It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to develope shields like in star-trek??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If the goverment is spending billions on stealth,armour and camouflage why wouldn't they spend money on some type of energy shield?If they did develope a shield they wouldn't need stealth,armour or camouflage they could just go in and take out whatever they needed and not have to worry about RPG's or and other type of coventional weapon.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Read up on him, he had a few ideas similiar to the shields on Trek.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I don't think US or any governemnt is pouring too much money into shield development if any at all. First someone need to step forward to the miliatry with a decent theory...

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well if you used EM to manipulate the area around the object or craft then in effect you could create a very strong field where the object would be pushed away by the field because of it being ethier negative or positive.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Not sure thecry, but you can check out this topic thread (posted yesterday), maybe?
Shields Up! Former astronaut proposes protective system for spacecraft

seekerof

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I don't think US or any governemnt is pouring too much money into shield development if any at all. First someone need to step forward to the miliatry with a decent theory...

Weapons expert, eh? I guess you haven't been reading up in the right areas then. Seekerof's recommendaton is a good start. Again, Tesla's had some good ideas in that area. The biggest hurdle to date is the power output needed for such a device. I agree it's not entirely practical now, but neither was aircraft usage 100 yrs. ago.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yeah I see Star Trek like shields in the future(as in 20-100 years). The only thing really riding on this technology is the development of a small and incredibly powerfull powersource(ie Antimatter or Zero Point Energy which would be more powerfull BTW?) It would make alot of different weapons completly usless and a different type of arms race will begin. Maybe we'll go back to Knights and Swords(yet armed with modern day alloys and mono-filimant blades). If the shield only stops Positive or Negative charges, then make the suit detect and adapt its outershells polarity. Who knows though, its quite far off by our perspective. Historically its just around the corner though.

EDIT:
Here is some more links.

NASA's Need for Speed
www.universetoday.com...
www.niac.usra.edu...

[edit on 18-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus

For one thing it's not a theory, and I bet lasers wasn't very well acepted either but if you dump enough money into something you can pretty much accomplish anything!

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecry

For one thing it's not a theory, and I bet lasers wasn't very well acepted either but if you dump enough money into something you can pretty much accomplish anything!

Hey if you used EM then you could in theory bend the light and cause the laser to not work.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Nicola Tesla technolodies in USSR (possible with Artificial Potential EM Theory aka something higher than quantum theory):

EM Shield around aircraft

or.. a EM shield over a whole city or base

there goes your shields! Looks good on paper - can protect you againgst anything up to GAMMA RAYS

PS: dont label this thing as BS just because it might look impossible to you

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
You want power, here, check out the excaliber! One of these the size of a discman can power entire houses! Seriously, one or a few of those together could be good enough to make a shield of Tesla's.

www.evolvedtechnology.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Hey fadding, I hope these guys are right, however they haven't had a press release in over a year and a half. I e-mailed them awhile back and asked the current status of their technology, they say it is coming along, but I have my doubts. Did you manage to get more information out of them?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Its possible,but few things are impposible given enough time

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sigma
Hey fadding, I hope these guys are right, however they haven't had a press release in over a year and a half. I e-mailed them awhile back and asked the current status of their technology, they say it is coming along, but I have my doubts. Did you manage to get more information out of them?

Actually yes, I witnessed the technology! I offered to sponsor them for a demonstration, It looks great, and is working fine. I'll sure be getting myself one of these when they first come out for about 5000 USD in 2005. As of now there just working on marketing and patenting the final version(s).

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by faddinglight
You want power, here, check out the excaliber! One of these the size of a discman can power entire houses! Seriously, one or a few of those together could be good enough to make a shield of Tesla's.

www.evolvedtechnology.com...

WOW is excalibur real?? If it is real then know wonder the goverment hasn't upgraded the power grid! they must be just waiting for these things to go mainstream,we will never have another huge blackout with these puppies and we will be saving the enviroment.My only worry with this is terrorists might find a way to make it into a weapon.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
FCS vehicles were to be equipted with EM armor but I guess they canned that idea to get the vehicles out sooner...

EM armor is also gonna be the next big thing for infantry...

like devilwasp said...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Congratulations your a moron

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
too expensive for individual soldiers, power requierment also too high. unless you plan on strapping a reactor to your back, no.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesUK
Congratulations your a moron

Exscuse me ?
Do you have any idea what EM can do?
I mean the most simplest thing the US done was make a strawberry float and hell check out rail guns, THATS POWER.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Magnetic Shields and the sort are too expensive even in the distant future.
they would require a huge amount of gadgetery to make them work under all scenarios.

Say an enemy throws you a magnetic bomb, in this case the magnetic shield would even be helping them accelerating the bomb and thus provoking a lot more damage than if your target had no magnetic shield at all.

How about a very "low tech" approach, just brute force.

100 - 2000 meters of hard material around the target, steel, iron ore, reinforced concrete, etc.

Granted it would be very expensive, and assuming you would put this type of "shield" (more like super armor) in your veichle, the mileage would be really bad.

But its technically easier to make a 2km radius armour around a target than to make the equivalent magnetic/ Star Trekish shield.

Besides, this way we would go back to the battleships era... ah, the glamour. Those 400 mm guns... beautiful.

(the 2km is just a lucky guess, why not 10 km, etc, think Multi-Nuke proof)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join