It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to develope shields like in star-trek??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrisamatic
i suppose it could be possible to bend light with magnets but it would take an extremely powerful magnet to cause such an effect.

Yeah, hmm mabye a fusion reactor?
A couple of nukes?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
im sure it is possible for the united states to develop some type of shield. i dont know about the ones in star trek, but if they do figure out how to make an energy shield, it wont be for a while. but who knows, i might be wrong, and the government already has shields that are better than the ones from star trek, and are getting help from extra terrestrials.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I've been thinking of such idea too a while back.Though the idea may be possible with the kinds of technology with have right now,it would be very expensive.If such gadget were to be created,it'd probably be more costly than say a rifle the soldier is holding.

However,if this notion does become reality not too distant in the future,it'll be damn cool to see it in action.Hmm..Maybe some other cool stuff would appear along the way too like a light saber or something.A real life star wars eh?Ain't that fantastic.Will even have Bush as Darth Vader!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
"Do shields like in Star Trek exist?" Well, the long and short of it is no.

The EM Shield bit could have (extremely limited) potential in the long run, but there are several flaws in the claims of its proponents.

Because EM shields supposedly work on the basis of positive and negative charges, they won't work on most conventional objects. For example, if I were to throw a lamp at you, you wouldn't be able to repel it with an EM shield. That's because a lamp has no significant charge - it isn't positive or negative. And since the shields would effectively only work when one charge is stronger than the other, you'd need an HUGELY powerful shield to repel that lamp. We're talking multiple suns. There may be an imbalance in the lamp of a few hundred or a few thousand either way, but nothing real to capitalize on.

The supposed "Excaliber" technology is the most ludicrous thing that I've ever heard. Any supporters of it are undoubtedly either its owners or incurably stupid. It has "scam" written all over it. The technology is idiotic and dysfunctional, the explanation is scientifically nonexistant, and the prototype is something that I could build in a spare afternoon. Good god. The very fact that it could be considered in this forum is one reason why I never plan to waste my time reading this again.

Apparently this entire website is a ground for morons and conspiracy-theorists to voice their musings to an attentive audience. Do yourself a favour, and go outside.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaGundam007
look at the size of a reactor and reconsider your statement. No way infantry is gonna get a reactor even half that size strapted to their backs.

If we don't have the Excaliber within the next year (highly doubtful) then we can use reactors for shields for citys, we'll need them far smaller to be used in tanks or for individual soldiers.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sorry, I haven't read the link. My first reaction was one of, I guess so....through a magnetic shield...usefull against most shrapnal and bullets.....but a magnetic field that shrong is unhealthy for the person who'd be inside the shield.
A force field that detains people would probably have to pull on the iron in a person's body....and may well pull it out of the skin like in the XMEN movie.....though that would be fascinating.......and I think that they were all a part of the same basic shield design on ST.

And wouldn't Light sabers be tightly packed light particles, probably held together by the same technology as the afore mentioned?

Also, I remember reading one of the novels...where they took the cables and wires from a cargo bay, ejected it at an oncoming ship to destroy the ship. I think they were mostly for energy weapons. During the FTL, a warp bubbel protected them from debris (it's like taking 2 ends of a string and tying them together). I'm not sure, but they may have had a collection shield for actual debris...as many other SciFi novelists use, lol....

I'm sure someone will come up with a way, eventually...but I don't expect to sit around and wait for i, lol...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
an anti-gravity feild around an object would create a perfect shield, i do belive anti-gravity can be made now just it needs # loads of power and can barely life an atom but still time should fix this problem

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by WipEout
an anti-gravity feild around an object would create a perfect shield, i do belive anti-gravity can be made now just it needs # loads of power and can barely life an atom but still time should fix this problem

There aint no such thing though its been coined that, i recenetly was corrected by a friend about it.
Anti gravity is just zero gravity.
Mind you I know what you mean, a way to push objects away but one fault in that plan, what happens if the object is of the oposite charge to the shield?
Nasty , the object comes towards you faster!

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
refering to the excalibur technology, read up on physics a bit, in their explanation of how the technology works, all they did was take a few physics terms and throw them together into a completely BS explanation. To give a specific example, they refer to positrons, and say that "these particles are everywhere" and talk about them like they are no big deal, except for one thing, positrons are not normal matter, they are anti-matter. anti-matter does not exist naturally anywhere on this planet, to say the least, and as far as we know, anywhere in the universe that we have found yet, when anti-matter and normal matter unite they release a massive amount of energy, explode, so they dont exist here. That is just one of the MANY bogus things said in there. dont believe a word for it and for the love of god dont give these people any of your money, it's a scam, pure and simple, catered to people that dont know anything about physics.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Agreed on the scam...

