It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SlenderMan Murderer Teens to be tried as ADULTS and face up to 65 years in prison!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

If they can be made well, then eventually release them. If not, they stay in captivity to protect the rest of society.

What you just described is what I would say, and for the most part what I have already alluded to.

You just said give them a prison sentence that keeps them behind bars until it can be shown they are 'made well' and no longer a threat to society'. Should that progress never be seen through continual psychological evaluations, then they should remain in 'captivity' to protect the rest of society.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Anyafaj

Wow I hadn't heard of this story until now. The Slender man connection is weird, they claim that they had visions of Slender Man and he threatened to kill their families if they didn't kill the other girl... I'm not sure if they're mentally ill or if they're just trying to use that as an excuse, or worse yet maybe someone has been messing with their heads.

In any case I don't think it's right to charge these children as adults. People are always making arguments for how children don't have the mental capacity to make informed decisions, especially when it comes to sex. So why in this case are they now mature enough to know exactly what they were doing? It sets a very bad precedent if you ask me...

This is where things are so messed up. They're not old enough to fight a war, not old enough to drive a car, not old enough to smoke, have sex, drink, etc..., yet old enough to go to prison and throw away the key???? To me it makes no sense? So we're essentially saying these two girls are not in any way, shape, or form redeemable? At all? Not even with therapy??? What does that say about us, as a society?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
I think the fact that this was something they planned and the put into place is what is getting them charged as adults. Instead, say, if it had been something done out of anger or another emotion. The cold blooded plotting to murder a friend is not kid like at all. Although honestly what they need is a lot of therapy. No sane child would ever come up with and go through with something like this.

Yes, part of it was planned. But part of this was passion. Usually once or twice to kill is planned. 19 times is passion. Heat of the moment.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I'm assuming juveniles are being tried as adults in certain cases because the juvenile judicial system isn't set up properly to handle these types of heinous crimes we're seeing these past couple of decades.

Pheonix358 makes a valid point that the juvvie system needs to get changed accordingly then.

If a crime demands a sentence longer than someone's 18th birthday, then there needs to be amendments to that judiciary process to accomodate such things.

It's just another case of outdated laws being ignored for decades on end, thus forcing the courts to try kids as adults in order to sentence them in accordance to the crime committed.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I don't condone murder but this is ridiculous. What's the point in even having a juvenile court system if minors are treated as adults? Or more accurately, how is it justifiable that minors can receive the consequences of being an adult without being able to receive the benefits of being adults?

That's the part that gets me. Minors should only face the same consequences adults face if they are also eligible for the same benefits adults are eligible for. Otherwise it creates a subclass of citizens. That was the whole argument for lowering the voting age from 21yrs old to 18yrs old. Our govt felt that 18-20yr olds were mature enough to be drafted & thus, fight, kill & die for their country, but weren't mature enough to choose their representatives.

As for the girls and other minors in these types of situations, I would be ok with a 15yr prison sentence, as long as it included education & rehabilitation programs. But up to 65 years is practically a death sentence, since prison health care and treatment are horrific.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

“This charging route was taken because if a juvenile is charged as a juvenile in juvenile court, the judge would have no option but to discharge at the age of 21,” she said.

www.freep.com...

Supreme Court rules mandatory juvenile life without parole cruel and unusual
articles.latimes.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: MrSpad
I think the fact that this was something they planned and the put into place is what is getting them charged as adults. Instead, say, if it had been something done out of anger or another emotion. The cold blooded plotting to murder a friend is not kid like at all. Although honestly what they need is a lot of therapy. No sane child would ever come up with and go through with something like this.

Yes, part of it was planned. But part of this was passion. Usually once or twice to kill is planned. 19 times is passion. Heat of the moment.

Or enjoyment. It was not heat of the moment, it was planned.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Or I already responded and dealt with that criticism and it's simply false. Look up blended sentence.
edit on 14-3-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

In the US, does a juvenile become an adult at 18 or 21 ?

I'm confused.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

I'm confused.

Depends on the State, 18, 19, or 21. Called Age of Majority.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I'm confused.

Wow... crazy confusing.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
Ok i will wade back in . Push a kid towards a fire and they will push back , same goes if it was a cliff . At 12 they have a very good grasp on death , they know it is permanent . They set out to kill this poor girl knowing full well that what they were doing was forever also there seems to be very little remorse from what i have seen , why would you give them a few years of juvenile detention . What sort of message is that sending . Not a very good one in my opinion but hey i am just a person who has never harboured a desire to kill someone .

You can give them say, 35 yrs, give or take. The first few to be served in Juvie, until they're old enough to be transferred to prison, receiving mental health one on one therapy at the same time, every other week and group therapy every week. If they were to serve the full bid, no parole, they would be roughly middle age by the time they were out. You could even have them serve the first half of their sentence in a locked down mental ward for kids to ensure they receive the group and one on one. My daughter was in a locked down ward after being forced to go there after hitting a nurse after a bad dream in the ER once. (She thought I abandoned her forever because the ER doc sent me home for the night. Because she hit the nurse, the ER doc got a magistrate to sign an order my daughter was 'dangerous" and got her sent to a locked down ward for a month.)

