American governments has deteriorated badly. Several months earlier, the War in Afghanistan ended with the Soviets launching mustard gas and other nerve agents at Kabul. India and Pakistan destroy each other in a nuclear war, Iran launches Soviet-supplied nuclear weapons at Iraq, and Soviet and American ships play cat and mouse in the Atlantic Ocean. With Soviet submarines closing on the east and west coasts, the President caves to pressure from his advisors and orders hunter-killer task forces to engage the vessels whilst American submarines blockade the Soviet Union." en.wikipedia.org...

And then the creepiness begins...

What more could you want?

Peace

link   
Peter Straub Ghost Story
Peter Straub & Stephen King The Talisman
Koonz Watchers
William Peter Blatty Legion
James Herbert The Fog...

new topics

top topics