It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard "The Hum" and what is it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I was letting my dogs out before I went to bed and realized that it was strangely quiet. I live in a village of about 70-100 people. About half a mile down from where I live is a main road that's usually easily heard 24/7. Tonight it was too silent. There was no wind, no night time insects and the main road was incredibly faint, TOO faint even. But from the silence I heard this low frequency humming sound. I couldn't pin point where it was coming from but it was there and was outside. I went on the internet to find out what it could be and stumbled upon lots of articles naming this "phenomenon" as "The Hum".

I've brought it to the Aliens and UFOs section of ATS as there were articles stating that secret military projects or ETs are the cause. I also brought it here because it felt very un natural, and the first thing that sprung to mind was ETs. It sounded like a very low pulsating engine. It was at a constant tone but had slight wobbles throughout the hum. That's the best I can describe it anyway. I would love to hear people's thoughts on this and if they've had a similar experience. The silence is key though. It's NEVER been that silent before.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jonwhite866

I've herd it no apparent direction ever where you look its not there I herd it at night with my recent x wife sent chills down both of us. It doesn't sound natural and its quite eerie like the greys from signs are about to appear any second.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I doubt it's ET.

Follow the sound and you will possibly come across an industrial pump or something similar.

Happened to me after sleepless nights drove me mad. All depends on the frequency and the lay of the land, things like that.

Turned out to be a large heating pump installed on a horse raising farm about a mile away. On days and nights with cloud cover and moisture in the air, the sound would bounce off those clouds, then get focused towards my house due to the "bowl" nature of the hillside.

They've since planted trees so not so bad now. How those nea to the installation put up with it I don't know.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

I've herd it no apparent direction ever where you look its not there I herd it at night with my recent x wife sent chills down both of us. It doesn't sound natural and its quite eerie like the greys from signs are about to appear any second.

For me, the sound came and went and moved around slightly. I was convinced it was in my head sometimes and it drove me mad.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Where are you located? Generally that is

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Yea I tend to agree but my happens in in urban area where sound usually drowns other sounds out. But indeed it was eerily quite displaying a characteristic of high strangeness and all you could hear was an all in compassing seemingly moving in the sky hum.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

There aren't any industrial pumps or plants of any kind near where I live. I'm about 3 miles from the nearest town and even then all electrical and power stations are on the other side. But like TechniXcality said, there is no direction of where the source of the sound could be. I should also mention that the skies were as clear as ever tonight. Not a cloud in sight.

Every night I let my dogs out before I go to bed and I've never heard the humming. I usually stand outside listening to whatever I can whilst waiting for my dogs to finish doing whatever it is they're doing so timescale isn't an issue either.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheDarkHorse

In a country side area in the eastern parts of England. Surrounded by fields.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonwhite866

Without sounding stupid it's not an electric fence I take it?

I have heard them give off a pretty intense zingy hum sometimes.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I'm about 3 miles from the nearest town and even then all electrical and power stations are on the other side.

My situation is comletely rural. 5 miles to nearest small town. The sound came from a farm.

Strange you have sound without clouds though. All I could suggest is try to get nearer the sound by driving or walking towrds it. If there is no general direction to follow then it really is wierd.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Could be something seasonal going on with a farm or perhaps work on a waterworks or roadworks, etc.

----------------------------------------------

I've often wondered if these "hums" are anything to do with tunnel boring machines??? Those things get everywhere I'm sure and there's no whay we would ever know about where or when. Kent would be "en route" to europe if London was the start point.

I'm sure there's more than one "chunnel".
edit on 13/3/2015 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Does it sound like this...???

I hear it intermittently when I travel up in Northern New Mexico. I seems much stronger after the sun sets.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

No. A friend opposite my house does have stables and many horses but they're kept inside during night and the fences are switched off. But even those fences are about 100 meters from my front yard.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Hmmm that is strange. I've heard rumors that places like Norfolk were once considered for underground MOD facilities but this was years ago. Perhaps this is the evolution of these plans. Maybe a change of location was needed to a less populated area. Either way, keep us posted. I'm intrigued

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
No neither, I'm terrible with describing sound so forgive me any audio gurus out there haha. It didn't have that cars on a road sound that you get. It was just a low hum or bass, much like a frequency sound but more bassy and with faint wobbles in them like a pulsating noise.

This is the closest resemblance I could find. It was very much like this however the tone was slightly higher in pitch so a lot less sinister than the one in this article, and the wobbles weren't as vibrant. Also take out the slight hint of white noise and that's the sound I heard. It had no type of trebly sound in it.

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 13-3-2015 by jonwhite866 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2015 by jonwhite866 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

It might interest you that I live closer to Rendlesham than I do Norfolk. Rendlesham being the place that's known for the UK's version of Roswell. Not close enough to tie this hum and Rendlesham together but distance wise, I'm A LOT closer to it.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Do you live near the sea? There are certain fish that congregate and produce mating noises that have freaked people out in the past. If that is not the explanation, and you are referring to another sound, I don't think anyone really knows. There are the loud booms that are often heard in certain areas, and then there are the humming sounds you describe. If this is an isolated incident then perhaps a conventional explanation is correct, but if this is something that has persisted with no explanation, I don't really know. My guess for such repeated incidents with no known explanation is some kind of geological phenomenon.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I could also be HAARP. From WIKI: "Generating very low frequency radio waves by modulated heating of the auroral electrojet, useful because generating VLF waves ordinarily requires gigantic antennas"

I HAARP is bouncing low frequency radio waves off of the upper atmosphere to heat the ionosphere as some suggest, who knows how it effects our global society. Perhaps it can be audible

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

If I could pick up a direction I'd have to go about it on foot. If I'm not outside in any way I can't hear it. In a car, in the house, in my garage, they're all useless when trying to hear it, but when outside it's so vividly there that I know it's not me imagining it haha. The silence was the bit that made me really wonder though. It was like my house was in a sound proof bubble, blocked from all outside noise. Twas strange indeed.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

I do not I'm afraid. I've read about the fish though, never knew that was a thing until today haha

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join