A great explanation is here if you like to read...

www.calphysics.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Have you read up on Cold Plasma?

Space-borne protective energy systems, like the deflector shields on the fictional starship U.S.S. Voyager, are on the drawing board of real-world scientists.
These "cold plasmas" -- analogs to the sophisticated defensive grids envisioned by Star Trek's creators -- are ambient-temperature, ionized gases related to those found deep within the sun’s core.

Such plasmas are capable of shielding satellites and other spacecraft, making them invisible to radars, or both...

www.space.com...

www.iop.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

i suppose it could be possible to bend light with magnets but it would take an extremely powerful magnet to cause such an effect.

NO, you cant. The photon is not electricially charged, so its not affected by electric/magetic fields.

And wouldn't Light sabers be tightly packed light particles, probably held together by the same technology as the afore mentioned?

light sabres cant exist in the way you're thinking of. They'd extend continuously and would probably overheat rather quickly if they were as powerful as you think theyd be, and thats if they were possible in the first place.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by ZetaGundam007]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
refering to the excalibur technology, read up on physics a bit, in their explanation of how the technology works, all they did was take a few physics terms and throw them together into a completely BS explanation. To give a specific example, they refer to positrons, and say that "these particles are everywhere" and talk about them like they are no big deal, except for one thing, positrons are not normal matter, they are anti-matter. anti-matter does not exist naturally anywhere on this planet, to say the least, and as far as we know, anywhere in the universe that we have found yet, when anti-matter and normal matter unite they release a massive amount of energy, explode, so they dont exist here. That is just one of the MANY bogus things said in there. dont believe a word for it and for the love of god dont give these people any of your money, it's a scam, pure and simple, catered to people that dont know anything about physics.

The document is referring to virtual particles, which actually are ubiquitous according to quantum theory. Virtual positrons and electrons only exist for fleeting moments before annihilating each other, but they do exist in quantity throughout the entire universe.

Not trying to authenticate the document, but there is truth to it!

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan

Weapons expert, eh? I guess you haven't been reading up in the right areas then. Seekerof's recommendaton is a good start. Again, Tesla's had some good ideas in that area. The biggest hurdle to date is the power output needed for such a device. I agree it's not entirely practical now, but neither was aircraft usage 100 yrs. ago.

We could easily develope some form of shielding technology, but as Der Kapitan said, the power requirement is enormious. Its the same thing with Ion Pulse weaponry, its possible only the energy required to allow these devices to fuction is huge.

For shield tech we will most likely have to wait until we have a solid fusion power source. Cold Fusion maybe, if they ever figure that one out.

As for lightsabers, thats completely different than just tightly packed light particles. A lightsaber (theoretically) works by having a very powerful energy source consentrate a beam of high powered light ( a laser in lamens terms) through a perfectly clear crystal and than having the laser bend back on itself and reconnect to the energy source. This allows it to only use energy when it comes into contact with something. Or thats how its suppost to work in the Star Wars universe lol.

In most fictional mythos Shields are emmited by a generator using mass amounts of energy to create an "Energy Wrap" of sorts around an object. This wrap is just pure energy held in place by a repeating magnetic cycle. Thats all just fictional theory though.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by Zenic]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaGundam007
NO, you cant. The photon is not electricially charged, so its not affected by electric/magetic fields.

Planets do it

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Photons still have a super small electronic charge (just like all mass).

Thats why (theoretically) if you stand next to a black hole, all light will be bent towards th hole, no matter which way you look.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Trying to find a suitable thread for this.

The following couple of news articles aren't brand new - but I can't see them mentioned on ATS anywhere when I search (apologies if they are).

Anyway the article below describes UK tech being developed - first one is super-capacitor charged shields for conventional tanks:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The title of the article fits right in with this thread.

Second one is a bit older and more about developments in camouflage:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Does anybody know of any other 'official' releases on this kind of technology?
If so, I'd be interested if you could post the links on this thread or let me know if there is thread with this stuff already as I couldn't find it.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenic
Photons still have a super small electronic charge (just like all mass).

Thats why (theoretically) if you stand next to a black hole, all light will be bent towards th hole, no matter which way you look.

No photons have zero charge and zero mass. Experimental evidence is very clear. The point about the black hole is that everything in physics, even things with zero mass and charge, is affected by gravity--warp of the underlying metric.
edit on 20-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Could we? Yes

Will we? Yea

When? We run out of willing people to fight.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
nice joke. all the military things about is how to destroy shielding capabilities xD

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join