Procedures
You have to be buzzed into the building by security.
Once in, you go to a screened bulletproof window and give security your driver's license who locks it up, and sign in
They call for a nurse while you wait
Nurse arrives and takes you to a locked elevator
Nurse unlocks elevator and takes you to the floor where your child is
Nurse unlocks door to visitor area, then locks you in
Another nurse arrives with your child
You visit with your child, child's nurse calls your nurse telling them you are ready to leave
Nurse arrives unlocking door to let you out, locking visitor door again
Nurse unlocks elevator to let you on to go down
Nurse takes you to guard station
You receive your driver's license from guard as you sign out
You walk to door, Guard buzzes door to open it and you leave

As you can see, it is VERY secure with a lot of checks and balances. These girls attend classes to receive regular schooling, they're automatic lights at 9pm that go out every night, no calls after 7pm, so they're family can still contact them. They would attend regular therapy and group therapy sessions, and after they turn 18, they can transition to prison. I do not see an issue with that. Does something like that sound fair?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I'm confused.

Wow... crazy confusing.

Honestly it's 18 in like 45 of the 50 States, so not that confusing. Either way it has nothing to do with people making erroneous uninformed statements about the Justice System.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I'm confused.

Wow... crazy confusing.

Want even more confusion? If you're talking marriage, age of majority can even be as young as 15 in some states. But only in the case of marriage, and now, Virginia is talking of lowering the voting age to 16!, so more confusion for you, and the rest of us because if they lower the voting age, people will say, well if they vote, they smoke and go to war, so then they'll want the age of 18 lowered to 16, it all starts somewhere. LOL

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Righto,,, I'm sucked into this. Generally I sit back, read and digest. I enjoy AtS. In this case I wish to weigh my experience and perhaps argument.

Experience equals 26 years in the legal system with a heftly percentage of juvenile crime with some as young as 7.

Yes, I've been responsible for the incarceration of a few and I say thankfully. I have seen too much evil in a number juveniles particulary in the last 10 years of my employment. In some cases they were over the top.

A majority of those who were given bail or short terms reoffended. And it was scary. Can you imagine the threats to anyone of my children (7) at school or on social media from those who were released. Fact. I have 1 son and 2 daughters out of my young ones who suffered violence and broken bones hence I had to take leave from my profession. I was fair and just in my determination and thankfully I had a discretion clause in the way I dealt with criminal behaviour.

Juveniles or young adults are much more smarter and street wise than I was at their age. eg... 9 and 10 year olds stealing motor vehicles. Doing ram raids. Out running the cops. Just a small example of my cases. In some aspects I could not blame the parents who were devistated that their young ones could be implicated.

Murder is just another step in achieving adulthood in a lot of their minds. Some just do not care. Its a thrill. My 12 or 13 old thinking is outdated. (I'm the latter side of mid 50's).

Look at media nowadays! Kids beheading, suicide bombing and committing executions! I fear for my grandchildren. I hope I have instilled some moral standards in my children to pass on. For these young persons as outlined I cannot condone their behaviour. I would not let them unleased into society again.

I am sorry but I have lost belief in forgiving those who murder regardless of age. They know what they are doing. Too many repeat their offences when placed back into our society. If these young ones are released and recommit their past indiscrestions will those who supported their release stand up again and say, "They made a mistake!"

Kind regards,

Bally.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Yeah, it looks that way doesn't it? Outmoded juvenile system maybe needs a face-lift to accommodate killer children?

It still doesn't sit well with me that kids this young face decades of incarceration. You might have heard of this Norwegian case? It's well-known in England as being comparable to the murder of a 5 year old by two kids the same age as these two girls. The UK approach was similar to this ongoing US approach whilst the Norwegians had a media go-slow and a focus on rehabilitation. The Norwegian killers haven't gone on to repeat evil deeds whilst one of the Jamie Bulger killers has been on the radar several times.

Of course, at the heart of this thread we have cultural, political and national differences.

@ Occam - thanks for the link

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Oh the entire system in the US sucks and should be about rehab and is not. The way the juvenile/adult system works is just fine though. Again, look up blended sentence.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

They're not old enough to fight a war

I'd say that if they are in fact telling the truth then a war is what they were fighting. Their military leader known as Slenderman ordered these two soldiers to lead the attack on that innocent girl. By truth I mean what they sincerely believed.

not old enough to drive a car, not old enough to smoke, have sex, drink, etc..., yet old enough to go to prison and throw away the key????

...yet also old enough to plan to take an innocent girl out into the middle of a forest under the guise of bird watching and run a blade through her body nearly twenty times with the intention of leaving her there to die in agony. Old enough to then act on that plan.

It's tragic on both sides.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

What's the point in even having a juvenile court system if minors are treated as adults?

I believe a Law was passed so that they could only be tried as adults if it were homicide crime. Even then it's up to the discretion of the judge if that minor should be tried as an adult.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

This is where things are so messed up. They're not old enough to fight a war

Only because they have to have age proof to enlist?

not old enough to drive a car

TWOC?... Taking without consent .... otherwise *joyriding* a well known
teen pastime/offence?

not old enough to smoke,

Watch them coming out of school and lighting up when they leave the
school gates! I have while on the school run.

have sex, drink, etc...,

Might be against the law ... But they do? Only thing is that in these
instances they only harm themselves
Harming another is something else.

www.en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 14-3-2015 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join