It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Rising Oceans: VICE on HBO

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

My favorite line in the episode was when the guy is talking to the NASA scientist about how rapidly Antartica is melting.

Interviewer:"So this is a Holy S%*T situation?"
NASA Scientist: "No,it's much worse."

We are changing the map, forever. I hate saying this, because I keep saying it, but dammit, we do not deserve this planet!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Umm rising water and melting ice?

Antarctic Sea Ice Reaches New Record Maximum
www.nasa.gov...

Why is Antarctic sea ice at record levels despite global warming?
www.theguardian.com...

Has Arctic sea ice returned to normal?
www.skepticalscience.com...

Antarctic sea ice reaches record high, as Arctic hits 2014 minimum
www.rtcc.org...

With Ice Growing at Both Poles, Global Warming Theories Implode
www.thenewamerican.com...

Global Sea Ice Breaks Record High For The Day
www.climatedepot.com...

Just a few quick post.

Sea levels change all the time. Most coastal cities have been battling rising seas for hundreds of years. (Amsterdam anybody? )

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

You know the video went into the sea ice thing and no ones denying that sea ice has grown just that sea ice has never been an issue.

Did you watch the show? Just curious.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Did you watch the video? Obviously not.

Do you know the difference between land ice and sea ice? Obviously not.

Every single link you posted is about sea ice, but the topic in the video and the discussion thread is about land ice, not sea ice.

Nice try though.
edit on R442015-03-18T09:44:37-05:00k443Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Since others just replied about how you didn't watch the video, I'll go ahead and explain it since you either don't feel like or can't watch the video.

Sea ice doesn't affect the ocean levels because that ice is already in the water. So even if that melts, it was already displacing the same amount of water as ice so no change. The land ice is on the land and therefore does not already displace any water. So when the land ice melts and goes into the ocean, then you have the level change.

As far as why there's more sea ice, they say one of the reasons is due to the land ice melting. Sounds weird, I know, but they say that land ice melting is going into the ocean and affecting the salinity levels and that's why there's more ice.

Here's a link (with sources) that goes into more detail explaining the difference between sea ice and land ice: www.skepticalscience.com...

edit on 18-3-2015 by Pimpish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's lovely that the skeptics keep on pushing the Antarctic sea ice talking point. Their continued scripted use of this talking point just proves that they have no grasp on, to put it bluntly, thinking.

Think back about how many times people mocked researchers getting stuck in ice in Antarctica - comics abounded ridiculing these scientific endeavors.

Why did that happen, anyway? Basically, it was wind:

A polynya is an area of water kept relatively clear - much of the time - of sea ice, by a particular kind of polar wind. This katabatic wind blows pretty persistently towards the coast from the polar plateau in the continent's interior. However, routes through polynyas can close within a few hours if the distribution of sea ice in the general area changes with shifts in the wind direction and speed.

The Shokalskiy began to run into trouble towards the end of that day as it attempted to leave the area. Its location was close to the edge of a huge glacial system called the Mertz Glacier where it flows into the sea. Four years ago, the end of this glacier was smashed into many pieces by a gigantic passing iceberg named B09B.

Expedition leader Chris Turney, a professor of earth sciences at the University of New South Wales, said that the ice floes that surrounded his ship appeared to have come from the eastern side of the wrecked glacier front.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Whenever people joked about the expedition getting stuck I had a chuckle at them.

Almost half the population is below average intelligence and they were being very vocal with their ignorance.

Its funny to watch people act proudly about being ignorant.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Ugh, sadly it seems the video in the OP is set to private now. I wonder what happened?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Ummm...I apologize...I was unable to watch the video...(it says it's private)...I just wanted to add this into the mix...

As I stated...I was unable to watch the video...therefore I was unsure if the video included the sub-glacial melt due to tectonic volcanic activity under the West Antarctic ice sheet in their conclusion of...causes...to ocean level change...

Thank you in advance...I have read the thread in it's entirety and just wanted to be sure that we were all factoring in ALL of the variables...

YouSir
edit on 19-3-2015 by YouSir because: I needed to clarify...

edit on 19-3-2015 by YouSir because: added information to clarify...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

The video is no longer available on you tube forsome reason... HBO probably made them pull it.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join